2 votes (40%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (20%)

5 members have voted

September 7th, 2018 at 3:03:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
KDKA is a PIttsburg clear channel station and the only "K" that is east of the Mississippi. By 'clear channel' I am referring to a frequency allocation without any nearby nighttime conflicts so that rural areas distant from the transmitter will have nighttime access to the station. This has no relationship to the religious programming network known as Clear Channel that operates zillions of supposedly 'local' radio stations from central facilities.

There are a few other Ks in the east. Pittsburgh just lost its second, KQV, former home of now famous radio personality Jeff Christie.

It used to have the frequency all to itself, anywhere. I used to see how far away I could catch it at night, got it all over the eastern half of the USA.

I thought Clear Channel was mainstream?
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2018 at 3:33:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
I thought Clear Channel was mainstream?
Mainstream in programming but it acquired many of its stations thru FCC religious programming requirements.

DXing KDKA used to be a common activity back in the days when AM radio actually meant something. Now a lot of AM stations rent out their antennas rather than make money from programming. Cell phone providers don't need to go thru hearings if they use an existing antenna.
September 7th, 2018 at 4:51:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
Mainstream in programming but it acquired many of its stations thru FCC religious programming requirements.

DXing KDKA used to be a common activity back in the days when AM radio actually meant something. Now a lot of AM stations rent out their antennas rather than make money from programming. Cell phone providers don't need to go thru hearings if they use an existing antenna.

I have heard of Navy guys listening way, way out in the ocean. IIRC one host used to have a show where people could call in collect to see what the reach of the broadcast was and drove the GM crazy with the phone bills.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2018 at 6:32:37 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
How the radio worked without power was another mystery I guess.

It had rechargeable batteries. They were recharged on the exercise bike.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 7th, 2018 at 6:45:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard

Did rechargeable batteries exist then?
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2018 at 7:05:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Did rechargeable batteries exist then?

Rechargeable lead acid batteries go back to the civil war, just a few decades after commercially viable batteries were available.

What you are thinking of is nickel–metal hydride (NiMH) and lithium-ion rechargeable batteries which became available after 1989 which were much more efficient and could run electronics.
September 7th, 2018 at 8:00:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
Rechargeable lead acid batteries go back to the civil war, just a few decades after commercially viable batteries were available.

What you are thinking of is nickel–metal hydride (NiMH) and lithium-ion rechargeable batteries which became available after 1989 which were much more efficient and could run electronics.

Yeah, but I doubt lead-acid batteries were used in D-Cell. We had NiCad in the early 1980s.

We'll forget for the moment about why they even had a bike and how they got all the copper and magnets to build a generator.......
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2018 at 8:11:21 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Wizard
I think there was one episode where the professor built batteries out of coconuts?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 7th, 2018 at 8:15:57 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Yeah, but I doubt lead-acid batteries were used in D-Cell. We had NiCad in the early 1980s.

We'll forget for the moment about why they even had a bike and how they got all the copper and magnets to build a generator.......
Had lots of wire from the boat. Same with a generator. The batteries don't have to be D-cell and the voltage doesn't have to be exact either.

added; the bike could have been flotsam and Jetsom
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 7th, 2018 at 8:25:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph

added; the bike could have been flotsam and Jetsom

??
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 5<12345>