Bah! Humbug!

Page 2 of 5<12345>
December 13th, 2018 at 2:57:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I like how they do Christmas in Aruba, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand (places I've been close to Christmas). They will put up some festive decorations but there isn't much religious about it.

It's was never a religious holiday, it
was a harvest and shortest day of
the year holiday. The Xtions stole
it, but never completely made it
their own. Especially in N Europe
where it originated, it's still mostly
a pagan holiday.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 13th, 2018 at 4:51:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
How do you steal a holiday? We baptized it and made it more awesome!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 13th, 2018 at 10:06:08 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
I do remember someone pointing out that the Bible said people were wearing LIGHT clothes when Jesus was born, and asked, "December 25th is in the cold Winter. How many people do you know wear light clothes when it's freezing? They should have been wearing heavy clothes. It's obvious that Jesus was born in Spring or Summer."
December 13th, 2018 at 10:13:20 PM permalink
FrGamble
I don't think winter in the Holy Land is as bad as you are imagining it. However, Jesus' birthday could very well been in the summer. However, the day around which the light starts becoming stronger and more present after a period of growing darkness fits well for the celebration of Our Savior's birth.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 14th, 2018 at 1:38:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: KNathan
It's obvious that Jesus was born in Spring or Summer."

I think most ministers simply state that Christmas is the day chosen to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Most educated people know that the shortest day of the year was the subject of ritual long before Jesus. Obviously, the shortest day of the year is a bigger deal at higher latitudes.
December 18th, 2018 at 9:39:42 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Io, Saturnalia!
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
December 18th, 2018 at 8:14:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
the Jews ptomoted a rather minor holday to dampen viewing America as a
Christian nation.
Blacks created Kwansaa out utter fiction too have black identity holiday.

so stealing holidays is easy, particularly when so few calendars existed and few people could read. time was measured by feast days.
December 22nd, 2018 at 10:31:21 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: AcesAndEights
Io, Saturnalia!

Here is an interesting article on myth and Christianity using the works of Joseph Campbell who left the Catholic faith but then reports say returned to faith on his deathbed in a Catholic hospital. It talks about the long history of myth and its general themes all of which are incarnated in the real historical person of Jesus and the Church he founded.

The Power of Myth
December 22nd, 2018 at 12:37:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Joseph Campbell who left the Catholic faith but then reports say returned to faith on his deathbed in a Catholic hospital.

I'm glad I caught this sickening Catholic
Church lie. Campbell did NOT go back
to the religion, far from it. His wife
vehemently denies he did, and there
certainly was no religious service at
his funeral as there certainly would
have been if he had reconverted.
Because he happened to spend his
last days in a Catholic hospital, the
Church thinks it can get away with
this charade.

This is just another attempt by the
lying deceitful Church to change
history in it's favor. Always verify
anything a minion of the Church
spews forth, most likely it's a
distortion or an outright lie.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 22nd, 2018 at 12:45:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Bob, all I known is that he was greatly comforted by a crucifix in his room at the hospital. You don't need religious services at your funeral to make your peace with God and be embraced by infinite love. I'm not you so I don't make up unproven historical facts. All I'm saying is that from the accounts I have seen he was greatly comforted at the end by thoughts of faith.
Page 2 of 5<12345>