No votes (0%)
2 votes (25%)

8 members have voted

September 26th, 2018 at 10:01:24 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: odiousgambit
I won't look it up but I think it is called Calvinism. I understand they've got it covered for someone who would belong to the church but thinks he can sin by saying a person who is one of the elect would be unable to sin willy-nilly , it wouldn't be in them and they actually are proving they are not one of the elect by this willful behavior. Not sure how it goes for someone who sins in a weak moment and regrets it. Might depend on how fundamentalist the sect is.

I respect those Christians who at least try to set a good example and worry about the state of their salvation.

However, I encounter few like that. The kind I seem to meet agree with the bumper sticker that says, "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven," which I interpret to mean, "I'll sin as much as I please, because I'm forgiven" as they cast judgement about everybody else.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
September 26th, 2018 at 11:43:49 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I respect those Christians who at least try to set a good example and worry about the state of their salvation.
However, I encounter few like that.

Xtionity is the biggest ego driven religion
in the world. It's all about me me me. My
salvation, my god, my Jesus, god taking
care of me, my prayers, thanking or blaming
god for everything in your life. So silly
and such a giant waste of time.

Mark Twain said something like, oh well,
it's harmless and gives people something
to do. He's right, it's a harmless hobby now
that they can no longer forcibly convert or
burn people alive because god tells them
to.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 26th, 2018 at 12:37:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I agree with about 95% of what Jesus said. However, I see Christianity having turned into something 180-degrees away from what Jesus preached. Most Christians are I know are very judgmental and all about fighting against homosexuality and the theory of evolution. I don't think that was what Jesus meant the emphasis to be.
September 26th, 2018 at 12:42:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
I agree with about 95% of what Jesus said.

Too bad he never said most of it.
They made it up decades later,
after he died. Read a book called
The Jesus Seminar, written in the
80's. Bible scholars say Jesus
actually said about 25% of what
is attributed to him..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 26th, 2018 at 3:11:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Too bad he never said most of it...

I have no evidence either way on that. What I'm saying is I agree with 95% of what the gospels allege that he said.
September 26th, 2018 at 4:01:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
I have no evidence either way on that.

There's actually lots of evidence, but
too much to get into again.
September 26th, 2018 at 7:18:26 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I have no evidence either way on that. What I'm saying is I agree with 95% of what the gospels allege that he said.

This is a much truer statement than the one Evenbob is making based on the Jesus Seminar folks. Most Scripture scholars today dismiss the seminar folks completely. Of course this will start some more he said she said but I just didn't want you thinking the Jesus Seminar stuff is legit.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 26th, 2018 at 7:19:04 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I agree with about 95% of what Jesus said. However, I see Christianity having turned into something 180-degrees away from what Jesus preached. Most Christians are I know are very judgmental and all about fighting against homosexuality and the theory of evolution. I don't think that was what Jesus meant the emphasis to be.

I agree with about 95% of what the Wizard said.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 26th, 2018 at 7:46:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
This is a much truer statement than the one Evenbob is making based on the Jesus Seminar folks. .

You don't like it because it tears down
everything you were erroneously taught.

According to the Jesus Seminar:

Jesus of Nazareth was born during the reign of Herod the Great.
His mother's name was Mary, and he had a human father whose name may not have been Joseph.
Jesus was born in Nazareth, not in Bethlehem.
Jesus was an itinerant sage who shared meals with social outcasts.
Jesus practiced faith healing without the use of ancient medicine or magic, relieving afflictions we now consider psychosomatic.
He did not walk on water, feed the multitude with loaves and fishes, change water into wine or raise Lazarus from the dead.
Jesus was arrested in Jerusalem and crucified by the Romans.
He was executed as a public nuisance, not for claiming to be the Son of God.
The empty tomb is a fiction – Jesus was not raised bodily from the dead.
Belief in the resurrection is based on the visionary experiences of Paul, Peter and Mary Magdalene.
September 28th, 2018 at 4:39:57 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I like the word "Pastafarian"!
Page 2 of 4<1234>