Songs that SHOW a story?

Page 4 of 4<1234
July 20th, 2019 at 9:13:04 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
That's the strange thing, Nathan didn't need a sock here because she's not banned. Nevertheless, I'll allow KarenNathan to remain at DT.

I don’t care one way or the other, but does this mean that I am free to create as many other accounts as pleases me?

I’m not going to do it, because I don’t care, and that would be a lot of work. However, policing and killing all those other accounts would create one hell of a lot of work for the unpaid moderators on this small corner of the internet. If holding multiple accounts is not against the forum rules, it should be. If only for the sake of the people who care enough to police it. Because creating multiple accounts is a sign of scorn and arrogance. there is no reason to do it other than to sow disruption.

Edit: In fact,

“11) Multiple accounts: One account per person. Posting under multiple identities is cause for immediate expulsion. (Added 12/30/2010)”

Source: The Rules. Look at the header, click “rules”. Although the qualifier at the bottom states that “punishment will be meted out on a case by case basis”, this particular rule carries with it a specific penalty.
July 20th, 2019 at 9:24:56 AM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Pacomartin

John Townes Van Zandt (March 7, 1944 – January 1, 1997), wrote Pancho and Lefty in 1972. Emmylou did a cover in 1977, In 1983, Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson made it a number one hit.

Townes Van Zandt was a serious addict who suffered from bipolar disorder and died young from health problems stemming from years of substance abuse.

Much of his work would fit the (admittedly vague) intent of the original post. I picked “Pancho and Lefty” because it is his best known song, but I could very well have chosen “Flyin’ Shoes”, “Tecumseh Valley”, “Waitin’ Around to Die”... lots of them.
July 20th, 2019 at 9:35:16 AM permalink
Mosca
Here’s another. Newman creates a series of images that elicit a feeling, perfectly interpreted by Linda Ronstadt.

July 20th, 2019 at 10:32:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Mosca
I don’t care one way or the other, but does this mean that I am free to create as many other accounts as pleases me?

I’m not going to do it, because I don’t care, and that would be a lot of work. However, policing and killing all those other accounts would create one hell of a lot of work for the unpaid moderators on this small corner of the internet. If holding multiple accounts is not against the forum rules, it should be. If only for the sake of the people who care enough to police it. Because creating multiple accounts is a sign of scorn and arrogance. there is no reason to do it other than to sow disruption.

“11) Multiple accounts: One account per person. Posting under multiple identities is cause for immediate expulsion. (Added 12/30/2010)”

Source: The Rules. Look at the header, click “rules”. Although the qualifier at the bottom states that “punishment will be meted out on a case by case basis”, this particular rule carries with it a specific penalty.

Good question. I'm going to make an exception in this case. I don't want to state why publicly, but you can PM me if you're truly interested. Meanwhile, file it under that qualifier you mention.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 20th, 2019 at 10:34:03 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

Townes Van Zandt was a serious addict who suffered from bipolar disorder and died young from health problems stemming from years of substance abuse.

That he couldn't stop smoking long enough to play a song on his guitar probably didn't help.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 20th, 2019 at 10:49:11 AM permalink
Mosca

That he couldn't stop smoking long enough to play a song on his guitar probably didn't help.

“Live at The Old Quarter” is great. Recorded in ‘73, before his descent into self destruction robbed him of his talent.
July 20th, 2019 at 10:50:57 AM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Mosca

Good question. I'm going to make an exception in this case. I don't want to state why publicly, but you can PM me if you're truly interested. Meanwhile, file it under that qualifier you mention.

Naw, I don’t really care that much about meta stuff. If it’s okay with you, it’s okay with me.
July 20th, 2019 at 2:08:30 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
That is always so disappointing. Some actors go on stage despite serious stage fright which they are too famous to reveal. Some performers go on stage while high on heroin and its never even suspected. Then there was that youtube ad where a girl was thought to be totally stoned at the time and her performance wound up getting her a trip to France and a movie role.
Page 4 of 4<1234