2019 Deadpool

May 12th, 2019 at 3:53:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I don't know how anyone could watch anything without suspending judgement. Even the most real scenarios, are usually exaggerated for effect, and the most interesting life had plenty of unwatchable boredom, if you included everything.

OTOH, there are some events so unbelievable it can only be sold to the audience when they are aware it really happened. But you could never pass it off as fiction.

The older you get the harder it is to avoid. One biggie is cars catching on fire and blowing up. You eventually learn it rarely happens. That cars are designed NOT to catch fire and blow up. Once we were talking around the office about a small plane crash and a woman says, "all those cars could have blown up!" I explained reality. Another woman, who hated my guts, had to interject about one kind of car that had a few fires, so I must have been wrong or something. I again explained it. Said to ask a firefighter how often it happens in a car accident scene. She probably hated me even more, but she was incompetent so whatever.

Maybe it is why I have tuned out so much popular culture. I key in on so much it is hard to enjoy.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2019 at 4:09:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm never really bothered by that, which is why I can enjoy fantasy or science fiction or outlandish adventure equally, HOWEVER, what really bothers me, even when the story is way beyond what is real, is whether it maintains internal consistency. If up is down, it must remain throughout the story, unless they give a good reason why it changes.

Comedy might be the only exception, but it has to have a lot of good bits to lack internal consistency. I suppose cartoon movies also --i.e., real animation, not the crop of superhero movies.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2019 at 4:14:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Take the red pill and it is hard to enjoy the little things.
It's hard to unswallow.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 12th, 2019 at 4:40:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Funny, The Matrix drew its ideas of red pill/blue pill from Alice in Wonderland. But both are highly fictional concepts. (Or so we think)

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2019 at 5:00:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Funny, The Matrix drew its ideas of red pill/blue pill from Alice in Wonderland. But both are highly fictional concepts. (Or so we think)

I realize I am talking about believable fiction then talking red/blue pill. But the burdens of the red pill are real.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2019 at 6:20:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
But the burdens of the red pill are real.

Pills and back when they wrote
good songs. This came out my
senior year in HS and we would
always play it as loud as we
could in the car driving around.

Was Grace Slick really ever this
young?

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 12th, 2019 at 7:43:59 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: petroglyph
If you are referring to Jeb on Beverly Hillbilly's,

His name was Jed.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
May 13th, 2019 at 7:22:37 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Doris Day died she was 97. Most of the younger members probably don't know who she is. Big star in her day.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 13th, 2019 at 8:07:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
Doris Day died she was 97. Most of the younger members probably don't know who she is. Big star in her day.

Didn't know she was still alive. Amazing how many stars of the Hollywood Royalty era we say that about.

Actually the end of that era could be a thread of itself.
The President is a fink.
May 13th, 2019 at 8:51:09 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Didn't know she was still alive. Amazing how many stars of the Hollywood Royalty era we say that about.

Actually the end of that era could be a thread of itself.

That is exactly what my wife and I said to each other when we saw it. "Didn't think she was still alive"
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin