No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

December 13th, 2018 at 8:30:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
my culinary skills? .

Oxymoron:
a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 13th, 2018 at 9:02:18 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: kenarman
You don't actually belief that drivel do you Dale? Quoting some "study" without providing the study details is typical for those left wing nut sites. 7 months payback doesn't even come close to passing the smell test when it takes longer than that to construct one.

My rule of thumb on any of this is that if it needs to be subsidized to be profitable then the math probably doesn't work on the energy level either.

Hey, just like even Bob, I heard somewhere that those whirly gig wind turbine thingies pay for themselves.

Don't let a biased view of the facts distract you from the facts.

Better yet, maybe you guys could educate yourselves (gasp!) and decide if what I heard, or what evenbob heard, is correct.

You would think the fossil fuel energy industry would be all for making more of these, if they used up more fossil fuel energy than they generated. That would be great for business! Imagine how many coal mines they could open up to support the construction of these things.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 13th, 2018 at 9:07:13 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Two more comments - there were links to that page to other studies,
And the 7.5 months was to generate the energy equal to the energy cost of production, not the financial cost.
Furthermore, how long it takes to produce one has nothing to do with how long it takes to generate the energy after it is completed and placed in operation.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 13th, 2018 at 9:20:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Dalex64
Hey, just like even Bob,.

Wind Farms Even More Expensive And Pointless Than You Thought

“In this study, we refer to the ‘true cost’ of wind as the price tag consumers and society as a whole pay both to purchase wind-generated electricity and to subsidize the wind energy industry through taxes and government debt,” said Ryan Yonk Ph.D., one of the report’s authors and a founder of Strata Policy. “After examining all of these cost factors and carefully reviewing existing cost estimates, we were able to better understand how much higher the cost is for Americans.”

http://www.strata.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Full-Report-True-Cost-of-Wind1.pdf

Not to mention the toll they take on
the bird population. Millions of
birds and bats are killed annually
by these eyesores, all so the Greenies
can feel good about themselves.

Wind Turbines are Neither Clean nor Green and They Provide Zero Global Energy

Here’s a quiz; no conferring. To the nearest whole number, what percentage of the world’s energy consumption was supplied by wind power in 2014, the last year for which there are reliable figures? Was it 20 per cent, 10 per cent or 5 per cent? None of the above: it was 0 per cent. That is to say, to the nearest whole number, there is still no wind power on Earth.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/wind-turbines-are-neither-clean-nor-green-and-they-provide-zero-global-energy/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 13th, 2018 at 10:43:00 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Two more comments - there were links to that page to other studies,
And the 7.5 months was to generate the energy equal to the energy cost of production, not the financial cost.
Furthermore, how long it takes to produce one has nothing to do with how long it takes to generate the energy after it is completed and placed in operation.

Energy cost and financial cost are totally tied together. The longer you have crews and equipment on site working the more energy you are going to use. In a perfect world there are only 2 costs, labour and energy. The price of anything is determined by those 2 items and labour is to some extent tied to energy. The cost of anything is determined by the cost of production. If it is rare and the cost is high more will be produced unless the cost of production is higher than the cost of the item. What screws this up and confuses those who can't follow what the true cost of things are is government subsidies.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 14th, 2018 at 12:41:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
What screws this up and confuses those who can't follow what the true cost of things are is government subsidies.

Warren Buffet is on record saying with no
gov't subsidies, there would be no wind
business because a profit would not be
be possible.
December 14th, 2018 at 12:55:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Wind energy and solar panels (as opposed to central solar energy plants) are things big companies have reason to discourage. I've said it before, energy companies may offer solar energy but they want to be the controllers of the consumer.

They like the solar plant like the one that heats the mirrors in the desert, because it's more out of control of the consumer.

I favor more independence for energy for the consumer. Kenerman and Evenbob favor slavery to corporations and or complex technologies apparently.

More innovation is the way to cost reduction.

I really do believe there is reason to suspect a campaign do harm any type of backyard, field or at home energy producing mechanisms. There's less profit the more you can control the consumer production. So fund people to say it is too costly in suspect studies. Also the simpler the mechanism, the more likely the consumer can control it. No chance any consumer controls something like nuclear for instance, whereas I may be able to 3d print simpler mechanisms one day.

I'm only a a conspiracy theorist when the reason is excellent.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 14th, 2018 at 1:11:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Pharmacist told me that industry works that way. NO money in studying simple to obtain drugs that may occur naturally unless you can tightly control some part of production. No money, no reason to favor them and every reason to discourage them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 14th, 2018 at 2:27:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Better yet, maybe you guys could educate yourselves (gasp!) and decide if what I heard, or what evenbob heard, is correct.

We have. In my case over decades. Wind makes little to no sense without subsidies. It is very "feel good." People say, "yeah, we used it 150 years ago, why did we stop?"

We stopped for a reason, that reason being that wind is intermittent and just does not provide enough energy for the inputs required. See, if it was so good the utilities would have rushed into it. Instead of paying for coal and gas, they would just set up windmills and use all that "free" wind. But absent subsidies they rarely do. That says something that all the liberal articles in the world cannot refute.
The President is a fink.
December 14th, 2018 at 4:52:29 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
utilities have zoning and transmission cocts. you can build horizovtal or vertical turbives and feed them into a battery. generate power at night also.
Page 3 of 5<12345>