Boston information

Page 1 of 3123>
April 15th, 2013 at 2:15:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It looks like the bombs exploded four hours after the race began. So it looks like they were on timers or they probably would have exploded closer to the first few finishers and all the accompanying crowds. A third bomb blew an hour later, but the police were aware of the device and may have detonated it themselves. The 4th and 5th bomb are being dismantled by the bomb squad.
April 15th, 2013 at 2:46:58 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
It looks like the bombs exploded four hours after the race began. So it looks like they were on timers or they probably would have exploded closer to the first few finishers and all the accompanying crowds. A third bomb blew an hour later, but the police were aware of the device and may have detonated it themselves. The 4th and 5th bomb are being dismantled by the bomb squad.

Was there a delay to the start this year? Or did it start early? I'd have thought they could have guessed the busiest time... the Boston Marathon has a very strict qualifying time, so 4 hours after the start is when the 50+ and impaired runners would expect to be coming in.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 15th, 2013 at 3:15:18 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I think the Red Sox game had just or was about to let out, no?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 15th, 2013 at 4:56:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The third "bomb" at the library was merely a suspicious package that the police detonated rather than risk injury monkeying around with it.
Agree, timers. Low power. Dust cloud shows force was upwards. No shrapnel and no skill to send the debris into the sidewalk and streets. Amateurs.
April 15th, 2013 at 5:26:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but timing the bomb to go off after four hours may have resulted in a much lower casualties. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to enter the Boston Marathon one must have a proven past marathon under 3:45. So, a 4:00 time in Boston would be the stragglers of the group.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 15th, 2013 at 5:41:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but timing the bomb to go off after four hours may have resulted in a much lower casualties. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to enter the Boston Marathon one must have a proven past marathon under 3:45. So, a 4:00 time in Boston would be the stragglers of the group.

Don't forget with 27K competitors they would take some time to cross the starting line. So it exploded way past the core group of runners, but there was still a few thousand people left on the field. I imagine some of them were disappointed because by that time you are just running to say "I finished the Boston Marathon".

While it is looking like an amateur domestic group that set the bombs, it in a sense makes things worse. Now you are worry about everyone with an emotional problem on the streets. Of course, to the parents of the children that die in these shootings, it hardly matters if the shooter is amateur or professional.
April 15th, 2013 at 5:46:18 PM permalink
Face
Wow. My g/f just texted me and told me she and her aunt had planned to enter but her aunt couldn't get the day off. They run way faster than 4hr, but still...
April 15th, 2013 at 6:15:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There are lots of marathons but only one Boston Marathon and the difference is Heartbreak Hill.. . just when most marathon runners are seriously out of steam, the Boston Marathoners encounter Heartbreak Hill... it slows their times down.

Being somewhat near the Finish Line the sidewalks were lined with crowd control people and spectators, no one likes to be made a target of some anonymous grudge. Sure its lucky the bombs were poorly times, weak, vented upwards (probably by garbage cans) and did not contain shrapnel material ... but its still some sort of incident that is supposed to happen solely on foreign shores.
April 15th, 2013 at 8:53:04 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard

That was my initial thoughts. I've heard a lot of the casualties are the spectators, not the the runners. The BBC has finish line footage of the first explosion, if curious/morbid.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 15th, 2013 at 9:08:29 PM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
The BBC has finish line footage of the first explosion, if curious/morbid.

We live in America. That footage, even though I was at work, is something I saw on TV at least 20 times looped over and over.... and over...
Page 1 of 3123>