2 votes (33.33%)
2 votes (33.33%)
3 votes (50%)

6 members have voted

October 25th, 2018 at 8:25:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Here are the ballot questions here in Nevada for the upcoming election. For more information, please visit State of Nevada -- STATEWIDE BALLOT QUESTIONS -- 2018. Here is how I'm planning to vote, based on just a few minutes of research each. I'm open to arguments on all, pro and con.

Question 1 -- Allegedly gives crime victims more rights in court and criminals less.

I guess I'll vote yes on this, but don't know much about it.

Question 2 -- Exempt female hygiene products from state sales tax

I'm voting no. I oppose chipping away at the sales tax law one thing at a time. I think a sales tax should be charged on all physical items. There is already an exemption for medical devices, and the "yes" side argues tampons and what not are a medical necessity. I think we need to face reality that the government needs tax revenue and quit the shell game of shifting the burden around.

Question 3 -- Open the energy market

This one is getting by far the most attention in the media. You see a commercial for it every break. This question would break up Nevada Energy's monopoly. I'm an enthusiastic "yes" on this one.

Question 4 -- Exempt certain medical equipment from sales tax.

I'm voting no. Same reasons as question 2.

Question 5 -- Automatic voter registration through the DMV.

I'm voting yes. I think voting is a fundamental right and one shouldn't need to jump through hoops to do it. The DMV is the agency that best knows where everybody resides so I welcome their help in the process.

Question 6 -- Require energy providers to be 50% renewable by 2030, on a graduated basis.

I'm voting yes. I believe in moving to green energy and am willing to pay more for it.

That's it. The question for the poll is how would you vote on these questions, except 4.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 25th, 2018 at 9:22:36 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Regarding Q2: This break only applies to a specific subset of the population. Is there an equivalent break already in place or planned for everyone else?
October 25th, 2018 at 9:35:26 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I definitely need to read more about question #1. I heard an attorney on the radio interview saying why he is voting no on number one and he made some good arguments. I don't remember them but I think the ballot measure is much more complicated than "Give victims more rights".
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 25th, 2018 at 9:36:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

Question 5 -- Automatic voter registration through the DMV.

I'm voting yes. I think voting is a fundamental right and one shouldn't need to jump through hoops to do it. The DMV is the agency that best knows where everybody resides so I welcome their help in the process.

This is a dangerous thing and opens up voter fraud. A better thing would be to require voter registration materials at every USPS.

Why can't we vote on 4?
The President is a fink.
October 25th, 2018 at 10:06:24 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Michigan has 3 ballot proposals:

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/10/c906e5e38b2805/a-complete-guide-to-michigans.html
1) Legalize recreational marijuana
2) Create a commission of 13 citizens to handle districting of the state house, senate, and us congress
3) Voter registration when renewing a license, simultaneously register to vote with proof of residency and obtain a ballot during the 2-week period prior to an election, up to and including Election Day, any reason absentee ballots, re-allowing straight ticket voting
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 25th, 2018 at 10:18:23 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Why can't we vote on 4?

Because the poll only allows for 10 choices.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 25th, 2018 at 10:19:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Dalex64
Michigan has 3 ballot proposals:

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/10/c906e5e38b2805/a-complete-guide-to-michigans.html
1) Legalize recreational marijuana
2) Create a commission of 13 citizens to handle districting of the state house, senate, and us congress
3) Voter registration when renewing a license, simultaneously register to vote with proof of residency and obtain a ballot during the 2-week period prior to an election, up to and including Election Day, any reason absentee ballots, re-allowing straight ticket voting

I'm a yes on all three.

Should be a good Election Day for the libs in Michigan.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 25th, 2018 at 11:47:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
I'm a yes on all three.

Should be a good Election Day for the libs in Michigan.

Legal Marijuana should pass
Even republicans are seeing the light despite Jeff Sessions

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-support-marijuana-legalization-edges-poll-163131183.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 25th, 2018 at 11:54:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I voted yes on the Nevada poll all questions.

I don't think any life necessity should be taxed.
medical devices, tampons, food, medicine should all be tax exempt
Tax everything that is not a life necessity including religion. Especially religion.

I open a facility for atheists to gather, I should pay property taxes. Why should a church get a tax break
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 25th, 2018 at 5:17:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Question 1 -- Allegedly gives crime victims more rights in court and criminals less. I guess I'll vote yes on this, but don't know much about it.

This has been going on for 25 years.

Marsy's Law
See also: Marsy's Law crime victim rights
The type of crime victim legislation addressed by this measure is often referred to as a Marsy's Law. Henry Nicholas, the co-founder of Broadcom Corp., started campaigning for this kind of legislation to increase the rights and privileges of victims. He was the primary sponsor of the original 2008 Marsy's Law in California and formed his national organization, Marsy's Law for All, in 2009. Marsy's Law for All—funded by Nicholas—was behind similar 2016 initiatives in Montana, South Dakota, and North Dakota and a 2017 initiative in Ohio—which all passed. Nicholas was also behind legislative proposals in Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, and other states. The legislation is named after Henry Nicholas' sister Marsy Nicholas, who was murdered by her ex-boyfriend in 1983.

Henry and his mother were also confronted by Marsy's ex-boyfriend after his release from prison; they were unaware of his release from prison on bail. Marsy's Law for All is the national organization that advocates for Marsy's Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsy%27s_Law

Page 1 of 41234>