1 vote (25%)
1 vote (25%)
2 votes (50%)

4 members have voted

March 13th, 2019 at 8:50:14 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
. Why use lot word when few word do trick?

Languages evolve.

American English "math" as a shortening of "mathematics" goes back to 1890;
The British preference, "maths", goes back to 1911.

The noun "access" was adopted from Old French about 700 years ago. It became a verb in the early 1960s.

Quote: Britain's Guardian newspaper
Let us now resolve to bury . . . a practice which, in the closing months of the year, seemed increasingly to be defacing the English language: the pressing of decent defenceless nouns, which have gone about their business for centuries without giving the mildest offence or provocation, into service as verbs, sometimes in their original form but quite often after a process of horrible mutilation.
March 13th, 2019 at 9:37:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I do, often. Was building a rail with a funky corner. Didn't feel like mathing it out so just held it up and marked it.

Great. Later I'm going to car to the
store and apple for lunch. Why
don't we just point and grunt
instead of speaking at all. The
dumbing down of the US..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 13th, 2019 at 10:26:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
BASIC ENGLISH (from the 1930s)
1 At the first God made the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was waste and without form; and it was dark on the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God was moving on the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God, looking on the light, saw that it was good: and God made a division between the light and the dark,
5 Naming the light, Day, and the dark, Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
6 And God said, Let there be a solid arch stretching over the waters, parting the waters from the waters.
7 And God made the arch for a division between the waters which were under the arch and those which were over it: and it was so.
8 And God gave the arch the name of Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven come together in one place, and let the dry land be seen: and it was so.
10 And God gave the dry land the name of Earth;and the waters together in their place were named Seas: and God saw that it was good.

BASIC ENGLISH tried to teach all the people of the world to speak English using only a 1000 word vocabulary.
March 13th, 2019 at 1:33:55 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I do, often. Was building a rail with a funky corner. Didn't feel like mathing it out so just held it up and marked it.

"I don't know how to calculate this percentage" v "I can't math". Why use lot word when few word do trick?
As long as you are communicating, I differ with Bob and say what could be wrong with that? However, in formal writing, all that can change, for example if you are a lawyer writing something official ... law firms are thus quite anal about what is correct, even that bit about no proposition at the end of a sentence and all that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 13th, 2019 at 2:14:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
As long as you are communicating, I differ with Bob and say what could be wrong with that?.

That it's using the word improperly, that's
what's wrong with it. More bastardization
of the language.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 14th, 2019 at 1:15:54 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
how about the word 'polymath' ?

that one bugs me as when you see it, it describes someone and you can tell it's a compliment*. You're thinking it must have something to do with mathematics, but someone so described might have little ability in math.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=polymath+definition

*Another irritation: while writing that I had to look this up again to check the spelling https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=compliment+complement
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 16th, 2019 at 9:51:34 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Great. Later I'm going to car to the
store and apple for lunch. Why
don't we just point and grunt
instead of speaking at all. The
dumbing down of the US..

Why don't you? I already do that. Have you never been a laborer? The best teams are ones in which few words need be said.

I agree with you at times, I just think there's a time and place. I hate "text speak", and believe that anytime you wish to be taken seriously, you had better speak seriously. Were I doing my bio thesis, I would write that I excavated a void sufficient to allow for the necessary habitat so that the specimens therein had the area required to be secure, and that oxygen levels were sufficient to sustain the bio load and keep the specimens healthy. But if I'm just in the DIY thread talking about my pond, then all I did was hump enough loads to keep them f#$%ers from killing each other.

Eff calculating the square footage of surface area to estimate ppm of soluble oxygen to be diffused. School's over. I'll just math it out.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 2 of 2<12