Page 3 of 5<12345>
March 22nd, 2019 at 3:38:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
There will
be a breakthrough soon and gasoline powered
cars will become obsolete.

Been hearing this since 1979. Don't get your hopes up.
The President is a fink.
March 22nd, 2019 at 7:52:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Dirty little secret is if hybrids were for saving gas they would put them on full size pickups as the 3 MPG they save there would be better than the 10 or so they add on a subcompact. As you point out, savings will not be the same on newer cars already in better tune.

Huh, a truck is for hauling. That's why it is not equipped normally with a fancy hybrid engine.

Okay, a real truck is for hauling. I'd expect you to know manly stuff.

Don't think a Prius is made for a full load and a 1 ton trailer either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 22nd, 2019 at 8:21:36 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
I think the theory is coal comes from terrestrial plants and oil comes from marine animals and plants. Mostly tiny things.
March 22nd, 2019 at 8:52:07 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Huh, a truck is for hauling. That's why it is not equipped normally with a fancy hybrid engine.

Owning a F150, I follow this truck pretty closely on the internet
I see Ford is looking into an electric pickup

https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/ford-all-electric-f150-pickup-truck/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 22nd, 2019 at 9:12:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Huh? What does "hauling" have to do with it?

****MANLY KNOWLEDGE BELOW****

A hybrid can work just fine on a truck. They usually put in "mild" hybrids meaning the engine does not totally shut off, but the electric motor helps with low end grunt. This gives a very valuable 2-3 mpg boost, which is more valuable than the 5-10 a Prius gets over a regular subcompact.

An electric motor is valuable for hauling as it's max torque is at 0 rpm vs a gas or diesel where torque must build to 1500-3000 rpm to peak.

Ever notice the difference between a bus and a trolley getting up to speed? The trolley will get to 30 mph faster every time.

****END MANLY KNOWLEDGE****

The issue is it is not sexy to say the truck gets that 3 mpg more. Truck buyers are more likely to buy based on the extra cost paying back than the Prius buyer who likes the image. It is about marketing, not engineering.
The President is a fink.
March 22nd, 2019 at 9:54:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: pew
I think the theory is coal comes from terrestrial plants and oil comes from marine animals and plants. Mostly tiny things.

In the leading theory, dead organic material accumulates on the bottom of oceans. Over time, more sediment piles on top and the resulting heat and pressure transforms the organic layer into a dark and waxy substance known as kerogen.
Left alone, the kerogen molecules eventually crack, breaking up into shorter and lighter molecules composed almost solely of carbon and hydrogen atoms. Depending on how liquid or gaseous this mixture is, it will turn into either petroleum or natural gas.

And yes, the vast majority of people
think oil comes from dead dinosaurs.
Gee, I wonder why.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 22nd, 2019 at 9:58:27 AM permalink
rxwine
They didn't put hybrids on because of purchase price, not because they can reduce mpg which is what you said. And real truck is used is for hauling not mpg.

End of manly lesson.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 22nd, 2019 at 10:23:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
They didn't put hybrids on because of purchase price, not because they can reduce mpg which is what you said. And real truck is used is for hauling not mpg.

End of manly lesson.

You need to work on your manliness.

They have made hybrid pickups.

I do not understand your confusion that "hauling" does not benefit from more power or that a pickup owner does not want more MPG.

You can still put a "Gilley's" bumper sticker on it.

How much have you ever hauled?
The President is a fink.
March 22nd, 2019 at 10:39:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
You need to work on your manliness.

They have made hybrid pickups.

I do not understand your confusion that "hauling" does not benefit from more power or that a pickup owner does not want more MPG.

You can still put a "Gilley's" bumper sticker on it.

How much have you ever hauled?

Quite a bit when I worked in a cabinet shop. I never said electric doesn't have torque. Never.

The cost of hybrids was more expensive and no one needed them for hauling so why pay the extra cost. Now it may be cheaper so people buy them. If you drive a truck and don't use it for hauling enough to justify it, it's just an oddly shaped commuter car. If you need all terrain, you still don't need a truck, just a 4 wheeler jeep type, maybe sprung to ride high.

If I buy a race car, and drive it on the road, and don't race it you've got an over powered commuter with horribly stiff suspension, and loud inside and out.

You're just an urban cowboy, which is probably quasi-manly.
March 22nd, 2019 at 10:45:09 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: kenarman
Don't quite follow all your numbers Face but vehicles only use 15% of the energy used in the world. Saving 10% of that is 1.5% of world energy.

I was using just US numbers (9.4M/b production a day, ~7B/b a yr). But still... more than a full percent of the ENTIRE WORLD's energy consumption? Surely you realize that's a HUGE number.

But that's immaterial. Really, I'm commenting because I've become or am becoming increasingly concerned with partisanship, as I feel it's reached a point where its priority is way higher than it ever should be, and I found AZD's comment to be an example of it, which is why I brought it up for questioning. I have no context for Obama's quote, so it makes it difficult. If O was saying he planned no drilling or planned to cease some drilling because of the reason "we can just save it", then I understand. As AZD pointed out, you can't just save in perpetuity, you have to match growth with growth. But I don't have that context. All I have is a piece of advice that, on its face, is so completely beneficial AND the EXACT type of advice I and AZD specifically prescribe and engage in, that to see him deride it threw me for a loop.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 3 of 5<12345>