a cup of coffee; just me?

Page 1 of 212>
December 25th, 2018 at 10:19:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
[rant]The wife got me a coffee maker that will make a up to 12 'cups' in a carafe or a single one using a single-serve pack. Nice, but there's something that, yet again, I find unbefrigging unbelievable. In every manual for coffemakers I have ever gotten this has been the case, nearly every article I have read on how to make coffee has made the oversight, + the few cooking shows I've seen covering the topic do it as well [Alton Brown comes to mind]. 

And that is: they manage to give full instructions, or cover the topic, without mentioning that a cup, when it comes to coffee, is usually not 8 ounces, but 4-6 and most usually about 5.  

For example in the new manual it says "for each cup of coffee being made, place one level tablespoon ..." of coffee. That's it, no mention of how that isn't 8 ounces. Now, it has to be true that in a percentage of cases, OK maybe less than 1%, I don't know, but in some percentage this confuses someone who will use a measuring cup that measures off 8 ounces for every cup and make himself a weak cup of coffee. Perhaps this has even caused unnecessary returns - you'd think someone would get the message. I think mistakes are even more likely with this new idea of combining carafe with single-serve. The manual suggests using up to 10 ounces in the single serve if you want*, which is sure as hell going to get the measuring cup out, meanwhile there are no new instructions at all about how much coffee to use. Unbefreaking unbelievable!

I asked my wife if it is 'just me'. She says it is. And I guess if this thread dies off without comment, that'll prove it. I need to know.[/rant]

*you can use a special second basket provided that allows you to use your own coffee, vary quantity, and not buy packs
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 25th, 2018 at 10:37:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
So glad I've never drank coffee. People
seem obsessed with it. My wife has a
never ending battle over getting
coffee. In a restaurant it's, where's
the waiter, tell me if you see the
waiter, oh no, he didn't bring enough
cream, oh no my coffee is cold, on
and on. I drink water, no complaints.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 25th, 2018 at 10:50:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Look at old good China coffee cups. They are small. Years ago we started having coffee in “mugs” in the American idea of more is better. Since most people just made a full pot you would measure for the pot so it did not matter.

I cold brew. 1 cup of grounds to a 32 oz mason jar.
The President is a fink.
December 25th, 2018 at 11:12:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
The reactions people have about coffee
is like it's a drug they're addicted to.
They get irrational and mean and act
like it's the most important thing in
the world. Then they complain that
it's keeping them awake, or now they're
jittery, they can't get that special latte.

It's always something. I don't get it,
coffee sucks. It's bitter and makes my
heart race, why would I do that to
myself.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 25th, 2018 at 11:20:07 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

I think coffee pots use a mercator cup?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 25th, 2018 at 11:28:07 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I just noticed the side of the machine, for the single serving, has a tube that shows how many ounces you've put in. So some percentage of users, however small, take the instructions for a 'cup' from the carafe instructions and try it for 8 ounces, or modify it for what they do put in, and wind up with crap. Brilliant.
December 25th, 2018 at 11:35:50 AM permalink
petroglyph
Coffee makers come with instructions?

added: funny, the last camera I bought doesn't come with instructions, [which would have been helpful] they are online only.
December 25th, 2018 at 11:40:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
Coffee makers come with instructions?

I never look at instructions. I go to Youtube
and find a video that explains it. There's
always a few for everything.
December 25th, 2018 at 11:48:12 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
I never look at instructions. I go to Youtube
and find a video that explains it. There's
always a few for everything.

Invariably, if I try to read the instructions in their tiny print, I always try to read several foreign language ones before I find the one in English. Then it has about two steps, like add water and grounds, push button.f

The coffee makers instructions are only it's writers opinion on the taste/strength of coffee anyway. My tastes vary.

Funny, my wife has never drank a cup of coffee but likes to make it for me. Sometimes it's like the lotto on strength, but I'm adjustable.
December 25th, 2018 at 11:58:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
This one seemed to me to have extra complexity at first, though that seems a fairly silly notion now. Anyway, I would have read the manual anyway, looking for any indication of the fact that the 'cups' they are referring to are not 8 ounces - I just can't get over that.

Since I'm getting a response, maybe it's not 'just me' . I feel better!
Page 1 of 212>