I need you to come into work this weekend

July 3rd, 2019 at 12:40:46 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Not an outlier, just a sales type. There is a reason that top sales performers rarely become great operations people, the "high" is it. Nothing wrong with that, unless one becomes like one guy I worked with. Guy was probably undiagnosed bipolar or manic depressive. If he was selling he could bring a room of people up. If he was not, stay away. Meanwhile he had the mentality of a child as to personal responsibility. Yet he could turn it all off in front of a customer.

After I left he wore out his welcome. That was 20 years ago, by now I assume he has worked at 20 car lots and several in-home sales positions. Probably hawked mortgages 2004-2007.

We're saying the same thing different ways, then. I'm not a High A personality, but I have a huge drive for success. I hate to not win, that is as strong as my love of winning.

For those watching, that is not the same as sales. When something is sold properly, everyone wins. You don't "beat" the customer, and she doesn't beat you; you share a victory. What I mean is that I hate to not find solutions for my customers, and I hate not being the top guy at the end of the year.
July 5th, 2019 at 2:22:15 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Wow, I couldn't deal with the little PTO you get. I would demand what little PTO you think you deserve or leave. I work for PTO. I get 5 weeks, keeps me from quitting. I couldn't deal with less then 5 weeks a year. We work way way too hard in this country. Way too little PTO given out. I feel fortunate to get 5 weeks. It should be the norm, not the exception

In theory, I get four weeks vacations per year plus sick days. I have never taken more than five days vacation in a year or so. I haven't filled out a single vacation request in over 10 years. Nobody seems to care or track the management.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 5th, 2019 at 2:35:01 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
In theory, I get four weeks vacations per year plus sick days. I have never taken more than five days vacation in a year or so. I haven't filled out a single vacation request in over 10 years. Nobody seems to care or track the management.

Wow
I get 5 weeks. Its a huge company. Its a Dow Jones company
My company insists that employees use all paid time off
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 6th, 2019 at 11:22:04 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined
Wow
I get 5 weeks. Its a huge company. Its a Dow Jones company
My company insists that employees use all paid time off

My company is much smaller and although I have never heard disparaging words, I feel like they frown upon people taking time off.
July 7th, 2019 at 12:27:28 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

So you opt to work as a volunteer for 3 weeks a year. Very nice of you. I've had around 8-9 weeks vacation a year and never felt like I would turn down a 10th week if offered.
July 7th, 2019 at 7:27:08 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: SOOPOO
So you opt to work as a volunteer for 3 weeks a year. Very nice of you. I've had around 8-9 weeks vacation a year and never felt like I would turn down a 10th week if offered.

WOW-8-9 weeks sounds incredible

Nobody, no matter how long they have been at the firm, gets more than 16 days (the Owner uses zero days but, presumably, he can can do whatever the F he wants) and the Protege, well, yeah, he does whatever he wants as well
July 7th, 2019 at 12:06:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades

Nobody, no matter how long they have been at the firm,

I've said before, some lawyers in firms
never take a vacay because when they
come back they're afraid their job will
be gone because they've seen it in
other firms.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 7th, 2019 at 3:42:44 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: SOOPOO

I have always worked for smaller companies that usually only have one to three people in each position. In my current position I am they only one who could possibly do some of the tasks. If I am out, they will not get done until I get back. In a small company a weeks time of not getting a task done can cost you a contract that the company can not afford to lose.

Imagine if you were the only anesthesiologist at your hospital, when you are gone no surgeries could be done. I would guess that would really hurt the hospital.

Even when I am sick I usually go to the office. It is not because I like working, I just don't want the company to suffer because I am sick.
July 8th, 2019 at 9:36:29 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I have always worked for smaller companies that usually only have one to three people in each position. In my current position I am they only one who could possibly do some of the tasks. If I am out, they will not get done until I get back. In a small company a weeks time of not getting a task done can cost you a contract that the company can not afford to lose.

Imagine if you were the only anesthesiologist at your hospital, when you are gone no surgeries could be done. I would guess that would really hurt the hospital.

Even when I am sick I usually go to the office. It is not because I like working, I just don't want the company to suffer because I am sick.

Meanwhile. the company has no such loyalty to you - watch how quickly you'd be fired if the company was not netting enough money
July 8th, 2019 at 10:31:12 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: aceofspades
Meanwhile. the company has no such loyalty to you - watch how quickly you'd be fired if the company was not netting enough money

I don't want to believe that is the case. This company went bankrupt with $1.4 Billion in debt and closed down. They opened up again with a name one letter different than the old company name and hired me immediately. I didn't miss a check. I do realize that is not typical, but I am damn good.