Your personal job fails? LMAO! :D :(

June 25th, 2019 at 10:40:05 AM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Well, years ago, I told a woman returning without a receipt that "Without a receipt, for all I know, you stole it!" Oh my God! I can't believe I said that. The Customer was surprisingly civil about what I said and said something like,"If you didn't see me steal it, you shouldn't say that." The Manager told me in private,"I would have cussed you out if I were the customer."

I asked a woman in her 30's if the older gentleman who was with her if he was her Grandfather. She coldly responded,"That's none of your business," with an annoyed expression. I realized she seemed ready to report me to a Manager, so I quickly apologized and mentioned that I crossed the line by asking that question and shouldn't have asked it. I really didn't think it was all that bad of a question, I just apoligized and showed contrition because I wanted to prevent being reported. She nodded but still looked annnoyed. I thought,"Crap, she still looks like she is going to report me! The next day, my Assistant Manager told me she complained stating that I shouldn't have asked her such a personal question. She(Customer)stated to the Manager that my job is to ring up customers and not pry into customer's personal business. She told me that she gets that I have an innocent personality but many customers aren't comfortable with Cashiers asking about their private lives. I was lucky that it was my nicer Manager who got the complaint rather than the stricter Manager. A Coworker said something like,"If you were a kid, that question would have been cute and understandable. But a grown adult asking that same question comes off as stupid."

A Customer asked me the name of one of our Managers, who got a lot of praise, compliments, and adulation from a lot of customers. I told her the Manager's name, expecting her to say something good, and instead, she gave a "I'm going to get this Manager in trouble with Corporate," expression . She said something like,"Your Manager is going to get into big trouble with Corporate. I didn't like how she talked to me. I told her that I wasn't going to buy a lotion for $10. Your Manager asked me,"What's your problem?" I told her ,"I don't want it." To me she added,"That's not what you say to Customers who don't want to buy an expensive item. You take the item back with no questions asked." I honestly thought she was asking for the Manager's name to give her praise. I felt like crap so easily giving the Manager's name with no qualms and not even asking if it was for a compliment or a complaint. Since then if it's obvious it's a complaint I tell them that they can call Corporate and get the name from them. Another Manager told me that my Call Corporate," answer could get me into trouble as well. I do not feel comfortable pushing people under the bus. I do tell Customers that Cashiers are not allowed to give out names of Managers and Employees(There is something like that) which does seem reasonable to the Customers.

I had been chronically late so many times and been warned about it multiple times and even got written up for it at times. The District Manager even wanted me suspended for five days, but my Bosses and Coworkers begged the District Manager not to suspend me. The DM decided not to do it at the time. One fateful day, I had completely forgotten that the DM was visiting the store and I had come really late that same day. Whoops, what an idiot I was! I was sweating bullets. How I forgot the DM was visiting that day is beyond me. The DM congratulated my great Customer Service, and my good attitude, but mentioned by lack of punctuality. Because I was not told to go home for five days, I thought I was off the hook. The next day, despite coming within the allotted time(There is a 7 minute window grace period after the start time before the system flags as being late) I was told I was suspended for two days. I shook my two bosses hands and thanked them for not giving me the full five day suspension. But still two days with no pay sucks. Still better than five days with no pay.

So what personal job fails happened to you? :D :(
June 25th, 2019 at 10:44:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Makes my day when I can block yet
another of Nathans threads. Life
is good.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2019 at 2:08:45 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Quote: Evenbob
Makes my day when I can block yet
another of Nathans threads. Life
is good.

This is a good thread!