Pastor Rick Warren's son's suicide

April 6th, 2013 at 10:55:43 PM permalink
kewlj
Threads: 3
With the news out today that Pastor Rick Warren's 27 year old son committed suicide, I find myself wondering if sexual orientation had anything to do with it. All of the articles only say that Matthew had a lifeline battle with mental illness, although they all mention a specific timeline of 10 years ago, when he expressed a desire to end his life. I can't help but think the time frame involved, ages 17-27 would be particularly troubling for the gay son of a very famous anti-gay pastor. It wouldn't make it any less or more tragic either way. Just something I was wondering about. Thought?
April 6th, 2013 at 11:13:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think it would leak out, like such things usually do. Unless his son really was keeping it all to himself up to this point. Hard to imagine he wouldn't have a confidant or two though that would know the whole story, if that's the case.

But then again, some story might appear tomorrow or next week, or at any moment. Haven't heard anything so far.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 7th, 2013 at 9:06:12 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: Associated Press
Rick Warren ... said in an email to church staff that he and his wife had enjoyed a fun Friday evening with their son. But their son then returned home to take his life in "a momentary wave of despair."
I don't want to get all Vince Foster nutjob conspiracy theory here. I take the guy's word for it that his son killed himself but I couldn't find any independent news stories with the Who, What, Where, When and How; just the quote from Rick Warren. Why isn't there a police report about this quoted in the press?

edit - I skipped too far down to find the details that were right in the second paragraph:
Quote: Associated Press
His body was found in his Mission Viejo home Friday night, said Allison O'Neal, a supervising deputy coroner for Orange County. She declined to release the cause and manner of death pending an autopsy of the young man.
I still think it's odd that they wouldn't even give a hint of the cause of death. Usually they say knife wounds to the wrists or bullet wound to the head or a bottle of pills were found nearby.

Strange.
April 7th, 2013 at 2:43:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: s2dbaker
I still think it's odd that they wouldn't even give a hint of the cause of death. Usually they say knife wounds to the wrists or bullet wound to the head or a bottle of pills were found nearby.

it was a bullet wound.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/07/us/matthew-warren-suicide/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 7th, 2013 at 4:44:50 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: rxwine
If he had a history of mental illness then why did he have a gun?
April 7th, 2013 at 5:52:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: s2dbaker
If he had a history of mental illness then why did he have a gun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLIVbm0lm80&feature=player_detailpage#t=6s