Observations in the Natural World

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
July 3rd, 2021 at 11:59:23 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
It took me a long time to find what this bug was in the garden. Couldn't find it because it's not a beneficial insect for the garden, and that is how I was searching for it at first.
from mdc.mo.gov
It sure looks like it wants to eat other bugs and would be beneficial. It's big enough, too, to give you pause; in fact this is a female and she can bite . My pics next, from a cell phone, note those lady jaws! [mandibles].

Turns out the adults like this do not eat, they only breed. The larvae are aquatic and can bite too, hellgrammites... voracious, I think.

https://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/eastern-dobsonfly
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 9th, 2021 at 2:57:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
The neighbor's yard-light went out and this is the first night I could check out the stars on a clear night. The light from other sources still made it less than ideal, too close to town I guess. I still couldn't make out the little dipper for instance

Venus is a horizon-hugger seemingly, the morning and evening 'star', joining the sun in disappearing soon after sunset ... and the sun drowns it out after sunrise. It has to hang around the sun, being closer. Yet I'm often surprised how high in the sky it seems, when you can see it. 

Tonight I realized the north star, Polaris, is fixed pretty high in the sky, as the image shows in time-lapse photography. It occurs to me that you might expect to be unable to see much below Polaris, but you see quite a bit. I don't think this is a seasonal thing, an effect of the earth's tilt on axis that changes this. There is a bit of wobble in the rotation of our planet, which sounds like an explanation, but I don't think it is, it's too slow of a process plus probably hard to detect.

If I don't post back here soon I didn't find the answer by searching

December 9th, 2021 at 3:04:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
this comes up in Google "people also ask" ... so I guess it makes sense

Quote:
As you travel northward, Polaris climbs higher in the sky. If you go as far north as the North Pole, you'll see Polaris directly overhead. As you travel south, Polaris drops closer to the northern horizon. If you get as far as the equator, Polaris sinks to the horizon.
google sites https://earthsky.org
November 11th, 2022 at 2:53:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I guess we don't have a hunting thread ... so will use this one

a good illustration of how important it is not to run from a bear ... even a grizzly intent on eating you has to think twice if you don't. A female protecting cubs might not think twice , though. I have to think I would have held fire too, but at one point I might have given the bear a blast. No, the birdshot wouldn't kill the bear, but it would probably be excellent discouragement.

Details are missing ... how did he finally get safe? How was he in a position to record this? [it's odd to be prepared for that while bird hunting if you ask me]. Is he close to his vehicle? [the dog seems put away]

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/video-brown-bear-charges-bird-hunter-who-holds-fire-at-close-range/?dicbo=v2-1362dcd568efb0914ed5f7179905152d
Page 5 of 5« First<2345