Boston information

Page 3 of 3<123
April 21st, 2013 at 6:58:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Some would say this is merely staging for a future attempt of a government take-over.

Personally, I am less paranoid. I do recognize that one result will be that the government may get called on the carpet for interviewing these guys and not following up correctly. I could see a lot more following people around and alerts to the public.
April 21st, 2013 at 9:03:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
.Timothy Mcveigh was indicted on 11 federal counts
(1) conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction,
(1) use of a weapon of mass destruction,
(1) destruction by explosives and
(8) eight counts of first-degree murder.

The 8 counts were for federal officers. He was never tried on the 160 other deaths which were under the jurisdiction of the Oklahoma State. Since he received the death penalty for the other 8 officers, there was essentially no need to try him for the other 160 counts. It still took 6 years to execute him.

We can presume that they thought long and hard how to prosecute the next case. We can also safely presume that nobody wants to see him tried by the State of Massachusetts which has no death penalty, and nobody wanted him to have a lawyer who could tell him to keep silent.

So presumably he is being tried by federal court. Probably not for treason, as no one has been convicted and sentenced to death for treason in 60 years.

"Destruction by explosives" is the only obvious charge. I don't know if they can try him for first degree murder. WMD legal charges may be issued, but I don't know if they legally qualify.

Any ideas? They may announce the charges tomorrow, so this question will probably have a short lifespan.
April 22nd, 2013 at 1:02:20 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Off the top of my head, I would guess a new charge and something which is based on an arbitrary definition.
April 22nd, 2013 at 4:40:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
A Justice Department official, told CNN he will face federal terrorism charges and possibly state murder charges.
April 22nd, 2013 at 7:13:21 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
and nobody wanted him to have a lawyer who could tell him to keep silent.

Do you figure this guy is the one person in the whole world who has not seen an American TV cop show in the past fifty years?

Quote:
I don't know if they can try him for first degree murder.

Why not? he clearly intended to kill people, and people were killed. It doesn't matter if he dind't target a specific person. And it was all premeditated.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 22nd, 2013 at 9:41:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Why not? he clearly intended to kill people, and people were killed. It doesn't matter if he dind't target a specific person. And it was all premeditated.

I meant he cannot be tried for first degree murder as a "federal crime". Normally murder is tried as a "state" crime. Massachusetts does not have capital punishment.

List of States to abolish the death penalty (year)
Dist. of Columbia (1981)
Alaska (1957)
Connecticut (2012)
Hawaii (1957)
Illinois (2011)
Iowa (1965)
Maine (1887)
Massachusetts (1984)
Michigan (1846)
Minnesota (1911)
New Jersey (2007)
New Mexico (2009)
New York (2007)
North Dakota (1973)
Rhode Island (1984)
Vermont (1964)
West Virginia (1965)
Wisconsin (1853)

Capital punishment in Mexico was officially abolished in 2005, having not been used in civil cases since 1937, and in military cases since 1961.
April 22nd, 2013 at 2:53:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Pacomartin
.Timothy Mcveigh was indicted on 11 federal counts
(1) conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction,
(1) use of a weapon of mass destruction,
(1) destruction by explosives and
(8) eight counts of first-degree murder.

Tsarnaev, 19, was charged with one count of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and one count of malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive device resulting in death.

These are the same charges that McVeigh faced, but inexplicably two of them are combined into one charge. It seems that the definition of WMD includes IED's.

The WMD charges can include the death penalty, so it seems that the murder charges will probably not be prosecuted.

Quote: CNN Blog 2 June 2007 regarding Timothy McVeigh

http://www.cnn.com/US/9706/02/charges/index.html?_s=PM:US

Count 1 -- Conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction. G U I L T Y
Count 2 -- Use of a weapon of mass destruction. G U I L T Y
Count 3 -- Destruction by explosive of government property. G U I L T Y
Counts 4 -11 -- First degree murder for each of eight federal agents killed in the explosion. G U I L T Y
With a guilty verdict in the first three counts, they then had to answer this question:

"Do you find that the government proved beyond a reasonable doubt that the crime or crimes committed by the defendant, Timothy James McVeigh, as found above resulted in the death of one or more of the persons named in the indictment?"

Answering yes, the jurors then had to answer this question:

"Was the death of such person or persons a foreseeable result of the defendant's criminal conduct?"
April 22nd, 2013 at 11:00:49 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Off the top of my head, I would guess a new charge and something which is based on an arbitrary definition.

I think I win. Weapons of mass destruction, arbitrary and ambiguous.
April 23rd, 2013 at 5:28:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I think I win. Weapons of mass destruction, arbitrary and ambiguous.

I think the key point is that the WMD can carry the death sentence.

An example of a Massachusetts serial killer is Alfred J. GAYNOR who raped and strangled 9 women, often leaving the bodies posed in grotesque positions to shock whomever found the victim, which was often their children. He is serving a life sentence today (age 43) because Mass. does not have the death penalty.

Since it is very unlikely that the government could fail to make a case against these charges,considering that he has confessed, then he will be executed.

===========
BTW: I think it is one thing for me to say in a forum that it is my opinion that he will be executed, but I don't think FOXNEWS should be shouting it on the airin the context of breaking news. I am expressing my opinion here, but it is not professional to shout it out as part of a news broadcast. It is OK to say it as part of news analysis.
Page 3 of 3<123