2 votes (33.33%)
3 votes (50%)

6 members have voted

October 25th, 2018 at 9:50:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
Regarding Q2: This break only applies to a specific subset of the population. Is there an equivalent break already in place or planned for everyone else?

Nope.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 25th, 2018 at 9:51:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: DRich
I definitely need to read more about question #1. I heard an attorney on the radio interview saying why he is voting no on number one and he made some good arguments. I don't remember them but I think the ballot measure is much more complicated than "Give victims more rights".

My older daughter feels strongly against prop 1. She said it is a solution in search of a problem and that passage would just slow down an already overloaded judicial system.

I think I'm going to switch to a no on that one.
October 26th, 2018 at 12:48:31 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
1. Written another way, should the first priority of the justice system be the rights of criminals or their victims?

2. The fairest tax isn't a sales tax it's an income tax. Having been pretty broke several times, that's not the time for the state to be collecting their vig. It's different when I have money coming in then when I don't. Tax capital gains at the same rate as regular income.

3. Texas had their Enron, and now Nevada wants theirs ? Here in Az., same thing, everybody not in the power business thinks they can do it better.

4. Who spends the majority of the money on medical devices? I think it's medicare/medicade. It's a constant feedback loop. Charge uncle Harry for his dialysis and the fed pays the state, but the fed has to raise income taxes to pay for the increase. It's easy to say the guy on oxygen should pay tax on his oxygen, but he doesn't really have a choice. Again, the necessary tax should have been collected already at the place where the money was created, instead of at the bottom of the chain where people don't have a choice.

5."Automatic voter registration through the DMV." Sure, and then privatize the DMV. Also, voters should be able to sell their votes, same as politicians.

6. "Require energy providers to be 50% renewable" Depends on what is claimed to be renewable. Calif. has already replaced windfarms that never paid for themselves the first time. Solar panels start breaking down the day they are installed. I hope you include nuclear energy on the list of renewables, and geothermal. But wind or solar, pfft. They are raptor killers.

If you want to build your own renewable energy, nothing is stopping you. But don't vote an increased expense on everyone else, including those that can't afford the increase like folks on fixed incomes.

Quote:
That's it. The question for the poll is how would you vote on these questions, except 4.
That's what pollster's do to, select the answers available to skew results. lol
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 26th, 2018 at 6:03:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
My older daughter feels strongly against prop 1. She said it is a solution in search of a problem and that passage would just slow down an already overloaded judicial system.

I think I'm going to switch to a no on that one.

Your older daughter sounds mature. Most younger people are instinctively for more rights.
October 26th, 2018 at 7:41:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Most younger people are instinctively for more rights.

Not from what I have seen. I more see them begging for rights to be taken away. Mostly free speech and gun rights.
The President is a fink.
October 26th, 2018 at 11:11:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Not from what I have seen. I more see them begging for rights to be taken away. Mostly free speech and gun rights.

Good point.

However, I think that the Wizard's daughter is under age 21. I have not seen too many people that age that were worried about an overloaded judicial system.
October 26th, 2018 at 12:04:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
However, I think that the Wizard's daughter is under age 21. I have not seen too many people that age that were worried about an overloaded judicial system.

She's exactly 21. She initially intended to study law, which may explain why she seems to know a fair bit about it.
October 26th, 2018 at 10:16:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
She's exactly 21. She initially intended to study law, which may explain why she seems to know a fair bit about it.

To make an intelligent decision you would have to know if and how the current victim right's are insufficient.

You have the right:

To know the status of the case in which you are involved
To be free from intimidation or dissuasion
To know when your impounded property may be released.
To receive a witness fee for lawful obedience to a subpoena.
To understand the existing victim compensation laws and receive compensation if applicable.
To a secure waiting area, which is not available to the defendant or his family, when you are at court.
To know when the defendant is released from custody before or during trial (upon written request).
To know when the offender is released from prison (upon written request).
October 26th, 2018 at 10:57:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Congratulations
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 27th, 2018 at 4:33:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: petroglyph
1. Written another way, should the first priority of the justice system be the rights of criminals or their victims?

While I see the appeal of your rewrite, the point of the justice system should be neither.

After all, if you are falsely accused of a crime you'll want the justice system to be robust, treat you fairly and hopefully render you proper justice and not convict you with uneven balance weighted towards victims. One would think, right?

(no scoffing allowed at our imperfect justice system, but we should still keep hammering for ideals)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 2 of 4<1234>