Things Your Parents Said

August 12th, 2018 at 4:54:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
That is probably true of central heat as well (particularly electric), but people are spoiled. You could wrap the pipes with tape with an electric heat, and just heat the rooms you are in.

I do have Electric heat and tend to use only portable space heaters in the mild FL winter
Since I live alone and work at home, I simply use the space heater for whatever room I am in
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 12th, 2018 at 5:10:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Sleep science has determined that we
sleep the soundest when the room
temp is 55. (find a woman that will
put up with that)

I keep my bedroom at 60 in the summer
and 62 in the winter. I have a friend
that's 70 in the summer and 75 in the
winter. And they both where pajamas
to bed. The mind boggles.

I just ordered a Sleep Number(r) bed with the cooling option. Supposed to get it about 10F lower than the ambient air in the room.

In summer, I like mid-60s. In winter a little higher. I think it goes back to the heat of the objects in the room. Things don't stay warm in the winter. So you need the few degrees on the thermostat to warm it up. Though I used to leave the windows open and close the door in January to get it down to less than 50. That was good sleep.
The President is a fink.
August 12th, 2018 at 5:27:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Though I used to leave the windows open and close the door in January to get it down to less than 50. That was good sleep.

Decades of sleep research shows we
wake up less often and sleep sounder
when the room is 50's. Just pile on
the blankets.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 12th, 2018 at 5:37:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
We get the Kodiak daily mirror, second or third hand, wife really likes their cw puzzles. I was just reading how Anchorage broke a heat record for July 3rd, set in 99. The high temp for the day was 77*, beating the record of 75* set in '99 and '79.

Average for the week July 1-7 is 58* and 48 for the low. lol

I had mostly wood heat for 18 years, and really liked it. Nothing warms up a cold body like a wood stove, the next best heat is oil. IMO. If it got to cool, just close the window, if it was to warm open the door. Even at 30 below it's nice to have the air exchange.

My first year down here, as soon as the thermometer would hit 85 I would be laying on the floor panting like a dog.

I will have to check that sleep # bed, didn't know they cooled.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 12th, 2018 at 5:43:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph

I will have to check that sleep # bed, didn't know they cooled.

It is an option on some of them, I think not the lowest in the line. I really need a cool bed, I sleep awful and will do anything to improve sleep.

Comes in 8 days. If you or anyone want a review remind me about Labor Day or so. I got the adjustable as well, might get back to reading in bed.

One thing is if you do it, go to the store, don't buy online. It takes an hour or more, but they really show you the product and explain sleep. I side-sleep, but the adjustment had me ready to doze off in the store.
The President is a fink.
August 12th, 2018 at 6:44:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I sleep awful and will do anything to improve sleep.
Do you have trouble getting your brain to turn off?

My nutritional guru turned me onto a nutrient called GABA. I get mine from a multi level vitamin outfit named NOW. It's probably similar to Swanson's or others?

https://www.google.com/search?q=gaba+by+now&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS787US787&oq=GABA+by+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10450j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I swear by the stuff, if it's the mind racing that is the problem. The guy that informed me takes it during the day at times also. I take two at night if the mind won't stfu. It works, I have told others and they have thanked me.

I also read up on "sleep hygiene", that probably matters, but I'm pretty stubborn on that. Not supposed to read anything digital for 2 hours before bed.

I have to sleep sitting up, so the mechanical bed might be just the ticket?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 12th, 2018 at 7:00:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Gamma amino butyric Acid is something that has been praised for years but I avoid anything thru multilevel marketing.

Adustable beds: buy the delivery and set up packages. Well worth it. And have a GOOD grounded power strip available to protect the electronics of the bed from surges or the like. Very important. Be sure you are familiar with the remote packages. And if you didn't buy a wall hugger then don't use your bed as a wall hugger.

And never, never give the remote to a teenage nymphette.
August 12th, 2018 at 9:26:17 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
No one has AC here in western Washington. In 25 years living here, I've never even seen a window AC unit. Rarely ever gets over 85 here where I live, so we open windows and sleep with fans.

Quote: DRich
No, I live in the desert and keep the house at 78. I can't imagine what the people that keep their houses cooler are paying.

I keep the central heat in the winter at 63 or so.
August 12th, 2018 at 9:59:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
No, I live in the desert and keep the house at 78. .

You live where there is no humidity,
big difference. Most of what AC does
is remove water from the air. 78 in
my house in July is sweltering because
the humidity is 60%. Turn on the air
and an hour later it's 40%. Right now
in my bedroom it's 60 and the humidity
is 35%.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2018 at 2:31:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Do you have trouble getting your brain to turn off?

My nutritional guru turned me onto a nutrient called GABA. I get mine from a multi level vitamin outfit named NOW. It's probably similar to Swanson's or others?

Huge, huge problem there. Huge.

Quote:
I also read up on "sleep hygiene", that probably matters, but I'm pretty stubborn on that. Not supposed to read anything digital for 2 hours before bed.

I have to sleep sitting up, so the mechanical bed might be just the ticket?

I try the no-digital thing a bit, but that one is way hard in this day and age. Part of the reason for the adjustable is I need to let acid drain to my system. Few months back I woke up near choking at about 3 AM. Buddy upstairs was a huge WTF the next day. I used to put the top of the bed on a 2x4 to get some drainage.
The President is a fink.