New Zealnd Mosque Shootings

Page 2 of 2<12
March 16th, 2019 at 6:59:39 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: ams288
Think we may have a couple on this board, tbh.

Not sure that counts as “knowing” them though.
In my daily life I find most people to be quite "normal" and polite. I almost wish people wouldn't hold the door at my local convenience store when I'm like twenty feet away.
March 16th, 2019 at 3:44:52 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I always like Keanu:
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 17th, 2019 at 4:47:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
At Least 32 Christians killed as mob burns homes, church in Nigeria

Where was the new coverage for this?
The President is a fink.
March 17th, 2019 at 6:17:59 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman

I've always noticed how we Americans downplay the importance or at least interest in travesties in Africa. A single American dies of salmonella and it is front page news. 1000 Africans die of malaria and it is not news. Muslims killing Christians in a predominantly Muslim country does not move the needle. The single horrific terrorist attack of a Christian massacring Muslims in a predominantly Christian country will be front page news for weeks.
March 17th, 2019 at 7:14:02 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: AZDuffman

How to be front page news for something positive:

Be:
not male
not white
not conservative
not Christian
not wealthy (unless you are donating money to one of the above in this list)
anti-Trump

How to be front page new for something negative:

Be:
male
white
conservative
Christian
wealthy
pro-Trump
March 17th, 2019 at 7:40:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: SOOPOO
A single American dies of salmonella and it is front page news. 1000 Africans die of malaria and it is not news. Muslims killing Christians in a predominantly Muslim country does not move the needle.

Deaths are not even close to being equal.

RECOMMENDATION
Michael Lewis is much better known for his later books that were made into films (Moneyball, The Blind Side, The Big Short, Flash Boys ), but I could recommend an earlier book of essays: Lewis, Michael (1991). The Money Culture. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. ISBN 0-393-03037-7.

One of the essays points out that while earthquakes and natural disasters happen all the time, they primarily hit poor people (largely because there are far more poor people than wealthy ones). He looks at the havoc a natural disaster (e.g., an earthquake) in Tokyo could wreak on the world's capital markets. As the book was written in 1991, Tokyo was at the pinnacle of its wealth.

He does point out that a Tokyo earthquake may not have the roughly half a million deaths apiece seen in Bhola cyclone in Bangladesh on November 13, 1970 or the Tangshan earthquake in China on July 28, 1976. But the impact on the world's markets of the wealthiest piece of real estate on the planet being hit.
March 17th, 2019 at 7:29:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
Think we may have a couple on this board, tbh.

Not sure that counts as “knowing” them though.

The only problem with other non-white races is they have some racists too.

You get a bunch of races together without any of the racists, everything is just fine.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 17th, 2019 at 8:14:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
New Zealand, "If you dig into what really happened, you will notice that a heroic bystander wrestled the weapon from the shooter and managed to fire two rounds as the attacker attempted to flee the scene." I hadn't heard that until now, that a bystander shot at the assassin ? https://www.libertynation.com/new-zealand-firearms-they-never-learn/

For the gun enthusiasts : Seattle, https://www.libertynation.com/good-guy-gun-7-eleven-hatchet/ " But the customer, a 60-year-old regular customer from Seattle with a concealed carry permit, drew a gun and shot the assailant, who was pronounced dead at the scene when medics arrived."

And NZ is preparing to write even more anti gun laws.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 21st, 2019 at 7:29:15 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
If we could only get rid of all the guns people would become morally perfect and mentally stable across the whole world and we could all join hands in solidarity all for one and one for all.
Page 2 of 2<12