1 vote (20%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

December 14th, 2018 at 5:14:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
utilities have zoning and transmission cocts. you can build horizovtal or vertical turbives and feed them into a battery. generate power at night also.

Hey, I hope they do keep building wind, more title work for my friends and myself.
The President is a fink.
December 14th, 2018 at 5:56:24 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Fleastiff, I hope you live near a windmill. Lots of healthy and delicious seagulls, hawks and other poultry all over the ground just ripe for the pick'ins. Prepared properly fowl is a great addition to a well balanced diet!
December 14th, 2018 at 6:16:17 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The argument presented is that they cost more in energy (not dollars) than they will ever produce in energy (not dollars).

That is different than saying they cost more financially (in dollars) to be able to sell energy and be net positive profit (in dollars) by the end of their life.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 14th, 2018 at 7:10:07 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Dalex64
The argument presented is that they cost more in energy (not dollars) than they will ever produce in energy (not dollars).

That is different than saying they cost more financially (in dollars) to be able to sell energy and be net positive profit (in dollars) by the end of their life.

I have shown you in an earlier post that energy cost and dollar costs are not independent of each other. You really should get your head out of the sand on this.

I will give you that small independent solar systems are a viable energy option. The problem is the bulk of the people live in cities. There is not enough real estate even counting roof tops for the average person to have a viable solar system. Hence you have the "big bad energy companies" and centralized energy production.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 14th, 2018 at 11:46:00 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Then we have a fundamental disagreement on what Bob means by this:

Quote: EvenBob

I read that the average wind turbine
generator never produces the
energy it already took to build and
set it up. From mining the steel,
processing it, and all the other
components, getting it to the
site, has already used up more
energy than the turbine will
ever produce. That's why they're
all subsidized, they couldn't make
a profit on their own.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 14th, 2018 at 12:16:42 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: kenarman
I have shown you in an earlier post that energy cost and dollar costs are not independent of each other. You really should get your head out of the sand on this.

I will give you that small independent solar systems are a viable energy option. The problem is the bulk of the people live in cities. There is not enough real estate even counting roof tops for the average person to have a viable solar system. Hence you have the "big bad energy companies" and centralized energy production.

You can power your home with a Honda generator from Home Depot but it'll cost you an arm and a leg which is why we have large power plants. Economy of scale not conspiracy.
December 14th, 2018 at 12:49:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: pew
You can power your home with a Honda generator from Home Depot but it'll cost you an arm and a leg which is why we have large power plants. Economy of scale not conspiracy.

That's not really the proper comparison. it would be about producing fuel for the generator from solar panels, water, or wind ON your property or at least within a small section of property..
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 14th, 2018 at 1:57:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The most dangerous food is anything that isn't nectar consistency
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 14th, 2018 at 2:41:17 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Perhaps the wind turbine discussion should be spun off?
December 14th, 2018 at 5:19:22 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
That's not really the proper comparison. it would be about producing fuel for the generator from solar panels, water, or wind ON your property or at least within a small section of property..

That is the point you are missing most people don't have the property to do it. And to scale it up uses up huge tracts of land. You should have taken the time to read the articles EB linked to. If we completely cover Russia with wind turbines we can replace the oil we are currently using.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 4 of 5<12345>