8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

April 23rd, 2020 at 1:00:24 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Gandler
Afghanistan turned around in many Providences when we left. When we were there in force, the Taliban operated as a guerrilla force. Now they blatantly control territory.

Trump has done some good on this front by authorizing more airstrikes and getting some more troops there (not nearly enough to the levels of before) and now the troops can only take an advisory and technical roles, American troops are not supposed to be on the front lines, and the Afgan National Army is simply not yet built up enough to handle such a complex task of controlling all of these pieces of land.

Fighting for decades is not stupid, in many cases it is necessary. Because like the Vietcong, Al Queda and their supporters (Taliban) know that Americans have war fatigue. And, that is they can hold out they will win. They can never win in an open battle, so they hide and draw things out, and try to cause civilian casualties to cause hatred on both sides..... Being willing to go the distance and never back down is the only way to eventually win (shows them that their war fatigue strategy does not work).
That's some sick stuff very Bush43/Hillary perpetual war/nation building ideology. No thanks.
April 23rd, 2020 at 1:29:28 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
What you are saying is Afghanistan cannot be controlled unless a WWII style occupation is done for decades. Simply not worth the cost. Look up "Pyrrhic victory." it is what you are describing. Some places need to be left to rot.

Yes, that seems to be what history indicated in Afghanistan.

No, I disagree completely. As the greatest nation in the world we need to help societies that are struggling to stabilize them and increase their quality of life.

Take something as simple as female literacy? After the Taliban lost control in regions, and females were allowed in standard school female literacy rates shot through the roof. Every territory freed from Taliban occupation makes a difference for those that live there.
April 23rd, 2020 at 1:31:27 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: pew
That's some sick stuff very Bush43/Hillary perpetual war/nation building ideology. No thanks.

Everyone says Nation Building like its a bad thing. I am a proud neocon.

I do believe in building better nations. I believe all countries capable should help countries struggling with turmoil. And, that does not just mean military, that means humanitarian aid, medical aid, etc....
April 23rd, 2020 at 1:59:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
What you are saying is Afghanistan cannot be controlled unless a WWII style occupation is done for decades. Simply not worth the cost. Look up "Pyrrhic victory." it is what you are describing. Some places need to be left to rot.

No, I disagree completely. As the greatest nation in the world we need to help societies that are struggling to stabilize them and increase their quality of life.

Take something as simple as female literacy? After the Taliban lost control in regions, and females were allowed in standard school female literacy rates shot through the roof. Every territory freed from Taliban occupation makes a difference for those that live there.

No, we have no business in nation building. We help nations around the world in ways you will never know. We do not need to invade a hellhole like Afghanistan and try to nation build. If you want to help that nation it has to be de-islamed, and that is a nogo these days.
The President is a fink.
April 23rd, 2020 at 2:23:54 PM permalink
Gandler

No, we have no business in nation building. We help nations around the world in ways you will never know. We do not need to invade a hellhole like Afghanistan and try to nation build. If you want to help that nation it has to be de-islamed, and that is a nogo these days.

I agree 100%. But, that involves education. We need to teach secular values and treating people as equals.

But, that is hard in a country that is heavily indoctrinated, it will take generations.
April 23rd, 2020 at 3:59:11 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO

Does that help for those in the 'no big deal' or 'hoax' camp?

I agree it is no hoax, but at what point is something statistically significant? I understand it is subjective but if the bodies stretched from New York City to St. Louis I would argue that is not significant. Roughly 1 million people.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 23rd, 2020 at 4:26:27 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Swing state polls released in the last 24 hours:

Dems can’t replace Biden soon enough!!! /sarcasm
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 23rd, 2020 at 5:08:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
Swing state polls released in the last 24 hours:

Dems can’t replace Biden soon enough!!! /sarcasm

Biden is a shoe-in to win
in Nov, just like Hillary was
at this time in 2016. And all
summer long. How could she
lose, all the polls had her
winning by huge numbers.
Certain people never learn
from the past.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 23rd, 2020 at 5:08:10 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Everyone says Nation Building like its a bad thing. I am a proud neocon.

I do believe in building better nations. I believe all countries capable should help countries struggling with turmoil. And, that does not just mean military, that means humanitarian aid, medical aid, etc....
So you're a racist elitist?
April 23rd, 2020 at 5:10:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: pew
So you're a racist elitist?

Racist? No.

Elitist? If you mean that I believe Secular Western Values are better, then yes.

And, we should be doing more to export out values to the developing world and regions that are in turmoil.