I need you to come into work this weekend

April 11th, 2019 at 12:46:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: aceofspades
Head of the firm would go to the Men's Rights meetings - promise them the world and how men always get the short ahrift in family court - but, at the same time, argue against it when representing a woman - there was no limitation to only represent men - whoever had a check would be welcomed with open arms (until their money ran out)

More the firm than the concept then. Yeah, like too many businesses, anything for a buck, forget that you will make more in the long run if the concept works.
The President is a fink.
April 11th, 2019 at 2:45:53 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I sort of feel sorry for the Owner - there are times when he appears to be a fragile old man and that always tugs at my heart strings - like when he was leaving earlier he stopped by my office and said "Ya know, if I was your age I would definitely live in Hoboken--it sounds like a grand ole time"

However, I also know the other cold and calculating side that doesn't give a rat's a** about anything or anyone

The fragile side of him convinced me to seriously think about his offer tonight - which I will do but I am 90% sure I will politely turn down his offer

I will then seek out my own clients again and see if the firm I interviewed with yesterday gets back to me - although my hours spent on commute/work would be somewhat comparable:

NYC work + commute = 65-70hrs/wk

LI work + commute = 57hrs/wk

The difference - at the LI firm commute would be 45mins/day versus 1hr45mins/day at my current firm

Of course, the decision of even working at the LI firm could be taken completely out of my hands if I am not even offered the job

However, all that being said, I handed in my resignation and I am going to stick to it - things happen for a reason and I feel this is the right thing to do
April 11th, 2019 at 4:05:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
things happen for a reason

About that. The reason things happen is
you make them happen, or it's a
coincidence, or somebody else makes
things happen to you. There's no
fate, no universal puzzle solver making
the pieces of your life fit together. You
create your own reality.

Whatever decision you make, it's all
on you. No outside mystery force
has a hand in this.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 11th, 2019 at 10:14:36 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
ok so i show up at the interview and the front of the building is made up of two floor to ceiling windows with gigantic letters spelling ATTORNEY

Parked in front of the building on the sidewalk is a purple sparkled Porsche...

Sounds like this guy:

Bryan Salamone, who was on the Netflix show ‘Fastest Car’ where he drove a Lamborghini with mirror chrome wrap and purple accents. He’s a divorce lawyer on Long Island.
April 12th, 2019 at 4:55:15 AM permalink
aceofspades
Thinking of countering Owner's Hoboken offer
Asking to work one day per week from home
April 12th, 2019 at 5:55:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Thinking of countering Owner's Hoboken offer
Asking to work one day per week from home

Now you are thinking! Assuming it can be done from home.
The President is a fink.
April 12th, 2019 at 6:06:50 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: AZDuffman
Now you are thinking! Assuming it can be done from home.

Yeah, of course, if I am due in Court on that day I would not be able to work from home (ed.)
April 12th, 2019 at 6:28:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Yeah, of course, if I am due in Court on that day I would not have the day off

I meant more like can you do any research you need to do from home? I do legal work but in the county I am working I can do 95% of it from home, as I am right now. I do not think I have met one client face to face in 8 years of this, surely a luxury you do not have.

Can you do that much work without client interaction? OTOH, get a VOIP phone and desk, you may be good to go!
The President is a fink.
April 12th, 2019 at 7:15:55 AM permalink
aceofspades
So I drafted a chart detailing all of my cases and what is happening with them and when the next court dates and due dates for documents are — so I go to hand it out to everyone and the two secretaries accused me of being "unprofessional" for only giving 1 week’s notice - I replied that I told the Owner I would stay 2 weeks if he wanted and that he never requested that I do so - they then said “Well, that’s because he thought you would accept his GENEROUS offer” (i.e. Hoboken) — I walked away - not wanting to get into an argument over lack of professionalism at this firm especially when I have been told to "Shut up!" in Court by co-counsel, been made to cut my hair because the Owner did not like my hair style and dealt with the protege's grandstanding and constant lack of professionalism— on the way back to my office I found out that the Owner, per doctor’s orders, must remain in bed today and will not be in — I then stated I would email the Owner and another secretary stated that the doctor told the Owner to not deal with work issues today due to his health — I then stated I would call the Owner over the weekend to discuss it - the secretary said the doctor told the Owner to not have any work contact until at least Monday -- WTF‽

One of the other attorneys overheard this, stopped in my office and said "This place is on fire - nobody acts professionally here, do whatever the hell you want because they would do the same to you, in a heartbeat, if they wanted you out of here" - he then told me he was "jealous" that I was actually leaving
April 12th, 2019 at 7:54:16 AM permalink
aceofspades
The bookkeeper just called me into her office begging me to at least come in on Monday and speak with the Owner in person rather than calling on Monday and then, if no agreement is reached, then so be it — I told her I would be fine coming into the office on Monday to speak with him about my terms and, if no agreement is reached (including the protege and co-counsel BS) then I will say my goodbyes then