The Gay Thread

December 23rd, 2021 at 8:09:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Would Danica Patrick, Olivia Munn, and Shailene Woodley be considered fixers?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 23rd, 2021 at 8:59:22 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I’ve been to a bunch of gay clubs (with my wife) and never once felt preyed upon.

However one time in a AC nightclub, a group of girls came up behind me and slapped my ass HARD and ran away. I chalk it up to a dare or sorority challenge.
December 23rd, 2021 at 1:11:38 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
It's like black people make up 12% of the population but about 80% of the
people in power on TV shows. Judges, police captains, mayor's, governors,
generals, high school principals, you name it. If it's a position of power
there's a black actor filling it. Makes Hollywood feel all warm and fuzzy.

It's spelled "R-E-P-A-R-A_T_I-O-N-S."

Why does it bother and affect you so much, EB?

What, the idea of not keeping the black man down threatens you and your insular world?
December 23rd, 2021 at 1:38:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee

What, the idea of not keeping the black man down threatens you and your insular world?

The people least upset about other people's past grievances, always seem to complain the most when it appears to be happening to them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 23rd, 2021 at 4:44:02 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee

Reminds me of Gil Hill
Played Eddie Murphys boss in Beverly Hills cop
Was a real life badass with a badge
I believe White Boy Rick served a real long term in prison due to the power of Gil Hill
He actually ran for mayor but way too many skeletons being a badass with a badge.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 24th, 2021 at 12:31:07 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Not to mention the fact that Hollywood is not a function of Government, but we've gone so far off of the deep end, at this point, that I guess the fundamental differences between something being imposed or not imposed by the Government doesn't matter.

Exactly Hollywood cares about making money (which means making movies/shows that people will watch/rewatch in large numbers).

Its not a perfect analogy, but somebody I was talking to some years back went on a rant about how the U.S. military is over-represented in Hollywood and how its not fair to other countries who participated (WWII specifically), my response was they are making movies for Americans, and more Americans are interesting in buying tickets to see the American military. If you go to China you could say that the Chinese military is overrepresented, UK same thing etc....

The fact is (most) people want to see movies that are interesting, if Hollywood was demographically representative of society, that would mean most Americans are Homicide Detectives, Genius Doctors, and Super Soldiers. So, I really do not understand the argument that Hollywood needs to be demographically accurate.

In any case (according to Wiki, so take it for what its worth), it seems like since 2012 the number of LGBT regular/reoccurring characters on broadcast TV ranges from 3.3%-10.2% (this was an abnormally high year), with an overall average of under 5ish%. This seems pretty fair (again this is not just gay, but all LGBT, so bisexual, trans, etc...). According to Gallop, there is 5.6% of Americans who are LGBT, so this is pretty spot on. And, this is just regular TV (which I personally hardly watch), movie rates are actually even lower....

https://news.gallup.com/poll/329708/lgbt-identification-rises-latest-estimate.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_portrayal_of_LGBT_people

I guess the point is, its a silly thing to complain about, but its not even a valid complaint, the demographic representation are about as right as it gets (if anything its on the low side, what would be the ideal rate? 0%? For some people probably so......) .
December 24th, 2021 at 1:26:49 PM permalink
rxwine
I'm not sure of the current ratio, but some of the fairly well-known gay roles were played by non-gays. Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, John Ritter, Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Douglas, Matt Damon. That's just the ones I can remember.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 24th, 2021 at 1:27:54 PM permalink
rxwine
I guess technically Ritter played a straight guy playing gay guy, but it's close enough.
December 24th, 2021 at 8:10:54 PM permalink
Mooseton
Threads: 0
…..misunderstood
December 25th, 2021 at 4:49:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
I'm not sure of the current ratio, but some of the fairly well-known gay roles were played by non-gays. Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, John Ritter, Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Douglas, Matt Damon. That's just the ones I can remember.

Some actors like the "challenge" of this kind of role. See it as pushing themselves in their profession.

Ritter as was said above did not play a gay guy. Today that show would be attacked by the gay lobby.

When they saw how he acted the producers actually thought he was gay.
The President is a fink.