Space...The final frontier

Page 2 of 2<12
January 3rd, 2019 at 11:18:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Ayecarumba

Trivia: The United States has been the first nation to send a space probe to every planet except...

Tricky! saw your answer of course. I guessed Venus, I thought maybe only the Russians had sent a probe there
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 3rd, 2019 at 11:20:18 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
Trivia: The United States has been the first nation to send a space probe to every planet except...

Reminds me of this question -- Which planet can we most easily see from earth? It goes without saying but please put answers in spoiler tags and no searching.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 3rd, 2019 at 11:28:12 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: Wizard
Reminds me of this question -- Which planet can we most easily see from earth? It goes without saying but please put answers in spoiler tags and no searching.

earth
Let's go Brandon
January 3rd, 2019 at 11:33:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

Venus

FWIW I believe USA is the only country to have landed a craft on Mars without crashing it. Or at least we were until a few years back.
The President is a fink.
January 3rd, 2019 at 11:34:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I think the Wizard is going for another "tricky" thing and is making that Earth itself, but after Ayecarumba being tricky already we are on guard. Otherwise, Venus without question
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 3rd, 2019 at 11:39:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I thought the Moon was flat like Earth.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 3rd, 2019 at 11:52:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I thought the Moon was flat like Earth.

Can't prove it until we send a man there.
The President is a fink.
January 3rd, 2019 at 5:03:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: fleaswatter
earth

Correct!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 4th, 2019 at 4:47:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: beachbumbabs
This is where I want my 2019 to start. This is a terrific writeup of an astounding event that happened this morning, and will not otherwise get the coverage it deserves. So much great information here, allowing peo people to dream along with the scientists, that I had to bring the full story in front of the paywall......

My usual thinking is, could the money that was spent for space exploration have been better spent to feed the starving, or clean the giant plastic patch out of the ocean.

However. Our tv was on, tuned in to NOVA, and they had an hour long show on this spacecraft doing a flyby on Thule. And I have to admit I was mesmerized by the science that went into making that happen, and the knowledge that we will gain from it.

So upon careful internal reflection I determined that the value of the knowledge mankind will gain from this experiment was indeed worth the loss of as many low value folks as necessary. The plastic gyre needs to be addressed as fervently as space exploration, but this voyage was worth the expense, regardless of whether or not there is a big money multiplier.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 2 of 2<12