I need you to come into work this weekend

May 21st, 2019 at 11:08:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: aceofspades
My entire life is ill-advised

Join the club. Mother, tell your children not to do the things I've done.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2019 at 11:10:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
An aside:

Back in 2010 I had a client for a divorce (she was a stay at home mom) and the husband earned about $120k/year — the Court awarded me $7,500 to be paid by the husband to me on behalf of the wife for attorney fees — the husband never paid and his attorneys at the time relayed a message from him that I would "never see the money", I entered the judgment and recorded it with the county clerk’s office — eventually, the husband and my client reconciled (which does not affect the judgment) - I attempted to track him down to obtain my $7,500 to no avail - then, in 2015 I hired a judgment recovery attorney to go after this guy (the judgment recovery attorney gets 50% of the amount recovered) — I had not heard anything from them until about 10 minutes ago when they emailed me to tell me they tracked this a-hole down and froze his bank accounts and, with interest, the husband owes me $12,000 — they asked if I wanted to offer a settlement amount - I said to call this a-hole and tell him if he pays $7,500 within 7 days (no payment plans), that I would forgive the interest - this would give me $3,750 in, basically, found money - we shall see what happens

Thoughts...?

I would demand the interest so I could pay the collection attorney.
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2019 at 11:17:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
My entire life is ill-advised

I'm pretty surprised by this. If I was in your situation, Unsure of long term employment with the current firm,living pay check to pay check. No way would I go to Vegas.

I could go to Vegas tomorrow but I would rather be in a situation where I can go months without a paycheck. Both my parents have passed away. I have nobody to fall back on. If don't keep it together, I could end up homeless. So I keep it together and go to Vegas only when I have money up and beyond missing a bunch of pay checks.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 21st, 2019 at 11:54:03 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I'm pretty surprised by this. If I was in your situation, Unsure of long term employment with the current firm,living pay check to pay check. No way would I go to Vegas.

My theory was always to save until I had at least six months of money saved to pay bills.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 21st, 2019 at 12:02:32 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: DRich
My theory was always to save until I had at least six months of money saved to pay bills.

I will have that by then
May 24th, 2019 at 4:01:50 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Oh boy

So, on my first day back last week the Owner asked me to draft a Prenup (on behalf of one of the Protege's clients) - of course, I obliged and both the owner and another attorney signed off on it
The happy couple were coming this morning to sign it (not to mention they are getting married TOMORROW)
I woke up at 5:30am this morning to an email from the Protege saying there was language missing
Naturally, the Protege never bothered reading the draft Prenup and now wants language changed
I decided that I had better get dressed and head into the office
The legal secretary called me on my way to the train station and told me I should not lose out on my work from home day due to the Protege's failure to review the draft and that she would work with him on making the correction
It's amazing how, once again, the Protege's failure to review a draft for his own client was going to come back and bite me in the a$$

I am on standby now trying figure this out
May 24th, 2019 at 6:15:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I'm not surprised by the Protege's action
You are just asking for more abuse by coming back
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 24th, 2019 at 10:32:55 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
I'm shocked. This is my shocked face.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
May 24th, 2019 at 10:53:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AcesAndEights
I'm shocked. This is my shocked face.

He'll figure 14 ways from Sunday on
how to 'get you'. Fun days ahead.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2019 at 1:21:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Oh boy

So, on my first day back last week the Owner asked me to draft a Prenup (on behalf of one of the Protege's clients) - of course, I obliged and both the owner and another attorney signed off on it
The happy couple were coming this morning to sign it (not to mention they are getting married TOMORROW)
I woke up at 5:30am this morning to an email from the Protege saying there was language missing
Naturally, the Protege never bothered reading the draft Prenup and now wants language changed
I decided that I had better get dressed and head into the office
The legal secretary called me on my way to the train station and told me I should not lose out on my work from home day due to the Protege's failure to review the draft and that she would work with him on making the correction
It's amazing how, once again, the Protege's failure to review a draft for his own client was going to come back and bite me in the a$$

I am on standby now trying figure this out

Can you not be condescending to the protege or are you too worried you might lose the job? I would have responded "that all of the attorneys that reviewed the draft signed off on it, did you forget to read it as I didn't get any input from you". And, I would have copied the owner on that email.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.