Musical instruments you play, or want to play

Page 2 of 4<1234>
September 17th, 2018 at 10:32:41 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I wanted to learn bagpipe, too. A town I visit in the summer puts on a bagpipe parade every week.

Here are 10 rock songs that use the bagpipe:
https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-10-best-uses-of-bagpipes-in-rock
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 17th, 2018 at 10:56:52 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I got to hear a lot of accordion back in the day when the Grateful dead were touring
Bruce Hornsby showed up at a lot of shows to play with the Dead
Sometimes he showed up with a Grand Piano that the roadies would set up on stage
Sometimes he just showed up with an accordion
I was at the show below :-)

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 17th, 2018 at 11:12:35 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

Those accordion straps must have been pretty long.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 17th, 2018 at 11:19:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Dalex64
"Melodica Men" have some great videos on YouTube.

Thanks for turning me onto them! As I wrote in the comments, this is outstanding on so many levels:

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3L_jYY2KC8
September 17th, 2018 at 11:39:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
You have to at least like Cajun accordion music
]

For maybe 8 seconds, then I want
hurt myself and others. It all
sounds the same.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 17th, 2018 at 1:19:31 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard
To be honest, I've been plugging away at Moonlight for years and still can't close the deal.

Assuming you mean the first movement (say you can play the third and I'll flip my s#$% =p), it's the time signature. It's like 3/4 or something wholly unnatural. I always had to sit a bit and just tap in groups of threes to sort of force my brain into that groove before I could even attempt a play through.

I've never really been a musician, preferring instead to express that art vocally. I assume it was the sports that kept such extra currics way outside my radar. Always enjoyed being a part or witnessing, but never could find that thing that made it stick. I grabbed a bass in my 20's and garaged around with a couple guys, but that was mostly doing songs I didn't like; it just gave me something to do with my hands while I sat in a pool of drugs, usually. The bass led to piano (or keyboard, if that matters) and there I started what felt like a seed planting. I really enjoyed it, or was at least enjoying the discovery. No training, just brute force pecking. And always just dumb stuff. I loved tapping out "The Entertainer", I guess it was just childish glee or Looney Toon nostalgia. Was fun to be in a swanky joint and bang out hockey fight songs, you know, just stupid stuff. I of course had to learn Moonlight Sonata because I grew up with the OG horror game Resident Evil, and was working my way through that and a bit of Mozart when I snapped my hand in half. Haven't played since =/

Since my ring and middle of my left hand no longer move independently of each other, all the instruments I'm keen on (piano, guitar, banjo) are pretty much shot. Sold the keyboard, sold the bass, and only have a 12 string classical Pops got in Italy while serving in the Navy. For the last 2 or 3 years I've been messing around and I can still play, I'll just never really play because I can't do several necessary chords, like an F. Best I can do is mute the top 4 and just hit the 2 high notes. Lets me fake through, but usually sounds like s#$%. Ah well. I taught myself a pretty good rendition of Buenos Tardes Amigos, and that's Good Enough for me =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 17th, 2018 at 2:15:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Face
Assuming you mean the first movement (say you can play the third and I'll flip my s#$% =p), it's the time signature. It's like 3/4 or something wholly unnatural.

Yes, the first movement, in the key of E. I play what I think is the full-blown version, not a simplified one. In other words, this one, which I need to pay attention. I play it too loud and fast.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbTVZMJ9Z2I
September 17th, 2018 at 2:46:30 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I have, in the past, worked on Maple Leaf Rag and Claire de Lune.

For each of them I could play a few sections, but never the whole thing.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 17th, 2018 at 2:59:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
When I was 12 I played the trumpet until the music teacher at school suggested I take up sports. He was correct, I was awful and to this day I do not understand peoples attraction to it. It is just noise to me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 17th, 2018 at 6:38:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: DRich
When I was 12 I played the trumpet until the music teacher at school suggested I take up sports.

Good for him/her. Most teachers wouldn't have the nerve to say that today.
Page 2 of 4<1234>