Poll
1 vote (25%)
1 vote (25%)
2 votes (50%)

4 members have voted

March 12th, 2019 at 4:43:38 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
So I had a coupon to use when I spent a certain amount. Chain place. No price on the deserts on the menu, their little trick. I ask the price of one desert and explain why. Polite she tells me and says, "I'll math with you if you need to calculate it."

Huh?

So she says "math" can now be used as a verb.

Never heard of that. I'm a bit of an old grouch, but really can I be that out of touch?

Anyone else ever heard of to "math" with someone?
The President is a fink.
March 12th, 2019 at 5:52:04 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Funny you bring this up. Just yesterday I was watching the parody of the R Kelly interview, where he used it as a verb. The whole thing is funny, but skip to the 1:20 part for when he says, "Maybe I can't read, or write, or math."

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAtvxFFsoeg
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 12th, 2019 at 6:14:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
So I had a coupon to use when I spent a certain amount. Chain place. No price on the deserts on the menu, their little trick. I ask the price of one desert and explain why. Polite she tells me and says, "I'll math with you if you need to calculate it."

Huh?

Never heard of that. I'm a bit of an old grouch, but really can I be that out of touch?

Anyone else ever heard of to "math" with someone?

Texting sounds practically natural now, but I don't think I ever heard "text" as a verb before mobile phones. Easier than saying electronic note I guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 12th, 2019 at 6:18:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Urban Slang now permits you to say-

"I've Been Trespassed From a Store. When Can I Go Back?"

It is much faster than saying

"I was evicted from a store for and charged with trespassing. When Can I Go Back?"
Obviously people are evicted from stores for trespassing if they are being a nuisance, drunk or high and/or stealing.

I think proper English in the early 1990's was "I am sending a text on the SMS (short message service)".
SMS was developed before there were standards for actual data transmission over cellular networks.

The current abbreviated verb "texting" developed around 2005 when sending texts on SMS started to become routine.

Back as far as 1590 text as a verb meant "to write in text letters", text letters being a kind of large writing used by clerks in the text or body of a manuscript (distinguished from the smaller hand used in the notes).
March 12th, 2019 at 7:56:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I use "text" as a verb all the time. Usually to get out of having to write a long text by saying, "I text slowly, let me Email my response."
March 12th, 2019 at 8:49:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
, "I text slowly, let me Email my response."

Don't you have voice text on your phone?
I never type them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 12th, 2019 at 8:55:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
I never type them.

I probably do, but don't know how to turn it on.
March 12th, 2019 at 8:56:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Not correctly, she's full of it. I
just Googled it 4 different ways
and found not a single example
of it being used as a verb. Math
describes a thing (noun) not an
action (noun).

You can't say I'm going to 'banana'
for lunch, you say I'm going to eat
a banana.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 13th, 2019 at 2:25:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I never type them.

I hate that feature same as I never use Siri. I think I am so adept at typing it out that it actually slows me down as the thought process is longer most times.
The President is a fink.
March 13th, 2019 at 7:42:35 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I do, often. Was building a rail with a funky corner. Didn't feel like mathing it out so just held it up and marked it.

"I don't know how to calculate this percentage" v "I can't math". Why use lot word when few word do trick?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 1 of 212>