I need you to come into work this weekend

July 2nd, 2019 at 5:28:43 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Mosca
I make my living by asking for the business.

From the little I know about you Mosca you appear to be a successful salesman. Do you think that top salesman are born or trained? I think that you can make an adequate salesman with training but you will never make a top salesman from someone without the 'sales gene'.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 2nd, 2019 at 7:27:36 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
From the little I know about you Mosca you appear to be a successful salesman. Do you think that top salesman are born or trained? I think that you can make an adequate salesman with training but you will never make a top salesman from someone without the 'sales gene'.

Man. I’ve seen both. I don’t think I’m a natural. Sales is not what people think it is. I see it as mostly showing people the right choices and then getting out of their way. You don’t sell; you let them buy. But I’m not a hail-fellow-well-met, life of the party guy. I’m not a type A personality. I turn it on and off as needed, but my natural state is quiet and thoughtful. I don’t like parties, I don’t seek out other people. Other people are okay, but I prefer solitude.

So to answer your question: I think anyone can do it, but most people don’t want to. Desire is a huge component of success, so that’s the reason most people aren’t interested.

To address your “adequate vs top” hypothesis, in general I agree with you. For me, I absolutely hate losing, and I hate not being the best. That drives me to be better than I should be. I need a little bit more time than the type A guys. In the short run, they beat me. But at the end of the year, I’ll compare W2s with any of them.
July 2nd, 2019 at 8:12:00 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Man. I’ve seen both. I don’t think I’m a natural. Sales is not what people think it is. I see it as mostly showing people the right choices and then getting out of their way. You don’t sell; you let them buy. But I’m not a hail-fellow-well-met, life of the party guy. I’m not a type A personality. I turn it on and off as needed, but my natural state is quiet and thoughtful. I don’t like parties, I don’t seek out other people. Other people are okay, but I prefer solitude.

So to answer your question: I think anyone can do it, but most people don’t want to. Desire is a huge component of success, so that’s the reason most people aren’t interested.

To address your “adequate vs top” hypothesis, in general I agree with you. For me, I absolutely hate losing, and I hate not being the best. That drives me to be better than I should be. I need a little bit more time than the type A guys. In the short run, they beat me. But at the end of the year, I’ll compare W2s with any of them.

Thanks for the answer Mosca. Having been an entrepreneur for most of my life I did come to the realization that I was a salesman. Even in construction I had to sell myself and my company but I was never one that could make 'cold calls'. I did have a business equipment company that was totally sales driven and I learned to respect and appreciate those sales personal I had that could move equipment and let go those that couldn't.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 3rd, 2019 at 2:34:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman

To add in here, I find the best salesmen are born, not made. I was in sales management training and was the only one who said this, having to answer down the rest of the room. The company I was in insisted they were made. They tried to make a salesman of everyone. Even wanted me to make an office girl who came with an acquisition a sales girl. That one would have destroyed our credibility and caused an exodus of the people we bought even more than we already had with our bad rep on the street, but that is another story.

My example is, "was Michael Jordan 'made' into a great player?" Yes, he was coached along the way, but he had it.

In my experience, two types make it in sales. The naturals who can sell anything, just put them with a client and get out of the way. And the personalities who will follow orders without question. The second group needs to be of just average IQ. Kind who can learn but does not like to think of a better way to do things. While this group cannot handle when a real sharp walks on the lot, they can handle the other 80%.

I once had two awful salespeople working for me. One looked good but was a total idiot on calls, basically handed them a contract and said "HERE!" and waited. The other a woman who made a decent call, but could tell, not sell. They closed about 33% of their leads. Meaning in that lead driven environment, a dog with a note in its mouth could close that.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2019 at 4:18:43 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: AZDuffman
I wish I had better sales ability. OTOH, I have over my life become amazed at how far you can get by just doing and asking forgiveness if needed. Also just asking for certain kinds of help or information. To the point of ready to pull my hair out when a younger person on the crew is afraid to do so.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.
July 3rd, 2019 at 7:36:33 AM permalink
Mosca
Can't say I disagree with you, AZ. But determination can sometimes put a square peg in a round hole.
July 3rd, 2019 at 7:53:21 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
UPDATE

I just went in to talk to the Owner - I told him I wanted to follow-up on our discussion yesterday - he said “OK - but you need to decide what’s fair” - I replied, stating “Well, as you told me yesterday, it is your firm and all decisions must be, ultimately, made by you” - he then said “Well, how many vacation days are we talking here” - I said “Four days” - he replied “What? I don’t care about that - go and have a good time” LOLOL it is a bi-polar office here

Moments later

WOW I found out the sassy secretary spoke to the Owner before I did and told him he was being petty and to not make a big deal out of my vacation - she totally controls this office
July 3rd, 2019 at 8:55:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Can't say I disagree with you, AZ. But determination can sometimes put a square peg in a round hole.

And given time I might get Lori Grenier to dump her husband for me. Yes, sometimes a person takes to sales when put there for the first time. But I have tried to pound those pegs in, all that happens is your arm gets tired from swinging the mallet and the person gets tired of being hit over the head.

Reality of course is sales is the only way an unskilled person will rise out of the bottom tier of wages. So the hitting will continue.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2019 at 10:23:59 AM permalink
Mosca
Quote: AZDuffman
And given time I might get Lori Grenier to dump her husband for me. Yes, sometimes a person takes to sales when put there for the first time. But I have tried to pound those pegs in, all that happens is your arm gets tired from swinging the mallet and the person gets tired of being hit over the head.

Reality of course is sales is the only way an unskilled person will rise out of the bottom tier of wages. So the hitting will continue.

For me it is about success. I love the feeling I get when I close a deal. That drives me like drugs drive an addict. So I learned how to sell, and I love the feeling.

I've been told I'm an outlier. I'm okay with that. Just pay me.
July 3rd, 2019 at 11:42:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
For me it is about success. I love the feeling I get when I close a deal. That drives me like drugs drive an addict. So I learned how to sell, and I love the feeling.

I've been told I'm an outlier. I'm okay with that. Just pay me.

Not an outlier, just a sales type. There is a reason that top sales performers rarely become great operations people, the "high" is it. Nothing wrong with that, unless one becomes like one guy I worked with. Guy was probably undiagnosed bipolar or manic depressive. If he was selling he could bring a room of people up. If he was not, stay away. Meanwhile he had the mentality of a child as to personal responsibility. Yet he could turn it all off in front of a customer.

After I left he wore out his welcome. That was 20 years ago, by now I assume he has worked at 20 car lots and several in-home sales positions. Probably hawked mortgages 2004-2007.
The President is a fink.