Help me cut the cord

Page 6 of 7« First<34567>
November 30th, 2018 at 2:40:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: GwoAE
Well comcast just came and they need flaggers to install because I live on a main road. They are coming tomorrow with a bucket truck and flaggers.

Or so they say. Comcast are notorious liars
when it comes service.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2018 at 3:58:27 PM permalink
GwoAE
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
Or so they say. Comcast are notorious liars
when it comes service.

Its ok if they dont come. You get $50 credit for a missed appointment time.

So now the next thing that I need to figure out. What to do with local channels. Do you guys just buy an antenna. My tv doesn't have a tuner. Also I was looking at a cloud DVR. Does anyone use one for live antenna tv?
November 30th, 2018 at 4:28:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Its ok if they dont come. You get $50 credit for a missed appointment time.

So now the next thing that I need to figure out. What to do with local channels. Do you guys just buy an antenna. My tv doesn't have a tuner. Also I was looking at a cloud DVR. Does anyone use one for live antenna tv?

You sure there is no tuner? The antenna just buy at wmt. At most twenty bucks. If you have an older tv (pre 2007 or so) you need a digital converter. On eBay or I might have one I’d send you cheap. Turn it all on and tell it to search channels. They will come in clear or not at all. Then good to go.
The President is a fink.
November 30th, 2018 at 5:06:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
My tv doesn't have a tuner. Also I was looking at a cloud DVR. Does anyone use one for live antenna tv?

The FCC does not permit manufacturers to call any device without an ATSC tuner a television. They must be marketed as displays or monitors. What brand is your display? Visio?

Channel Master sells devices that have ATSC tuners and DVRs, plus they sell antennas
https://www.channelmaster.com/Set_Top_Boxes_s/27.htm
Streaming Media Player and OTA DVR for TV Antenna
Our media player integrates streaming services & games with live TV and includes an on-screen channel guide with DVR capabilities. The powerful Android TV™ platform includes Google Play™ store, Live Channels™ DVR and built-in Chromecast™.
$149

Silicon Dust sells 2 tuner OTA boxes for $99 and 4 tuner for $149. They also sell 1 tuner box for $86, but that is a false economy
https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/
They also sell a 45 channel streaming product for $35 a month which includes core cable channels. The number of simultaneous streams depends on the number of OTA tuners (1 stream per tuner). They sell a DVR service as well (HDHomeRun DVR Software $35.00 / year with a 2-month free trial)

But before you do that, many of the streaming products include ABC/NBC/FOX. You can purchase CBS All Access for $7 a month. You can watch CW for free with any box. Also there are websites where you can reasonably determine what kind of antenna reception you can receive. For all practical purposes, I can only watch PBS and local news via antenna.

Many people say they want DVRs, but all they really want to do is to pause live TV for up to an hour to eat or to go the bathroom. They also want to be able to rewind Live TV and review something. You can actually purchase a 32" TCL Roku TV that will do those simple functions for less than $149. You can dedicate your current screen to watching IPTV.
November 30th, 2018 at 6:02:02 PM permalink
GwoAE
my father in law has the same tv as we do which is a 50 inch insignia lcd, bought in 2012 ish. He has an antenna hooked up. I just did a search of channels and it didn't find any. Does that mean that I have a tuner in the TV, but just need an antenna to pull the signal into it?

I think the only reason that I am thinking I want a DVR is because if we keep our only streaming as roku then watch the other cbs shows via antenna, it would be nice to record them. I am wondering if you record them over the air with a dvr, does it work the way a vcr used to where you have to have it turned to that channel for it to record.
December 1st, 2018 at 8:46:20 AM permalink
GwoAE
Just got my install done. Now have 80mbs internet and no cable tv. Now gotta figure out how to get live tv. Timing is bad because Pit championship game is on tonight
December 1st, 2018 at 8:57:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Just got my install done. Now have 80mbs internet and no cable tv. Now gotta figure out how to get live tv. Timing is bad because Pit championship game is on tonight

Sling Blue includes NBC ($25 a month). They will give you 7 days for free to try it out and see if you like it. You need a box. Cheapest option is $30 for Roku Express at Walmart.

https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-plan-tab-2-s-2
December 1st, 2018 at 3:14:50 PM permalink
GwoAE
I just spent 2 hours looking at every streaming place. I made a list from my DVR and made a spread sheet to see what had the bestbmatxhes. Hulu live appeared to have the best match. We would only lose TLC and MTV I think it was. I just signed up for hulu live with the free 7 days to try it out.

I have a question though. I have been using my blu ray to steam and it seems slow. Is that my blue ray or is that just how streaming is. The actual play is fine but going to and from screens is slow.
December 1st, 2018 at 4:12:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I just signed up for hulu live with the free 7 days to try it out.

I did Hulu free twice. The streaming was
faulty and their movie selection sucked.
Bad.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2018 at 6:46:53 PM permalink
GwoAE
Just ran out to the store and bought a roku. Wanted to get fire stick but stores nearby are out of them. Hopefully for all we do it will be fine.
Page 6 of 7« First<34567>