8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

January 11th, 2019 at 3:31:01 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: ams288

If Trump wins in 2020, it will be in an electoral college squeaker after losing the popular vote (again).

I hope we're on the timeline where he wins the popular but loses the EC. I just wanna see it.

Quote: SOOPOO

That being said, I'm still trying to find someone who will let me take whatever Democrat is nominated over Trump in a bet for 2020.

Does it have to be specifically "whatever Dem is nominated", or can one wait to see who is nominated?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 11th, 2019 at 3:37:59 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
Laugh while you can. It's not as funny to me as it used to be. That is part of the change that kids make on a person. If it was just me, my thoughts would differ.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in."
January 11th, 2019 at 4:09:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Does it have to be specifically "whatever Dem is nominated",

It won't matter, the Dems have an
empty bench this time thanks to
Hillary's 'inevitable' win. She screwed
them till 2024.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2019 at 5:23:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Having kids changes a person. Some for the better.

Laugh while you can. It's not as funny to me as it used to be. That is part of the change that kids make on a person. If it was just me, my thoughts would differ.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/01/10/fed-paid-banks-38-5-billion-in-interest-on-reserves-in-2018-slickest-annual-wealth-transfer-from-taxpayers-to-banks/

Could have built almost 7 walls with the interest paid to banks.

So I have heard. Maybe the best example was a simple line on "Law and Order" when IIRD Briscoe said to his partner, "Even if I didn't know you had kids I'd know you don't have kids."

But it does not change the fact that it is all over. The West is done. Then some other part of the world must dominate, but we see the disaster that every other society is, except those that adopt western ideals. Africa, Middle-East, South America? All a mess, all the time. Never get more than a few years of steady progress.

I just saw a YT video from one of my favorite channels. Was about a guy who created a mouse utopia. Clean, lots of space, all the food the mice wanted. No predators. He thought the mice would breed to the point of being too overcrowded to survive. Didn't happen. Instead "pair zero" bred and the rest bred to a certain point, then reproduction virtually stopped. They lived in their land of plenty in comfort, until it all died off.

The West hit that wall in the mid-1960s. Then the birthrate started to decline to sub-replacement level. It keeps falling. It's over. We had Rome. We had the Brits. We had American hegemony. The first two fell. The third is in collapse as we speak. Prep your kids best you can and enjoy the decline.
The President is a fink.
January 12th, 2019 at 5:31:27 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
Here we go again, people mistaking
what they want to happen with what
will really happen. What you mean is,
you hope he won't be, you can't
possibly know what's going to happen.

Exactly, it is quite Hume-ian of them
January 12th, 2019 at 6:25:17 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
It won't matter, the Dems have an
empty bench this time thanks to
Hillary's 'inevitable' win. She screwed
them till 2024.

I'm too much an apolitical homebody to ever bet politics. I don't know what I'm doing and I don't spend money that way.

But an empty bench v an empty suit is just the kind of nonsense I'd take a coin flip on.
January 12th, 2019 at 6:33:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: beachbumbabs
I don't think he has the experience to be President.

Ho ho ho! Good one.

Quote: AZDuffman
I just saw a YT video from one of my favorite channels. Was about a guy who created a mouse utopia. Clean, lots of space, all the food the mice wanted. No predators. He thought the mice would breed to the point of being too overcrowded to survive. Didn't happen. Instead "pair zero" bred and the rest bred to a certain point, then reproduction virtually stopped. They lived in their land of plenty in comfort, until it all died off.

Reverend Malthus must be rolling over in his grave.

Kind of what happened to the French from about 1850 to 1900 without the benefit of plastic condoms or the pill or even massive warfare.

January 12th, 2019 at 6:36:18 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I hope we're on the timeline where he wins the popular but loses the EC. I just wanna see it.

Does it have to be specifically "whatever Dem is nominated", or can one wait to see who is nominated?

Also responding to Wiz wanting 2-1. I will take even money that DJT is not the president after this term is over.
For now, Face, yes, I'd bet on the unnamed Dem beating Trump. I think I'd take Trump over Biden. For some reason Trump going senile is not that big a deal, but Biden on the way there will not play as well.....

I have not been great at these predictions, and "it's the economy, stupid", does heavily favor Trump. I also believe the House launching a few dozen more investigations into Trump will help him with moderates/independents, not hurt him.
January 12th, 2019 at 9:58:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

But an empty bench v an empty suit .

Good thing Trump is the polar opposite
of an empty suit. The epitome of one
was teleprompter Obama, empty empty..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2019 at 11:32:13 AM permalink
Face
Quote: SOOPOO

For now, Face, yes, I'd bet on the unnamed Dem beating Trump.

I figured that part. It's hard for me to state my exact question...

I guess I was more wondering if you were saying basically "I don't care who it is, Trump will win" or if it was more an AP-ish wager, as in "It looks good based on what I see now, and I'm only betting on now as someone could pop up later". Personally, I'd not even make a gentleman's wager on the chances now, but if a certain personality pops up at an appropriate time in the future...

They feel like two different bets. Almost in the 1:6 v 1:11 vein.