1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)
2 votes (50%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

February 13th, 2019 at 12:24:10 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Gamerfreak complains about getting his $50 entree miscooked in his Borgata trip report, link at bottom. In similar situations do you complain to the restaurant? You can vote on that.

What is it with restaurants not getting the steaks done right? It really is a constant problem, and for me I find it usually is that I want it medium rare and they don't cook it enough. I usually in fact ask for medium in the hope that they won't bring it still mooing. I actually have a theory about that when it is a chain: the restaurants in a chain, say Outback, don't use fancy chefs so I figure they just set it up as simply as they can and maybe even automate the time cooked for steaks. But the steak is not supposed to come straight out of the refrigerator, it is supposed to be closer to room temperature, I'm guessing. That step gets skipped and naturally the steak doesn't cook enough.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling-outside-vegas/atlantic-city/32474-borgata-weekend-trip-report/#post699715
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 13th, 2019 at 12:41:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I always had the opposite problem, they cook it more than I asked. But I would have to agree it is a matter of low trained line cooks not getting it right. Maybe it depends on what the rest of the table ordered?
The President is a fink.
February 13th, 2019 at 12:41:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: odiousgambit
Gamerfreak complains about getting his $50 entree miscooked in his Borgata trip report, link at bottom. In similar situations do you complain to the restaurant? You can vote on that.

What is it with restaurants not getting the steaks done right? It really is a constant problem, and for me I find it usually is that I want it medium rare and they don't cook it enough. I usually in fact ask for medium in the hope that they won't bring it still mooing. I actually have a theory about that when it is a chain: the restaurants in a chain, say Outback, don't use fancy chefs so I figure they just set it up as simply as they can and maybe even automate the time cooked for steaks. But the steak is not supposed to come straight out of the refrigerator, it is supposed to be closer to room temperature, I'm guessing. That step gets skipped and naturally the steak doesn't cook enough.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling-outside-vegas/atlantic-city/32474-borgata-weekend-trip-report/#post699715

"Gamerfreak complains about getting his $50 entree miscooked in his Borgata trip report, link at bottom. In similar situations do you complain to the restaurant? You can vote on that. "
The problem lies in the terminology and the customers experience with meat. I've noticed most lower cost restaurants consider "medium rare" as a little pink, all the way to crispy. Whereas a finer restaurant knows "a little pink" is actually medium to medium well done.
If it continues to be a problem, describe the finished product in different terms, bypassing the rare, medium, burnt to a crisp mantra. Tell the waiter how much pink you want in the middle of the cut. my .02
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 13th, 2019 at 12:43:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
"Gamerfreak complains about getting his $50 entree miscooked in his Borgata trip report, link at bottom. In similar situations do you complain to the restaurant? You can vote on that. "
The problem lies in the terminology and the customers experience with meat. I've noticed most lower cost restaurants consider "medium rare" as a little pink, all the way to crispy. Whereas a finer restaurant knows "a little pink" is actually medium to medium well done.
If it continues to be a problem, describe the finished product in different terms, bypassing the rare, medium, burnt to a crisp mantra. Tell the waiter how much pink you want in the middle of the cut. my .02

Better places I have been put it on the menu. From "Pittsburgh"--charred outside, raw inside to "well"--inedible. Why can't they all do that?
The President is a fink.
February 13th, 2019 at 12:52:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Carry a picture card.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 13th, 2019 at 12:55:49 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit

Until I cut into the middle of a steak, I cant tell if its cooked perfectly. I do that sometimes while cooking. I cut right into it to see how red the middle is
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 13th, 2019 at 6:22:47 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
Until I cut into the middle of a steak, I cant tell if its cooked perfectly. I do that sometimes while cooking. I cut right into it to see how red the middle is

AHHHHHHHHHH NO. GOD NO.

You are destroying your meat. This is literally the worst thing you can do to a steak. The only time it’s appropriate to cut a steak is 10 minutes after it’s been removed from heat. Any time before that and you are just squeezing all the flavor out. Invest in a $20 temperature probe from amazon, or learn to judge the doneness by how firm the steak is to the touch.

To answer OP’s question, I never send food back in a restaurant unless it’s literally inedible. The only recent example I can think of was some pulled pork I got that was stone cold.

What is everyone’s go to cut at a nice steak restaurant (or at home)?
February 13th, 2019 at 6:29:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: gamerfreak

What is everyone’s go to cut at a nice steak restaurant (or at home)?

Only steak worth cooking at home is ribeye.
Sear it in a hot cast iron pan and keep turning
it every minute until it has an internal
temperature of 140. That's medium rare.

Never cut it, never poke holes in it. If you
do that all the juices will run out and you'll
end up with a dry steak. Let it sit for at least
five minutes after you take it out of pan. I
also like to cook it in butter, and baste it
with butter every time I turn it over.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 14th, 2019 at 1:31:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I agree a meat thermometer is the best method, however, you need a thick steak [an argument can be made thick is also a requirement]

a rest is also desirable

so are heated plates this time of year

I could go on
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 24th, 2019 at 6:28:26 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
A long time ago, I actually thought that "Well done," meant that the steak was BURNT! LMAO! 😂Lord have mercy! 😂
Page 1 of 3123>