The Gay Thread

May 23rd, 2023 at 12:51:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146

Why any of you still quote and respond to me, I will never understand.

I'm just trying out redemptive suffering. ; )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 23rd, 2023 at 1:07:33 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: DoubleGold
I wasn't looking at the red versus blue political context.

Just the reverse discrimination of Ford.

However, I haven't checked if Toyota followed suit yet, so I'd make sure to do that before I bought.

I've always preferred to buy American.

So Ford was my last domestic hope for non-electric vehicles and I don't care for GM products.

Stop being such a prude it’s the 21st century. American/Chinese, gay/straight, male/female, it’s all the same thing anyways.
May 23rd, 2023 at 1:12:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Dude, you can't be serious, from their own website:

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/history-3693

"The history of the Volkswagen brand began with the “Käfer”; development work on this Nazi prestige project began in 1934. On May 28, 1937, the “Gesellschaft zur Vorbereitung des Deutschen Volkswagens mbH“ (Company for the Preparation of the German Volkswagen Ltd.) was formally established. The name was changed to “Volkswagenwerk GmbH” in 1938, and the company built its main plant in what has become Wolfsburg. However, the outbreak of war and integration in the arms industry prevented mass production of the Volkswagen (“people’s car”) – instead, military vehicles and other armaments were produced using forced labor. "

I am completely serious. The VW that existed before the war was destroyed by the war. All that remained was some tooling. Ownership was started from scratch. In fact, after the war what was left of VW was offered to Ford who declined in huge part because actual ownership could not be determined.

Buuut, if you want to use your standard then GM made vehicles for the Nazis. So, which is it going to be?
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2023 at 1:24:09 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
I am completely serious. The VW that existed before the war was destroyed by the war. All that remained was some tooling. Ownership was started from scratch. In fact, after the war what was left of VW was offered to Ford who declined in huge part because actual ownership could not be determined.

Buuut, if you want to use your standard then GM made vehicles for the Nazis. So, which is it going to be?

Many companies had massive restructuring after the 1930s. I said that you can't hold past leadership responsibilitie for mistakes of history.

I am the one saying I don't hold company actions as a major factor when making purchasing decisions, I focus on the product. I then gave examples of companies that I find distasteful in the current world who I still buy products from. So companies being distasteful 80 years ago is bad, but will not effect my decision.

To use your WWII example, Toyota supported the Imperial Army. I find WWII Japan exponentially more disgusting than Nazi Germany (WWII Japan was basically the closest you can get to an evil nation with no redeeming features), Toyota is still probably my favorite overall car company. Was is wrong that they aided Japan's aggression and colonization? Yes. Did they have a choice? Maybe. Should we hold this against them now? No.

My standard this whole thread is history does not matter for current products. Now, if in 2023 Toyota was running as advert that called WWII the war of American aggression I would find that disgusting.
May 23rd, 2023 at 2:57:41 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: Gandler
Being offended is not being discrimated against. This is an absurd comment.

That statement was for more insight, not the explanation of reverse discrimination.

The entire post is definitely not absurd.
May 23rd, 2023 at 3:11:32 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: rquiredusername
Stop being such a prude it’s the 21st century. American/Chinese, gay/straight, male/female, it’s all the same thing anyways.

If a firm is prejudice, I'll point it out and reserve the right not to buy their product with my earned income.
June 7th, 2023 at 3:38:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Anybody else but me watch Steven Crowder?

"Being gay in Russia is illegal. Being a pedophile in
Russia is so illegal that they will commit suicide by
stabbing themselves in the back 34 times on the way
to prison."

Justice, they used to call it..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 8th, 2023 at 6:15:21 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
Anybody else but me watch Steven Crowder?

"Being gay in Russia is illegal. Being a pedophile in
Russia is so illegal that they will commit suicide by
stabbing themselves in the back 34 times on the way
to prison."

Justice, they used to call it..

I tried to, but I don't have enough discipline and respect. (Not originally my joke, but funny enough to repeat)
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 10th, 2023 at 6:08:44 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
38% of Brown University students identify as LGTBQ+.
July 10th, 2023 at 6:33:36 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: SOOPOO
38% of Brown University students identify as LGTBQ+.

It is the latest fad so probably will go higher.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin