Things Your Parents Said

Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>
August 18th, 2018 at 1:24:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
My dad learned how to be on his own in the army, ww2. He picked up a lot of ideas like, you don't need kleenex when you can just use a roll of toilet paper.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 18th, 2018 at 6:11:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Even n the military the term for a personal care kit such as sewing thread, safety pin, band aid, etc was referred to as a housewife. A lot of the plates, silver ware, etc. could well be from a psychological stance of that is 'women's work'.

What tv show in the fifties or sixty ever showed a housewife going to a bathroom? They cooked and cleaned and worried about 'ring around the collar' all day but they never "pooped' hence the anti-pedestal tee shirts now sported that say "I pooped today".
August 18th, 2018 at 6:12:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: zippyboy
Amen brotha. Feel the same way here. My dad was absentee, no confrontation ever even though I did everything I could to force a reaction, discipline, fatherhood. Never came. I go years now with no contact. I visited him recently due to his poor health (he's 87) at my sister's insistence.

I have no idea how to be a father, and no desire to care/learn it. My dad has never asked why I don't have kids. I'm 54.

Things were not quite that bad, but had my mother went first it might have been years with no-contact, except that he had his friends he called every day around the same time. Old guys who kept contact. And how we passed word when he went, my brother just kept his phone a few days and answered it.

My mother one day said she found it interesting how all her kids turned out different, different reactions to how we were brought up or something. My siblings have kids and a fairly normal family life. I just said "the hell with this" and ended up sort of a curmudgeon living alone. The quiet is wonderful!
The President is a fink.
August 18th, 2018 at 12:02:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
My siblings have kids and a fairly normal family life. I just said "the hell with this" and ended up sort of a curmudgeon living alone. The quiet is wonderful!
One of those tearjerker stories they use as click bait is a Golden Lab who would come over to a woman's house, sleep for a few hours and then leave. The dog lived in a home with six kids and sometimes needed a rest from all the stress.
August 18th, 2018 at 12:30:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
One of those tearjerker stories they use as click bait is a Golden Lab who would come over to a woman's house, sleep for a few hours and then leave. The dog lived in a home with six kids and sometimes needed a rest from all the stress.

Heard that one. I feel for the dog!

I read the book by Henry Hill's kids. His son had a friend who lived a fairly normal suburban life and loved visiting. His kid wanted to go to his friend's place. Hill's kid wanted the quiet, his friend the excitement.
The President is a fink.
August 19th, 2018 at 4:41:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
All my life I've heard the statement
in movies and TV: When did I turn
into my father. Now that I'm late
60's I remind myself more and more
of my dad.

Mostly it's a physical thing. Harder to
stand after sitting. Move slower. Stuff
I made fun of my dad about because
he was 35 years older than me.

But my attitude is getting more like
his. I don't suffer fools at all any more.
I am often impatient at incompetence.
I talk about the past a lot, because I
have so much of it. I give people
advice when they don't ask for it.

I'm realizing that me thinking an old
person was out of it when I was young
was wrong. They'd done what I was
doing and it was boring to them. Them
seeming not to care was really them
thinking what an idiot I was. Like I do to
young people now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 19th, 2018 at 4:57:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob

But my attitude is getting more like
his. I don't suffer fools at all any more.
I am often impatient at incompetence.
I talk about the past a lot, because I
have so much of it. I give people
advice when they don't ask for it.

Now, advice, that is the fun part of getting old. One guy I worked with was doing brakes on the car. I sounded like my old man as I explained doing them to him. He was having some kind of issue and I figure I helped by the way he was listening and reacting. At a funeral I was talking to some younger kid about his lawn business. I gave him an idea or two, I know he was interested because he kept pressing me on what I was saying about building his business. Similar time but online, kid asking how to get a job, I told him some ideas and he replied back with a thanks, that nobody ever told him such ideas.

I just flow with advice when it might keep a young guy out of corporate rat race hell.
The President is a fink.
August 19th, 2018 at 9:13:48 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
I just flow with advice when it might keep a young guy out of corporate rat race hell.

You can steer him away from some of life's stress at a young age by reminding him to wear a condom.

and another life lesson from Rich Dad, Poor Dad, low-income and middle-income people get their income from one source, their paycheck from one employer.
Rich people get their income from many sources, like rental property, stock market, or licenses from music, written or filmed stories.

Bob: what say you? lol
August 20th, 2018 at 1:34:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: zippyboy
Rich people get their income from many sources, like rental property, stock market, or licenses from music, written or filmed stories.

Panhandlers must be doing better than I thought.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 20th, 2018 at 3:32:39 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
Panhandlers must be doing better than I thought.
Believe me, we are not.
Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>