No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (30%)

10 members have voted

January 7th, 2019 at 10:21:28 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
In the southwestern United States, the borders of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona all meet at a spot knows as "Four Corners".

In your opinion, do the states that are catercorner (Utah and New Mexico; Colorado and Arizona) share a border?
January 7th, 2019 at 10:37:42 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I voted the kitty-corner states do not border.

I've always wanted to go to the Four Corner memorial but have just never been close to it. Besides, I hear they discovered the monument is in the wrong spot by several feet at least.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 7th, 2019 at 10:48:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It is caddy-corner in my parts, but I would say they technically do as there is one point on each that touches the other. Not sure if "tangent" is the right term or that is just for circles, but if it is "they are tangent to each other."

OTOH, if there is not room for a "Welcome to New Mexico--Birthplace of Walter White" then there is a case be made that they do not.

I vote "splunge."
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2019 at 10:49:29 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Wizard
I voted the kitty-corner states do not border.

I've always wanted to go to the Four Corner memorial but have just never been close to it. Besides, I hear they discovered the monument is in the wrong spot by several feet at least.
It kind of had that "deliverance" feel to it, with a native american flare.

As Wizard mentioned, the surveying was off, but I've stood on the X.

That is where we bought our one Christmas ornament, from a woman that had never seen a Christmas tree.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 7th, 2019 at 11:31:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
it is diagonally opposite for me, not kitty corner.
all measurement are off a bit even that line through Cal-Nev resort
January 7th, 2019 at 11:31:38 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Have a look at this map. You can see the border between Utah and Colorado bends to the east a bit right by the marker to meet up with the border between Arizona and New Mexico. If it didn't do that, they wouldn't meet at four corners.

Also note the center of the memorial is 39 feet from the actual four corners point, unless Google has the borders drawn incorrectly.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 7th, 2019 at 11:40:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I think they moved the borders a little to make the marker correct. Have a look at this map. You can see the border between Utah and Colorado bends to the east a bit to cut through the marker. The border between New Mexico and Arizona doesn't seem to do that. That suggests to me the line of longitude between UT and CO is further west, by several feet, than that between NM and AZ.

All surveys out there are probably off by a bit. Consider this, a full degree is about 69 miles. A minute (1/60 of a degree for the non-landmen out there) is 1.15 miles, a second is .02 miles. I won't even get in to magnetic declination changing over the decades, but I will say I find little survey errors all the time in areas of <300 acres. Over thousands of miles, I don't even want to imagine. Given how middle of nowhere that area is even today, just say close is good enough in this case as "exact" is near impossible.
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2019 at 11:42:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Have a look at this map. .

Didn't Walt's awful wife in Breaking Bad
drive to the 4 corners in an ep?

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 7th, 2019 at 11:53:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Have a look at this map. .

Didn't Walt's awful wife in Breaking Bad
drive to the 4 corners in an ep?

She did. Then she went back to him and complained about him trying to help the family every minute.
The President is a fink.
January 7th, 2019 at 12:05:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

She did. Then she went back to him and complained about him trying to help the family every minute.

Skyler, god I hated her. When I watch
it now I FF thru all times she's in a
scene. The show is so much better
without her constant whining.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 61234>Last »