Things Your Parents Said

Page 3 of 14<123456>Last »
August 11th, 2018 at 9:34:26 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
If I was standing in a manner that blocked his view of the TV, my grampa would tell me "You make a better door than a window." I've never heard that before or since, but I remembered it.

My ex-wife's mother was a 3-generation Texan, with all kinds of nutty Texas cliches, some made no sense to me at all. like:

"She really got her tail over the fence on that one."...said in reference to someone who got irrationally angry over some little insignificant thing.

"I ain't gonna buy that now, and hafta wag it through the store."...to carry an unnecessary burden. Also was a convenience store in her little town (near Tyler TX) called "Bag-n-Wag"...as in buy it, bag it and carry it home.

If she thought someone was being lazy, she'd have a little song/dance of "She ain't hide nor hobbled, nor too fat to squabble." Then my wife would teasingly ask what squabble meant, and MIL would do the dance of shaking her booty and jiggling her arms like a dance maybe from the film Pulp Fiction, "squabbling like a chicken!"

She was a hoot.
August 12th, 2018 at 4:47:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: zippyboy
If I was standing in a manner that blocked his view of the TV, my grampa would tell me "You make a better door than a window." I've never heard that before or since, but I remembered it.

We always heard that as kids. Also "I know you are a pain (pane) but you are not a window!"
The President is a fink.
August 12th, 2018 at 4:53:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
That whole generation was like that.

Not like this. His whole family was nuts that way. His dad unplugged a clock to save the power it used. He was beyond OCD on it.

He would see something on TV about any kind of charger not plugged in and scream about those. He did not understand that a house with 4-6 chargers is not the problem an office building with hundreds is. I was going to buy him one of those meters you plug in the wall to see how much power you use for Christmas to show him how silly he was being, but I was afraid when he did see it would make things even worse.

We were selected as an Arbitron(r) household once, and you had to "dock" the pods nightly so they would send the info in. Missing a night was not a huge deal but after missing too many they might drop you. It paid $15 most months, sometimes you got a bonus. He keeps unplugging the GD docking station! That one I had to yell at him for. He said it "used power" and I told him how little. Then I said, "you are like a guy who bent over to pick up a nickel and missed the guy handing out $10 bills because he walked by you while you were bent over!"

After that he left it plugged in.
The President is a fink.
August 12th, 2018 at 11:20:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Not like this. His whole family was nuts that way. His dad unplugged a clock to save the power it used. He was beyond OCD on it.

It's also a lack of knowledge of
how electric works. Like the final
ep last year of Saul. The idiot
brother turns off the breakers
and the meters still moving. So
he tears his house apart looking
for whats doing it.

He unscrews all the lightbulbs.
Right there is a total lack of
knowledge on how switches
work. It had to be a faulty
breaker, my bro in law is an
electrical engineer and says it
happens all the time. Turn off
an old breaker and it's not really
off.

He says the old fuse systems were
far more reliable than breakers.
A fuse will always blow, no matter
how old it is. And when you throw
the physical switch to off, it will
always be off. No so with breakers,
especially if their older than 20
years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 12th, 2018 at 11:45:18 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
You running a grow house?

No, I live in the desert and keep the house at 78. I can't imagine what the people that keep their houses cooler are paying.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 12th, 2018 at 11:57:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich
No, I live in the desert and keep the house at 78. I can't imagine what the people that keep their houses cooler are paying.

I can't imagine paying that much for
a utility. In MI, in the dead of winter,
my gas bill is never over $225. And
only for Jan and Feb.

People justify it by saying, it's hot in the
summer but winter is nice. I bought
into that when I moved to Calif for
7 years. I soon found that the days
are so short in the winter, that the
weather trade off really isn't worth
it. By the time I got home at 6 pm,
it was dark for most of the winter,
just like MI.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 12th, 2018 at 12:00:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
I had thought about posting a poll to see what temp people set their a.c. at? Ours is also set at 78, it seldom cycles off when the temp outside gets over about 107.

A friend of ours just moved here from AK, and like many others when they arrive start remaking their homes into whatever they dream. They bought IDK maybe a 1800 sq. ft. modern place with a "boat deep" bay in the garage, probably 65 ft, deep?

One of his "had to have it acquisitions" was to add to full house size ac units onto his garage. He wants it to be "house cool" in his boat bay. So that's two ac's for the garage and I think one for the attached house. I may have to get him drunk in order for him to divulge what his electric bill is?

At the same time he added roof top solar, and solar heating for his pool. That had to be at least 15k just for two more ac's? He may have the potential to melt down the utility wires coming to his house?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 12th, 2018 at 12:24:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
I had thought about posting a poll to see what temp people set their a.c. at? Ours is also set at 78, it seldom cycles off when the temp outside gets over about 107.

75 when I go to bed, I sleep better when its cool
80 when I get up. Now that I am up and working in my home office, don't need the place so cold.
My townhouse averages the 78 you set yours at :-)
I am in hot Tampa but the AC is fairly new. I am the original owner of my townhouse built in 2003. I replaced AC about 5 years ago and the new unit can get the place real cold. It definitely cycles on and off.
My neighbor still has the townhouse original equipment which no longer works well is next to mine in the back outside. It takes a while to replace a system and the worker mentioned the neighbors never shut down the whole time he was replacing mine. He said that's not good.
My new modern system uses a lot less electricity. When my new unit was installed, they also switched out the circuit breakers on my house circuit breaker box because the unit uses less electricity.
I live in a 2 story 3 bedroom townhouse and my electricity bill last month in hot July 98.89 :-)
Being in a middle unit townhouse, the sun really just hits the roof, back of my unit and in the front 2nd floor because got a 2 car garage in the front.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 12th, 2018 at 12:32:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
I had thought about posting a poll to see what temp people set their a.c. at? Ours is also set at 78,

I have window units in the rooms
that have air. Mine shut off at about
67, lower than that is too cold.
August 12th, 2018 at 12:46:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
I live in a 2 story 3 bedroom townhouse and my electricity bill last month in hot July 98.89 :-)
Just got our July bill [online] it is 309.97. We had at least two weeks that were above 112* each day, the other days, were just hot.

I put a window unit in my garage, It just doesn't have the capacity to do anything when the temp outside is over 105. My wife doesn't care to park in there, so it's just empty space but occasionally if I drive her vehicle, when I come home I back it into the garage. That brings 2900 lbs of metal into the air space, no way to cool anything down with that giant heat sink in there. Might as well leave it out in the sun, and let the UV do it's work on the rubber.

"Havasu isn't hell, but you can see it from here"
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 3 of 14<123456>Last »