More young women looking at life as a Nun

Page 3 of 3<123
July 12th, 2019 at 9:35:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Nonsense.

Not really.

"Prohibition represented a conflict between urban and rural values emerging in the United States. Given the mass influx of migrants to the urban centers of the United States, many individuals within the prohibition movement associated the crime and morally corrupt behavior of American cities with their large, immigrant populations." Christine Sismondo (2011). America Walks into a Bar "The two major organizations that lobbied for national Prohibition—the Women’s Christian Temperance Union and men’s Anti-Saloon League—blamed Catholic (European} immigrants in the 1910s for the “saloon culture” they felt was plaguing the nation. The League even argued that the U.S. needed to pass a national ban before its demographics changed too much."

The temperance movement goes back to
before the Civil War. After 1880 we started
letting all these Germans, Russians, Poles
and other E EUR hard drinking immigrants
into the country and the temperance people
went nuts. These were hardcore drunks
who would spend half their wages at
the saloon and let their families starve.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2019 at 8:05:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: AZDuffman
Behold, the millennial nuns.

I will add more later, but am both up to my tail in alligators and would like to give the Padre first crack at comments.

It took me a while to read the very good article you posted. One thing that comes across and something I see in my work is that there is a strong appeal to traditional liturgy, black and white doctrine, strict morals, etc. However, like in the article it doesn't often last for long and can lead to real disappointment. Life is just not that simple and the article does a good job of critiquing modern society. Virtue and truth are not found in the extremes but in the middle, in a kind of balance. That is why in reading the article I could sense something was off in Tori's radical type of commitment and decision to enter the convent. She got great advice from a spiritual director and it didn't surprise me at all that she decided to hike the Appalachian Trail instead.

I agree with the high school teacher the article quotes in that I don't think we really know what our young people are dealing with, we don't understand it and we don't have a names for it. I pray for young people all the time because they have to navigate such strange and difficult waters. Some are turning to the Church but our strict traditions I don't think will provide all the answers they are searching for and some are turning to radical progressive ideas are are losing themselves and any notion of hope and truth in the process. The problem is that if you advocate for a balanced view you are labeled a wacky liberal by one side and racist bigot from the other.

Anyway, despite the article's stats I still believe that the vast majority of women religious orders will cease to exist in my lifetime, if God grants me many more years. There are some that will continue and will grow and they are good strong orders that do lots of good. One of them is a teaching order, another does healthcare, and a third I am thinking of serves the elderly destitute.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 13th, 2019 at 8:24:04 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I think modern life is overwhelming in so many respects. Maybe some women see the sisterhood as a refuge where they can sheep their way through life, but the Sisterhood itself has always made it clear that was not its purpose. So they tend to cull those who are using it as an escape from life before they take their final vows.

Perhaps that has changed in the last 50 years as the population has aged and dwindled. But maintaining a high standard of purpose might in itself be the reason for the drastically lower population. (I have to think the abuse scandals of the last couple of decades have had a major impact, too.)

I do think the revivification of the interest is spurred by Francis. He is an inspiration regardless of a person's religion, and in the literal sense, breathing new life into women who hear the Call. He's been Pope long enough now that there is a trust in his Holiness and leadership, and that's going to draw both men and women into his sphere.

I think it's undeniable as well, though, there is an attractiveness to avoiding the practical tribulations of modern life. The Sisterhood will clothe and feed you, house you, and give you a purpose beyond yourself. When compared with the cost of raising children, finding affordable housing, and living in a world currently filled with anger and animosity, withdrawing into a group of like-minded active people without sexual and social pressures must seem attractive.

And there are many strong and notable nuns in the world, as teachers, nurses, and other role models worth emulating. Girls exposed to them at the right formative points can find themselves emulating the lifestyle and desiring the validation.

JMHO, as a non-Catholic product of a Jesuit university.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
July 13th, 2019 at 8:28:35 AM permalink
FrGamble
The Jesuits did a great job, thanks for your post.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 13th, 2019 at 8:29:58 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Fleastiff
I knew one nun who quit after nine years and felt her family should compensate her for having always pushed her toward the church because it was the only safe 'cover' for her sexual orientation of which they were deeply ashamed.
Its probably easier for priests to get something on the side since nuns often have travel in groups of three.

✂️"sisters"
July 13th, 2019 at 11:04:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
I pray for young people all the time .

Why do anything proactive when
you can just pray about it. That's
almost like doing something real,
but not really.. Makes you feel good,
that's what counts, and takes no
effort at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 13th, 2019 at 11:07:11 AM permalink
FrGamble
While I believe prayer is one the greatest things we can do rest assured I work very hard in other ways to help young people literally every single day.
July 13th, 2019 at 12:21:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
While I believe prayer is one the greatest things we can do

It's great for making you feel good,
it's worthless for any real good. As
has been shown again and again
in hospital prayer studies. It's
something you're told to do as
a child and you never questioned it.

Long-Awaited Medical Study Questions the Power of Prayer

Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found..it is the most scientifically rigorous investigation of whether prayer can heal illness, the study, began almost a decade ago and involving more than 1,800 patients.. The study cost $2.4 million, and most of the money came from the John Templeton Foundation, which supports research into spirituality. The government has spent more than $2.3 million on prayer research since 2000.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html
Page 3 of 3<123