I need you to come into work this weekend

April 2nd, 2019 at 2:58:42 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I've got to admit - today was a good day in the office - the first time I've been able to say that in a loooooong time - good client meetings - conversing with the Owner and another attorney talking about some British detective show "Foil's War" (I have never seen it) and telling stories for an hour after the client meeting - getting some work done - and basically no interaction with the protege - iff 4/5 days were like this I would change my opinion but I know this is merely a 1/1,000 day

I just got a voicemail from the law firm on long island about setting up an interview but couldn't answer bc i'm on the train - will have to call them when I get home and leave a message
now i have to figure out how to go for an interview without taking a day off - maybe I can do first thing one morning and tell the Owner i'll be in late that morning
April 2nd, 2019 at 6:53:13 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
As much as I enjoy this thread and would love for it to continue forever, best of luck with the potential new job!

First thing in the morning will be your best bet. The earlier the better. That’s what I do. Early or late. Late probably not practical given how far from your current office it is though.
April 3rd, 2019 at 5:20:10 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Foyle's War, in case you should happen to want to look for it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 3rd, 2019 at 10:53:46 AM permalink
aceofspades
Ok so normally we are reimbursed if we have to pay for the subway to get to court (since they stopped reimbursing us for taxis/Uber/Lyft and mandated we only travel by subway) - I just submitted my petty cash request for $5.50 (subway is $2.75 each way) - the bookkeeper paid it and then, 5 minutes later came back and said I am not supposed to get reimbursed for a subway ride when I go straight to court in the morning because that equates to showing up for work - so, she asked for $2.75 back lol
April 3rd, 2019 at 11:14:58 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: aceofspades
Ok so normally we are reimbursed if we have to pay for the subway to get to court (since they stopped reimbursing us for taxis/Uber/Lyft and mandated we only travel by subway) - I just submitted my petty cash request for $5.50 (subway is $2.75 each way) - the bookkeeper paid it and then, 5 minutes later came back and said I am not supposed to get reimbursed for a subway ride when I go straight to court in the morning because that equates to showing up for work - so, she asked for $2.75 back lol

I believe accounting rules specify if the cost of going to your destination was more than your cost to go to work, you get the difference.

If you take the subway to work and it would have been $2,75 anyway, she is correct.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 3rd, 2019 at 11:24:41 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: DRich
I believe accounting rules specify if the cost of going to your destination was more than your cost to go to work, you get the difference.

If you take the subway to work and it would have been $2,75 anyway, she is correct.

That was not the point of the story but, duly noted
April 4th, 2019 at 2:28:26 PM permalink
aceofspades
The office was pretty calm today and I started leaving at 5pm every day this week

just missed the express train (the doors closed as I was about 10 steps away) as, per the 2019 norm, someone stopped at the bottom of the stairs to send a Tweet message because, god forbid the universe wait a few minutes to read their amazing words

Now have to wait a half hour for the next, non-express, train

I did just scream F**K in the middle of Penn Station though
April 4th, 2019 at 3:06:52 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The office was pretty calm today and I started leaving at 5pm every day this week

just missed the express train (the doors closed as I was about 10 steps away) as, per the 2019 norm, someone stopped at the bottom of the stairs to send a Tweet message because, god forbid the universe wait a few minutes to read their amazing words

I did just scream F**K in the middle of Penn Station though
Sometimes no other expression fits.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 4th, 2019 at 3:30:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

The longest I've ever lived from
where I work is 14 min. And I
felt put upon to drive that far.

I can't in my wildest dreams
imagine 2 hours one way.
I wouldn't do it, I'd move to
some city where my commute
was under 15 min.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2019 at 3:34:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
The longest I've ever lived from
where I work is 14 min. And I
felt put upon to drive that far.

I can't in my wildest dreams
imagine 2 hours one way.
I wouldn't do it, I'd move to
some city where my commute
was under 15 min.

I currently have long commutes when I have to go in by the nature of my job, but it is 98% open road driving and no big deal. In AZ I had 45+ mins each way, at the least still moving as I was usually against rush hour, though in Phoenix there is no real "city center." Bad but was just 4 days a week, one Saturday.

When I see all that stopped traffic, Long Island to SoCal, I cannot believe people do it.
The President is a fink.