Page 3 of 70<123456>Last »
February 14th, 2019 at 11:33:04 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Amazon killed the NYC deal
hooray
It was a real bad deal
Akin to the an NFL team moving to another city because the tax payers will build a new stadium

It's not so simple. Unfortunately, different locales 'bid' to get these major projects with in this case 25,000 supposedly 'good paying jobs'. And those jobs lead to more car sales, more visits to the dentist, more gym club memberships, etc... Exactly how many tax dollars that is worth is above my pay grade.
February 14th, 2019 at 11:40:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
It's not so simple. Unfortunately, different locales 'bid' to get these major projects with in this case 25,000 supposedly 'good paying jobs'.

Europe doesn't allow this and its a great rule. Google moved to NYC without demanding 3 billion like Amazon demanded. Its BS to use billions of tax dollars to attract a company. Should be illegal like it is in Europe. That way companies cant rape the local communities of their tax dollars
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 14th, 2019 at 2:40:01 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Europe doesn't allow this and its a great rule. Google moved to NYC without demanding 3 billion like Amazon demanded. Its BS to use billions of tax dollars to attract a company. Should be illegal like it is in Europe. That way companies cant rape the local communities of their tax dollars

Not disagreeing with you on if it 'should' be illegal, but it's not. Some other locale bought those 25,000 jobs. I'll be they are happy about it.
February 14th, 2019 at 4:34:31 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83

Professional sports teams do this all the time having the public pay for their stadiums despite the owners being billionaires - are you opposed to this as well?
February 14th, 2019 at 4:44:20 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: aceofspades
Professional sports teams do this all the time having the public pay for their stadiums despite the owners being billionaires - are you opposed to this as well?

Absolutely
I barely watch football. Its a barbaric sport. Players inflicting brain damage on each other. If the NFL goes out of business, I could care less
Spend the tax dollars on better schools and roads. Not stadiums.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 14th, 2019 at 4:49:27 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Absolutely
I barely watch football. Its a barbaric sport. Players inflicting brain damage on each other. If the NFL goes out of business, I could care less
Spend the tax dollars on better schools and roads. Not stadiums.

Building coliseums with public money to provide violent sports to distract the population has been going on for at least 2000 years.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 14th, 2019 at 4:55:07 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: kenarman
Building coliseums with public money to provide violent sports to distract the population has been going on for at least 2000 years.

Yup
That's what the great movie Rollerball was all about. The one with James Caan of course. Not the later lame reboot
February 15th, 2019 at 3:18:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
My dear god, Cortex Cortez is stupid.
Amazon was getting a $3 billion tax
break if they moved to NY. Today
Cortez is ecstatic that now NY can
give the $3 billion to 'the people'
to do good things with.

It was a 'tax break' dear, it was money
Amazon didn't have to pay. There isn't
$3 billion that NY was giving them that
can now be spent elsewhere.

Good god but she's a moron.. That
people like this are in congress making
decisions that effect all of us is frightening.

I do honestly think she does not know how wealth is created. Also one of those types that think it all belongs to the government and we should be grateful for the crumbs the liberals throw out there.

The school that gave her an econ degree needs to have its accreditation reviewed.
The President is a fink.
February 15th, 2019 at 4:39:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
The school that gave her an econ degree needs to have its accreditation reviewed.

I saw the video. She said NY can now
give the $3 bil to people who 'really
need it' and not to Amazon. And
she has an econ degree? Why haven't
her friends told her to keep he mouth
shut.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 15th, 2019 at 6:56:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I saw the video. She said NY can now
give the $3 bil to people who 'really
need it' and not to Amazon. And
she has an econ degree? Why haven't
her friends told her to keep he mouth
shut.

Did you see it looks like she is hiding her boyfriend on the payroll? He has a congressional email address somehow.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 70<123456>Last »