Things Your Parents Said

August 13th, 2018 at 10:17:21 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: petroglyph
I had thought about posting a poll to see what temp people set their a.c. at? Ours is also set at 78, it seldom cycles off when the temp outside gets over about 107

Ours was set at 78 for a number of years, we just set it at 76 for this summer.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 13th, 2018 at 11:10:06 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Few months back I woke up near choking at about 3 AM. Buddy upstairs was a huge WTF the next day. I used to put the top of the bed on a 2x4 to get some drainage.

I've slept on a 45 degree angle for 20
years, changed my life. I use pillows
to get the 45. On my back all night,
I never change position. No more
breathing problems, no more back
pain, I never wake up.

I've read it's also good for your internal
organs, it keeps them where they're
supposed to be all night. And your head
is above your heart, no blood pooling
in your head.

It's easy to try it, you might be amazed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2018 at 11:51:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

It's easy to try it, you might be amazed.

When the new bed comes it will be. One part, the topper, arrived today. For some reason it comes from a different place.
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2018 at 12:11:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
When the new bed comes it will be

When people complain about sleep, I
used to tell them about incline sleeping.
They act like you're trying to get them
to take poison, some even got mad. I
never talk about it now, screw em.

Personal habits are like religion. How dare
you question it, or anything they're used
to doing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2018 at 12:19:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
When people complain about sleep, I
used to tell them about incline sleeping.
They act like you're trying to get them
to take poison, some even got mad. I
never talk about it now, screw em.

Personal habits are like religion. How dare
you question it, or anything they're used
to doing.

I have tried a little bit of the incline thing, not a great deal of help for me. In the store the saleswoman had my head and legs raised, it did feel more comfortable. It is about "pressure point." Most of us lie and have a lot of pressure on one part of the body. This thing evened it all out. Not side sleeping will be weird. But if I sleep better anything would be worth it. I have one window blacked out 90% and soon will do the other, when I pull the A/C unit out.

Last night I somehow sprained a toe in my sleep yet again. Ugh.
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2018 at 12:45:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Not side sleeping will be weird.

You'll get used to it. Our organs are
not attached in our bodies and when
you sleep on your side gravity pulls
them out of place and crowds them
together. Bad, especially as you get
older. Sleeping on your back has no
such stress internally. Just keep trying
and in a month you'll find vast improvement.

I'm a sleep scientist in my own life,
sleep is very important. If I don't
get enough, my whole day is ruined,
I'm only operating at 80% mental
capacity.
August 13th, 2018 at 12:56:39 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Last night I somehow sprained a toe in my sleep yet again. Ugh.
Do you have restless legs? Some people kick in their sleep, maybe you kicked and a toe hung up on the sheet? https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/restless-legs-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20377168

Anybody I have asked in the powerline business that I have asked has said yes, they have had the dream where they are falling in their sleep and sat up rapidly and grabbed hold.

The kicking can be pretty physical. I've never noticed it since sleeping inclined. I think sleeping elevated also has helped with total digestion as well? I had that GERD in the past, and it can have some serious side effects.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 13th, 2018 at 1:10:20 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm not particularly a fan of decubitus but it is certainly quite common and people do tend to turn over several times a night. Supine does seem more comfortable particularly if there are severe problems. Inversion therapy (hanging upside down) is controversial women actually seem to do well with this yoga-like lie on the floor and put your legs against the wall. Its all a measure of desperation.
Most of those adjustable beds have a 'memory' position or two so that if you find something you really like you can go straight to it.
The remotes usually have a flashlight and also an underbed light button that illuminates obstacles but does not wake your brain up as much as turning on a room light does.

Between a foam mattress, slight elevation of my head, more radical elevation of my feet and an occasional automatic massage when I hit the wrong button, I'm doing okay.

Its often a whopping investment but I've never really regretted it or worked out exactly how many of those Starbucks Frapacinnos I had to forego to get it.

Inclined sleeping used to be common but even brief daytime inversion therapy seems strange to me and some docs say its dangerous.
August 13th, 2018 at 1:53:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph

Anybody I have asked in the powerline business that I have asked has said yes, they have had the dream where they are falling in their sleep and sat up rapidly and grabbed hold.

I more dream I am "slipping" than "falling." I will actually feel my whole body move.That might have done it.
The President is a fink.
August 13th, 2018 at 1:57:58 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I more dream I am "slipping" than "falling." I will actually feel my whole body move.That might have done it.
Slipping is more correct, my statement should have said slipping.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW