I love to sleep

Page 1 of 3123>
August 30th, 2018 at 2:59:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
The Sleep Number(R) bed arrived about a week and a half ago, so here is the promised report.

As my old bed was falling apart, it is hard to say how much better *anything* would be. But this is very nice. There is a get used to it period. First nights I had way more head/foot adjustment. Now much closer to flat, but still can crank it if I need to. $1 a night for the rest of my life worth it.

The cooling feature is nice but the control leaves something to be desired. It gets upset if you just leave it on, so I set the timer nightly. I cannot foresee using the heat function at all.

Noticed today that my neck is in better shape than it was. Previous it was bad enough it was hard to drive if it was bad. Now on the mend.

Most interesting thing is my phone tells me how I slept. Shows how long it takes to fall asleep. Last night I felt like I fell asleep fast, and it was only around 15 mins! Night before almost 2 hours! What does not help is it kind of "reminds" me if I could not fall asleep. OTOH, it gives this little "score" of how well you did. It tells you when you tossed and turned. Novelty will wear off I am sure.

Last thing is there is this underbed light. Get up to, er, you know. Light shows your way back.
The President is a fink.
August 30th, 2018 at 3:15:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yeah I got one of those adjustable beds too. No heating or cooling at all. Two massage units with timers; two adjustable segments (head and foot), lots of memory positions, lots of variety on the massage sequences, a 'flat' button, a flashlight feature as well as the under bed light that will illuminate any objects left on the floor or blocking access in any way.

I've yet to plug anything into the chargers but they are there.

Its not rally the cost of the bed, its the cost of your not having the bed that counts.
August 30th, 2018 at 3:19:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
It tells you when you tossed and turned..

I'm telling you, get used to sleeping
on a 30 incline on your back and you
will never move during sleep. And to
get to sleep, think about a recent
dream you had and try to relive it.
Your brain will play the game and
you'll be asleep in no time.

I actually use a recurring dream I've
had for years and it usually works.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 30th, 2018 at 3:24:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The Sleep Number(R) bed arrived about a week and a half ago, so here is the promised report.
Thanks for sharing
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 30th, 2018 at 3:50:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I'm telling you, get used to sleeping
on a 30 incline on your back and you
will never move during sleep. And to
get to sleep, think about a recent
dream you had and try to relive it.
Your brain will play the game and
you'll be asleep in no time.

Lifetime side sleeper so that will take some time.

Quote:
I actually use a recurring dream I've
had for years and it usually works.

That does not work for me, it makes my brain race. I often cannot sleep because my brain will just not shut down. I get any kind of idea in my head and my brain keeps working on it.
The President is a fink.
August 30th, 2018 at 4:03:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Lifetime side sleeper so that will take some time.

Me too, until I changed it by accident.
It's amazing how much people will
fight against changing habits, even
when they know the change would
be beneficial. I've had people get
mad at me for even suggesting they
might get rid of their sleep issues.

"Don't tell how to sleep, I've been doing
it all my life!!!" Good for you, congrats.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 30th, 2018 at 4:12:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Me too, until I changed it by accident.
It's amazing how much people will
fight against changing habits, even
when they know the change would
be beneficial. I've had people get
mad at me for even suggesting they
might get rid of their sleep issues.

After I start sleeping better I may try to change. One issue I have is I got a crappy stomach. An angle will help it, but I can end waking up choking like Jane if I am on my back. Happened a few months ago really, really bad. Like enough to kill me if I could not have gotten up fast enough.

EDIT: One kind of disturbing thing when you deal with this place is the employees tell you their sleep number. I get they use the product, but weird.
The President is a fink.
August 30th, 2018 at 5:15:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
After I start sleeping better I may try to change. One issue I have is I got a crappy stomach. An angle will help it, but I can end waking up choking like Jane if I am on my back. .

Laying down, yeah. But at an angle gravity
prevents that. It used to happen to me,
I would wake up choking and terrified. Not
anymore.

Of all the benefits of angle sleeping, and
there are many, I think the best is less blood
goes to your head and that helps you go
to sleep and stay asleep. And the internal
organs thing is important too. There's a reason
hospital beds have kept people on an incline
for the last 100 years. It benefits everything.
August 30th, 2018 at 6:10:51 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
My only experience with Sleep Number was at a hotel that had them installed. As I recall they were air mattresses without the tilt, heat, nor cooling functions. You could adjust the firmness by dialing it up or down. The compressor was kind of noisy.

Is your mattress the same air filled design? How noisy is the compressor?

Mrs. Carumba would be very interested in the cooling function if it actually works, but I am wondering about the actual mechanism. Does it circulate cool air through the mattress? If not, how does it work? Why does it get "angry" if you leave it on?
August 31st, 2018 at 2:28:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Ayecarumba
My only experience with Sleep Number was at a hotel that had them installed. As I recall they were air mattresses without the tilt, heat, nor cooling functions. You could adjust the firmness by dialing it up or down. The compressor was kind of noisy.

Is your mattress the same air filled design? How noisy is the compressor?

Mrs. Carumba would be very interested in the cooling function if it actually works, but I am wondering about the actual mechanism. Does it circulate cool air through the mattress? If not, how does it work? Why does it get "angry" if you leave it on?

The hotel ones are a bottom of the line model. There are a few levels of mattress and the tilt function is an extra cost option. Also an option is a heater for your calves and feet. You cannot even hear the compressor and once you have your number you never use it.

FWIW I dropped my number from 50 to 45 (goes in 5s) and sleep better. So you have to play with it as well as get over that you "need a firm mattress."

The cooling feature is this little pad that sits on top. If you have 2 people in the bed you need 2. It blows cool air thru it. It is NOT a replacement for A/C and it just gets it up to 10F cooler or warmer somehow. You can very slightly hear the fan at first but after a few nights not so much. If you leave it on it says it needs to "cycle" for some reason I did not read up on. So I set the timer for 9 hours at bedtime and that is that.

Anyone buying PM me, I think they gave me a discount code so we both get a bonus.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 3123>