I need you to come into work this weekend

April 16th, 2019 at 12:47:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
AND can work from home 1 of 5 days that is a HUGE improvement.

That perk will be the first to go.
They will find some way to have
him leave his home on business
that day. Wait and see.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2019 at 12:51:46 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I'M DONE!!!

More later
April 16th, 2019 at 12:59:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: aceofspades
I'M DONE!!!

Stick a fork into yourself to make sure
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 16th, 2019 at 1:22:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
I'M DONE!!!

I knew they would mess with you, I
thought it would be on your first
work at home day. Did you have
to physically hurt anyone? I hope
so..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2019 at 1:47:41 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Evenbob
I'M DONE!!!

so..

No Bob, I would not physically hurt anyone
Not my style
April 16th, 2019 at 3:00:17 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
I'M DONE!!!

so..

Definitely thought it would take a couple of weeks st least. I mean, it was inevitable anyway but one day later is sooner than I think anyone thought.
April 16th, 2019 at 3:04:50 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Aussie
I'M DONE!!!

so..

Definitely thought it would take a couple of weeks st least. I mean, it was inevitable anyway but one day later is sooner than I think anyone thought.

Yeah, what was the money line on one day?
April 16th, 2019 at 10:55:28 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Aussie
I'M DONE!!!

so..

Yeah, what was the money line on one day?

+105
April 16th, 2019 at 11:24:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Ayecarumba

+105

He never told us what happened. My best
guess is, ProtePrick stuck his nose in and
mucked up the new deal. Ace lost it and
quit, which is what ProteJerk wanted
all along.
April 17th, 2019 at 6:43:19 AM permalink
aceofspades
Here we go...

I was still riding high from the Monday meeting wherein the Owner and I negotiated a deal by which I would receive a small raise and be able to work from home one day per week on a rotating basis (meaning, whichever day of the week did not have a court appearance or a client conference) - Looking through this week's calendar, that day was to be today (Wednesday) and I scheduled it as such on the firm calendar system

So, yesterday, I was to meet the Owner and client at the courthouse on a case

I show up and, as I am waiting, who should walk into the same courtroom but the protege -- we exchange pleasantries and he tends to his client as I await the arrival of the Owner and client

Moments later, the Owner and client show up and the Owner seems to be on his game, schmoozing with attorneys and "holding court" - that is, until a few minutes later when everyone got back to the business at hand and the Owner promptly fell asleep while discussing the case with the client - leaving me to take things over at that point (the client was laughing at him falling asleep - not sure if his laughter was based on nervousness, disgust or just amusement)

Our case is finally called and we proceed to conference the case with the judge, who advises us we should all go out into the hallway and discuss what the discovery (the exchange of financial documents and dates for depositions) schedule would be

As we are in the hallway, protege is also there and comes over and we are all chatting for a few minutes

We then head back into the courtroom and, after discussing the schedule with the judge on the record, the judge states she will "cut an order" detailing the schedule and that we should all wait for a copy of the order

The Owner, not one to wait around for anything, and with the protege's case completed for the day, decides that he will leave the client, protege and himself and have his driver take the client home and the protege and him back to the office while I wait at the courthouse for the written order - meaning, I would be left without a ride back to the office and would have to take the subway (I was not really upset at this at all as it was a beautiful day yesterday and I knew if someone was going to be left holding the bag out of the group, it would be me)

Fine, I arrive back in the office and we are setting up for a settlement conference when one of the attorneys peripherally involved with the case called and stated they would have to reschedule as they were being held over for the afternoon session of court on a case -- the client who had already arrived for the conference at the office did not like the idea of the conference being canceled and wanted to proceed anyway minus the other attorney who could not make it -- the Owner told him "No" and that doing so would be an ethical violation of moving forward with the conference without the other attorney (toss-up as to whether that is true or not as the other attorney was only tangentially involved in the case)

So, while this was going on, we had a meeting in the Owner's office about rescheduling the case - as he is wont to do, the Owner admonished me for "talking too loudly" (even though he knows I have some slight hearing loss and tend to speak loudly) because his office door was open and "the client could hear me"

