Andrew Yang seems pretty awesome

August 16th, 2019 at 8:50:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
I never said I supported UBI
I'm a registered republican voter that's a fiscal conservative.
I strongly believe that we should all live under a balanced budget
but
The budget is exploding under Trump
Why vote republican if its the spend spend spend party. Its fiscally irresponsible.

Because Trump wanted to save HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars by repealing ACA! He was not allowed to by ALL the Democrat Senators and TWO Republican Senators. He TRIED to be more fiscally responsible, but was thwarted by Congress.

Fact.... If Trump could make his own budget, the deficit would be far less than during Obama years. Fact.... Trump can't unilaterally make a budget!
August 16th, 2019 at 9:16:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Because Trump wanted to save HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars by repealing ACA! He was not allowed to by ALL the Democrat Senators and TWO Republican Senators. He TRIED to be more fiscally responsible, but was thwarted by Congress.

Fact.... If Trump could make his own budget, the deficit would be far less than during Obama years. Fact.... Trump can't unilaterally make a budget!

Did he negotiate with the 2 senators and work hard to get stuff passed
or
Did he just give up after one vote.
Fact, the republican party controlled all branches of govt when Trump got elected.
Fact, the republican party of today does not have any interest in balancing the budget
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 16th, 2019 at 9:50:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I agree on the first part. Not so much on the second. The lazy will remain lazy. The "welfare trap" does exist, but there is a class of people who is choose life at substance level over work. On a higher level, have you ever worked with that person who just would not take any OT when offered? Not for other commitments, but they just did not want it. This is hard for those of us with ambition to understand, but they are out there.

Yes, I know there are lots of those types. I'm told in Europe, where welfare is even more generous, there are plenty of able-bodied young people, mostly men, who just choose to not work and collect unemployment and whatever else they are entitled to. I don't deny many will do the same under UBI. However, I assume most of them are already on whatever welfare they can get. That would be taken away under UBI.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 16th, 2019 at 10:43:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Yes, I know there are lots of those types. I'm told in Europe, where welfare is even more generous, there are plenty of able-bodied young people, mostly men, who just choose to not work and collect unemployment and whatever else they are entitled to. I don't deny many will do the same under UBI. However, I assume most of them are already on whatever welfare they can get. That would be taken away under UBI.

I have heard that about Europe. Very lazy as a group, tons of PTO. To the point I wonder how their economies manage. I am also told it is extremely hard to get a regular job there. The USA is easy top get a job compared to the rest of the world. I had a guy from Israel and the USSR before worked for me said we had no clue how easy jobs are here.

Which is why I lean negative to it will encourage people to work.
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2019 at 10:54:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Which is why I lean negative to it will encourage people to work.

It gets worse with every generation.
More and more, mostly men, spend
their lives looking for ways to get
out of working. They're proud of
it, living on freebies. And in Europe
it's so hard to get a job because
it's so hard to get rid of you once
you're hired. Employers are very
picky about who they hire.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 16th, 2019 at 11:24:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
It gets worse with every generation.
More and more, mostly men, spend
their lives looking for ways to get
out of working. They're proud of
it, living on freebies. And in Europe
it's so hard to get a job because
it's so hard to get rid of you once
you're hired. Employers are very
picky about who they hire.

Some people would rather put their efforts to getting on the dole or getting the handout. Like the student loan whiners. I see some put all their faith into getting loan forgiveness. Instead of just getting a good job and paying it off they try to go thru the hoops to get it forgiven. 90%+ fail and end up worse than they started. The EIC people put a ton of effort into making just the right amount. Too many ambitions end where the dole ends.
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2019 at 11:31:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Instead of just getting a good job and paying it off .

In my wife's fam, she has two nephews
who graduated college, worked for a couple
years, hated it, and found wives with
engineering jobs to marry. They immediately
knocked them up and are now full time
stay at home dads while the wives fully
support the fam and even pay off the
student loans.

These guys are boring slugs, when I see
them they have nothing to say on any
subject. Wait till one of these women
wises up and dumps one of them and they
have to go back into the job market.
Crying and wailing will ensue.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 16th, 2019 at 11:41:02 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Did he negotiate with the 2 senators and work hard to get stuff passed
or
Did he just give up after one vote.
Fact, the republican party controlled all branches of govt when Trump got elected.
Fact, the republican party of today does not have any interest in balancing the budget

The two plus 49 were not interested in repealing the ACA. There was nothing he could "give" them. The Republican Party controlled nothing! There were 52 individual Senators, and you know very well, they are elected by their constituents, not "the Republican Party". A few decided that their OWN re-election chances were improved by not helping save the U.S. hundreds of billions and thus they "broke ranks" with the rest of the Republicans.

I'll agree with you that the Republican Party has almost no interest in balancing the budget, but they are WAY less interested in increasing the deficit than the other choice, the Democrats. (UBI, more illegals sucking up services, free tuition to all, free healthcare to all, slave reparations, etc.....).
August 16th, 2019 at 11:42:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
In my wife's fam, she has two nephews
who graduated college, worked for a couple
years, hated it, and found wives with
engineering jobs to marry. They immediately
knocked them up and are now full time
stay at home dads while the wives fully
support the fam and even pay off the
student loans.

These guys are boring slugs, when I see
them they have nothing to say on any
subject. Wait till one of these women
wises up and dumps one of them and they
have to go back into the job market.
Crying and wailing will ensue.

Were they raised by single moms?
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2019 at 11:49:23 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Wizard
Under a UBI, they will think, I get barely enough to live on for free, but if they will have an incentive to work because they will get to keep what they make.
Naw if they barely have enough to live on, they still won't get jobs. They'll instead start whining to Democrats that they need MORE free money. And of course the Dems will agree. But after they get more, it won't be long until they start complaining that they need even MORE than that.

It's a vicious cycle that will never end. I know these libbies like the back of my hand 🤣