Should there be a New Restaurant Law?

Page 1 of 41234>
January 25th, 2019 at 5:44:28 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Should there be a new Restaurant Law? Pay only what you ate/ordered? A guy on the news, Paul Gonzalez went on Dating Apps and asked potential girlfriends out to expensive restaurants and then ordered expensive meals and before the check arrived, "Conviently" went to the bathroom or to answer a call and ditched her to pay both of their meals. Luckily, some managers felt pity on the ditched women and either paid for his meal or only charged her a few dollars from his meal and charged her for her own meal. I personally think there should be a new law where people who eat in a restaurant are not responsible for what their dates ate/ordered. Only should be responsible for what they are/ordered. What do you guys think?
January 25th, 2019 at 5:47:16 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I wonder if the restaurant manager would take pity on a guy whose date walked out on him? or would they think "this guy must have done something to piss her off" and he deserves to pay full fare?
January 25th, 2019 at 5:48:46 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: KNathan
Should there be a new Restaurant Law? Pay only what you ate/ordered? A guy on the news, Paul Gonzalez went on Dating Apps and asked potential girlfriends out to expensive restaurants and then ordered expensive meals and before the check arrived, "Conviently" went to the bathroom or to answer a call and ditched her to pay both of their meals. Luckily, some managers felt pity on the ditched women and either paid for his meal or only charged her a few dollars from his meal and charged her for her own meal. I personally think there should be a new law where people who eat in a restaurant are not responsible for what their dates ate/ordered. Only should be responsible for what they are/ordered. What do you guys think?

And you think that wouldn't be totally abused. You run out and we get a twofor.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 25th, 2019 at 6:27:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I've been in situations many times where people in a big group left a dinner early and didn't leave enough money to cover their share. Ultimately, the people left at the end had to fork out the shortfall.

I don't think this is a big enough problem to need legislation. If a restaurant is has a problem with people ditching, they can always make patrons pay up front.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 25th, 2019 at 7:01:41 PM permalink
KNathan
Quote: Wizard
I've been in situations many times where people in a big group left a dinner early and didn't leave enough money to cover their share. Ultimately, the people left at the end had to fork out the shortfall.

I don't think this is a big enough problem to need legislation. If a restaurant is has a problem with people ditching, they can always make patrons pay up front.

There was a controversial episode of a popular show called,"What Would You Do?" Where Waitresses made people pay upfront for there meals. This would have been controversial enough, but the Customers were Black. Controversial enough for you yet? Hold on, there's more. They were Young Black Customers. Can't get any more controversial than that.
January 25th, 2019 at 8:06:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
There was a controversial episode of a popular show called,"What Would You Do?" Where Waitresses made people pay upfront for there meals. This would have been controversial enough, but the Customers were Black. Controversial enough for you yet? Hold on, there's more. They were Young Black Customers. Can't get any more controversial than that.

I didn't see it, but I would be outraged if they asked me to pay upfront but not everybody. If I ran a restaurant, I would would have the same policy for everybody -- either everybody pays upfront or nobody. Okay, maybe known good customers can be excused, but it certainly can't be based on race.
January 25th, 2019 at 8:31:37 PM permalink
KNathan

In hindsight, it would have been better to have a good estimate of what everyone ordered. Tom had the Margarita, a ribeye steak meal (Steak and fries, and a chocolate brownie with ice cream. He had mozzarella cheese sticks. Everything together is $50. Wizard had the Lobster Bisque and spaghetti. He ate crab cakes, had a glass of Pinot Noir. He had a slice of chocolate Marquise with ice cream. His bill is $60. Randy had Beef Wellington, wild rice, antipasto. He had baked Alaska. He drank a Cabernet Sauvignon. His bill is $50. Jeremy had a salmon and pesto. he had fried shrimp. And drank Sauvignon blanc. He had a cherry jubilee. His bill is $40. Patrick had a T bone steak and baked potato. He had a slice of chocolate cake with ice cream. He had cheese Fondue. He had a glass of Merlot. His bill is $60. Everyone pays exactly what they ordered plus tax and tip before they leave. Edit. Just looked up some food prices and in my scenario, some people would actually be paying more like $100! O.O Case in point. For some odd reason I said that the T bone steak, cheese fondue, baked potato, chocolate cake with ice cream, and Merlot glass cost MORE than the Beef Wellington, wild rice, antipasto, baked Alaska, and Cabernet Sauvignon. Beef Wellington just buy itself is roughly $60. So this meal would be around $100. The T bone steak meal is probably like $60.
January 25th, 2019 at 8:42:44 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
In hindsight, it would have been better to have a good estimate of what everyone ordered. Tom had the Margarita, a ribeye steak meal (Steak and fries, and a chocolate brownie with ice cream. He had mozzarella cheese sticks. Everything together is $50. Wizard had the Lobster Bisque and spaghetti. He ate crab cakes, had a glass of Pinot Noir. He had a slice of chocolate Marquise with ice cream. His bill is $60. Randy had Beef Wellington, wild rice, antipasto. He had baked Alaska. He drank a Cabernet Sauvignon. His bill is $50. Jeremy had a salmon and pesto. he had fried shrimp. And drank Sauvignon blanc. He had a cherry jubilee. His bill is $40. Patrick had a T bone steak and baked potato. He had a slice of chocolate cake with ice cream. He had cheese Fondue. He had a glass of Merlot. Is bill is $60. Everyone pays exactly what they ordered plus tax and tip before they leave.

Have you ever been a waitress? What if you have a group of 20 people and one person orders 10 appetizers for the table, who do you bill for it? A good waiter will ask, separate bills or one? If he is told "separate," then, yes, he should treat everyone individually. However, I hate to put a waiter through that. At WoV meetups, we always just throw it all together and if nobody offers to pay the tab, which has happened, we just split the bill evenly.
January 25th, 2019 at 9:11:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I doubt we need new laws for all this trivial stuff.
January 26th, 2019 at 3:59:02 AM permalink
KNathan
Have you ever been a waitress? What if you have a group of 20 people and one person orders 10 appetizers for the table, who do you bill for it? A good waiter will ask, separate bills or one? If he is told "separate," then, yes, he should treat everyone individually. However, I hate to put a waiter through that. At WoV meetups, we always just throw it all together and if nobody offers to pay the tab, which has happened, we just split the bill evenly.

If one person orders 10 appetizers for the group, I would charge that person the money for the appetizers. But in my scenario, each person paid for what they ordered, it was supposed to be on one bill but everyone paid exactly what they ordered/ate, and paid one person or "Treasurer," before they left. And "The Treasurer," gives the Waiter the money. So, Jeremy, Tom, Patrick, Randy, give their base bill plus the tax and tip to Wizard to pay and Wizard also pays his base bill plus tax and tip. He gives it all to The Waiter. :)
Page 1 of 41234>