Still, this was all fine as I do realize I speak rather loudly

Now, I want to just go back a few months to December when, prior to leaving for court one morning, the Owner's then-assistant came into my office and started a conversation with me with this sentence: "Please don't shoot the messenger" -- my ears perked up and I said "OK" -- she then proceeded to tell me that the Owner told her to come in and tell me that I needed to cut my hair as it looked like I "stuck my finger in an electrical socket" - now, my hair is not long, it is close-cropped on the back and sides and slightly longer on the top -- no Judge, no client and no other attorney has ever looked at me and commented about my hair -- needless to say, I was ticked off

At that point, one of the secretaries got wind of what was said and she was fuming -- apparently, she believed that the Owner does not notice anyone's appearance (outside of leggy blondes) and it never would have occurred to him to say anything about anyone's hairstyle or clothing choice -- she believed that the then-assistant had instigated it and relayed a story about how a couple of years ago, one of the receptionists came in with blonde hair - what's wrong with that you might ask - well, she was a black girl and, according to the secretary, the Owner's then-assistant had informed the Owner of the receptionist's new hairstyle and the Owner told the assistant to tell her she could not have blonde hair - apparently, the receptionist became quite upset and the Owner apologized and gave her some money for having upset her -- therefore, according to the secretary, the Owner would never say anything to anyone about their appearance without being prompted by an outside source -- the next day was Saturday so I went and buzzed my hair all the way down to a #1 setting on the clippers

When I came back in that Monday morning, the Owner said I looked "a thousand times better" WTF!!! I looked like an extra from American History X

Which leads us back to yesterday...

After our meeting in his office, we went back to the conference room where the client was waiting -- midstream of the conversation, the Owner asks me to step out of the conference room into the main area of the office -- he then proceeds, with the conference room door open where the client could hear, and in front of his assistant, begins berating me, telling me I look "totally unprofessional", that my haircut is ridiculous and I look like the devil with horns (I guess that was his interpretation of my hairstyle)

The Owner did this in earshot of the client (after admonishing me moments ago to not say anything the client could hear that had to do with the office) and in front of his assistant

This, this, this was the straw that finally broke my back

I wondered how things went from him telling me the day prior that I was a valuable member of the firm and negotiating my remaining there to all of a sudden dressing me down in front of a client and his assistant

I was done - I went back to my office, gathered up the remaining personal effects I had, plus my personal laptop (which I began using a couple of months ago after the refurbished computer in my office crashed and I lost all my work and, there being no network or backup, had to start a 20-page brief from scratch), wrote an email to all the employees save for the Owner and protege thanking them for welcoming me into the firm and informing them that I could no longer work where I was continually disrespected, unappreciated and verbally abused -- I hit send and walked out

On my way out the door, one of the paralegals whispered "Are you leaving for good?" - I said "Yes" -- he fist bumped me and said "I'm jealous"

The entire train ride home my phone was blowing up with text messages from the assistant, paralegal and two secretaries telling me they got wind of what happened and are disgusted by the Owner's behavior and basically told me I did the right thing and that nobody should have to put up with what I've put up with in my year there

The paralegal then texted me that, about 20 minutes before I was leaving, he overheard the Owner and protege discussing my appearance - which led me to believe that it was the protege (if what the secretary told me months ago that the Owner would never comment on someone's appearance without prodding from an outside source) that started all of this -- if that is true, perhaps he was upset that the owner gave me a raise and granted my request to work from home one day per week -- who knows???

I received an email then (I was copied thereon) from the Owner to the attorneys involved in the conference we were supposed to have had responding to their request to hold the makeup conference at their office -- therein, the Owner states that he must have the conference at his office as he now had a "degree of inflexibility thrust upon him" (i.e. my walking out)

I spoke with the secretary last night who informed me that the Owner was "shocked" and "upset" that I had left -- apparently, the other secretary (who has worked for him 30+ years) lambasted him about how he treated me and that she suspected the protege was behind it and that nobody in the entire firm can deal with the protege's behavior and if the Owner did not straighten him out, it was likely the rest of the firm was going to soon follow my lead -- she then informed me that the Owner's driver (who abhors the protege) told the Owner that I was the only one "with the balls big enough to walk out" and "call this firm on its bull****"

Finally, the secretary informed me that the Owner dictated an email to the other secretary to send to me begging me to come back -- I told her I did not receive any such email and that it was too late -- she told me she would keep me in the loop and that, once she calmed down about the situation, was going to echo the other secretary's sentiments when she spoke to the Owner today

Enough was enough - done and done!