What does an executive really need in air transport?

Page 1 of 3123>
October 3rd, 2018 at 1:14:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
What does an executive really need in domestic air transport? Does he need a private jet that can fly 3000 miles across the country, or does he need transport capable of vertical take off and landing that will fly 300/450 statute miles?

Obviously it depends on the person, but flying back and forth from LA to Vegas in less than 25 minutes without the need to go to the airport is very attractive.

https://transcend.aero/aircraft

Obviously the British Queen would be happy with a Transcend as it is 400 miles from her castle in London to her castle in Scotland.
October 3rd, 2018 at 3:53:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Need or Want?

Trips from headquarters to far flung factories might be in the cost benefit calculations but I daresay trips from headquarters to Las Vegas, Miami Beach, Favorite Fishing Hole, Famous Golf Course(s) will be in mind.

Its the old task of getting to and from the airport that really takes time and adds a day to many travels. Add in traffic jams, TSA groping, onboard disturbances, sardine class billed as First Class, etc. and everyone will WANT such an aircraft.

"Empty seats" means wife, kids, secretary and "secretary'' might be flying too.

Many industries fly patients, organs, spare parts, technicians, salesmen to places that are distant from local airports.

FedEx will love this and San Francisco residents and Seattle residents already complain of too many Amazon delivery trucks flitting about all day long on narrow streets without parking places.

Range is not all that important as a quick "pit stop" is still going to be shaving time of the total time to destination that an airliner at an airport would consume.
October 3rd, 2018 at 4:02:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I think the payload is a bit low but Flight Into Known Icing and the same 'geofencing' that drones have are good sales points.
October 4th, 2018 at 5:26:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Need or Want?

Economists don't use those terms. You could probably live in a Shanty town given enough food and never travel anywhere and given decent medical care you are likely to live longer than the average person 200 years ago.

Airbus made a high speed (cruise over 400 mph) long range helicopter test helicopter that first flew 8 years ago. I'm sure it could sit 6 people.

These "Fly Auru" executive flights are attractive because they fly from private jet terminals, so security hassles are minimized

$280 CHICAGO ATLANTA (20" by 44" seats, wifi, gourmet food, cute girls)
It seems almost affordable, but there are a lot of fees making it pretty expensive.

October 4th, 2018 at 7:51:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin

These "Fly Auru" executive flights are attractive because they fly from private jet terminals, so security hassles are minimized

I am fortunate that the company that I work for has a few small business jets. Our planes are not fancy at all, more like riding in a minivan, but the convenience is what private travel is all about. In our case we have our own private hangar which makes it even easier. I can leave my office, drive to the hangar in 5 minutes, open the gate, park car in hangar, get out and get on the plane. It is not unusual to be taxiing to the McCarran runway within 15 minutes of leaving the office.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 4th, 2018 at 9:34:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Time, convenience, energy?
Executives want to get to the destination and not be frazzled. Salesmen, technicians, its a matter of getting a problem solved without having to expend extra time and then have to recuperate from the ordeal.

The State of Florida routinely booked 'standby flights' for state employees. They have no idea who will be flying or why, but when they need to fly some state employee they don't want to have delays involved.
October 4th, 2018 at 8:10:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
I am fortunate that the company that I work for has a few small business jets. Our planes are not fancy at all, more like riding in a minivan, but the convenience is what private travel is all about.

Could you imagine a day when your company would pay for pilot lessons and purchase the 6 passenger $2 million Cirrus Vision jet? Or would the insurance cost overshadow the savings from professional pilots.

October 5th, 2018 at 5:59:54 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin
Could you imagine a day when your company would pay for pilot lessons and purchase the 6 passenger $2 million Cirrus Vision jet? Or would the insurance cost overshadow the savings from professional pilots.

In general no. The executives are usually working in some fashion which they would consider more valuable than flying the plane, One of our executives has his pilots license and his own jet and used to fly a fair amount. Today even he uses the pilot pool.

We tend to buy older used planes. People are surprised that you can get a Cessna Citation for under $1 million.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 5th, 2018 at 7:15:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
pilots will soon be in very much higher demand and it will be outside companies that hire them, give them experience hours on their log books and then have them leave for 'the majors'. Business executives can be too valuable to be low time pilots flying a high performance aircraft. A younger man with higher time in type and time in a simulator is a safer pilot and therefore a cheaper one than using the business executive who is a low time pilot without recent experience.
October 5th, 2018 at 10:19:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Cessna Citation Longitude (first deliveries later this year) costs $27 million

Cessna Citation Lattitude (first deliveries 2014) costs $17 million

Quote: DRich
We tend to buy older used planes. People are surprised that you can get a Cessna Citation for under $1 million.

As Citations have been flying since 1972, I am not surprised they come at any price. A Mustang (Range: 1,343 miles) could be up to 12 years old and probably cost $3 million brand new. But I assume maintenance costs are very high on a million dollar Citation.

A $2 million brand new Cirrus Vision has a limited range of
1,381 mi with 200 lb payload at economy cruise speed of 276 mph
690 miles with 1200 lb payload at max cruise speed of 345 mph

I don't know how far you have to fly.
Page 1 of 3123>