Cellucotton

Page 1 of 212>
October 7th, 2018 at 6:47:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
Yes, I searched briefly about electric unicycles for some "hike" you were going to do as part of a bucket list or something and now even though I'm booted off Amazon, they are still pushing ads to me.

You have to see an ad for something. I, personally, have nothing against targeted advertising. I'd rather see an ad for a unicycle than tampons any day.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 7th, 2018 at 7:04:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I'd rather see an ad for a unicycle than tampons any day.

Tampons were invented in the US
and went on the market as Tampax
in 1949. That's as much as I care
to know about the subject..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 7th, 2018 at 8:49:55 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Evenbob
Tampons were invented in the US
and went on the market as Tampax
in 1949. That's as much as I care
to know about the subject..

Just something to think about the next time you use a tissue. The ladies discovered that you could take the Tampax apart and get tissues out of it that were good for removing make up and other uses. KimberlyClark the manufacture then started marketing the tissues as a separate product called Kleenex.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 8th, 2018 at 7:34:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: kenarman
Just something to think about the next time you use a tissue. The ladies discovered that you could take the Tampax apart and get tissues out of it that were good for removing make up and other uses. KimberlyClark the manufacture then started marketing the tissues as a separate product called Kleenex.

The Wikipedia page on Kleenex makes no mention of this connection.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 8th, 2018 at 7:50:48 AM permalink
kenarman

I did get confused on the Tampax which was much later. It was Kotex sanitary pads that were being taken apart. I will see if I can find a link for you.
October 8th, 2018 at 10:17:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I don't think there is a connection except that Kotex and Kleenex other than they were both made by the same company.

Clever marketing got people to use the word Kleenex instead of a more generic name like tissues, so they were never buying a competitors product. With "sanitary napkins" the urgency was more acute, because women didn't like to use any specific words with male clerks. It became easier for delicate women just to ask for Kotex as it was just a brand name.

I am assuming the grumpy looking woman is the laundress in this advertisement.

Cellucotton, the material used to make Kotex sanitary pads, was used in World War I hospitals for bandage. Nurses quickly figured out that it was infinitely better than just a homemade cloth pads which weren't very absorbent. Kotex pads went on the market at the end of World War I.

Tampax tampons went on sale in the 1930s.
October 8th, 2018 at 1:34:22 PM permalink
kenarman
Cellucotton was also the material that was used to make the Kleenex. It was the first soft paper product and was developed in Germany. KimberleyClark was the first US company to have the foresight to go to Europe and find out how to make it.
October 8th, 2018 at 3:37:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: kenarman
It was Kotex sanitary pads that were being taken apart. I will see if I can find a link for you.

That makes sense Kotex was first marketed in 1920 and Kleenex was marketed in 1924. But my guess is the Kotex was pulled apart for tissues for makeup removal.
I doubt that men pulled apart Kotex just to have soft tissues to blow their nose. I imagine they used handkerchiefs .
October 8th, 2018 at 3:42:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
You have to see an ad for something. I, personally, have nothing against targeted advertising. I'd rather see an ad for a unicycle than tampons any day.
Which is perhaps the reason that US Customs officers receive training concerning the manufacture and packaging of sanitary napkins.
October 8th, 2018 at 3:45:51 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Pacomartin
That makes sense Kotex was first marketed in 1920 and Kleenex was marketed in 1924. But my guess is the Kotex was pulled apart for tissues for makeup removal.
I doubt that men pulled apart Kotex just to have soft tissues to blow their nose. I imagine they used handkerchiefs .

It was definitely was for cleaning makeup. Hence the name KLEENex. It didn't take off as a product until they started an ad campaign to promote it for blowing your nose and the sanitary side of that compared to handkerchiefs.
Page 1 of 212>