Coming recession

Page 2 of 3<123>
August 15th, 2019 at 6:28:46 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
The most impressive thing about the last recession was the way it started. I think for most people not directly connected to the market, it was like hearing about a disaster, with no effect on the sunny days and calm weather. One business day still looked like the next for most people for quite awhile but as the weeks rolled on, the impact became much more apparent.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 15th, 2019 at 6:43:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
The most impressive thing about the last recession was the way it started. I think for most people not directly connected to the market, it was like hearing about a disaster, with no effect on the sunny days and calm weather. One business day still looked like the next for most people for quite awhile but as the weeks rolled on, the impact became much more apparent.

What I found interesting about it is its effects were sort of reversed geographically. It hit the sunbelt and southwest far harder than the midwest and northeast. Running joke was that someone forgot to tell the restaurants here as on Fridays you could not get a seat. They were jammed most nights, really on weekends. Meanwhile I heard of how bad it was back in AZ/NV.

After the initial shock it was good for you if you were in the mortgage industry. Clean up the mess after years of processing the mess. Dummy up and process.
The President is a fink.
August 15th, 2019 at 10:30:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
Bill Maher said on his show last Friday that he's rooting for a recession.

I'm sure that there Democratic POTUS candidates thinking the same thing, although they would never voice that sentiment.

I would not be surprised if there is a dispute after next election. In 2016 there were ten faithless electors in the U.S. Electoral College.

The United States Constitution does not specify a notion of pledging; no federal law or constitutional statute binds an elector's vote to anything. All pledging laws originate at the state level.
August 15th, 2019 at 10:36:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
GE may implode
Cant be good for the economy
The story out there is that they are hiding massive debt from investors

"GE shares tank more than 10% after Madoff whistleblower calls it a ‘bigger fraud than Enron’"
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/15/ge-shares-drop-after-madoff-whistleblower-harry-markopolos-raises-red-flags-on-its-accounting.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 15th, 2019 at 1:40:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
I'm sure that there Democratic POTUS candidates thinking the same thing, although they would never voice that sentiment.

? Talking down the economy is all they do when the GOP is POTUS. I remember Hillary blaming "Bush Policies" for lack of jobs in NY while the rest of the USA was booming.

Meanwhile, Obama had historically high unemployment but they shouted "jobs growth."
The President is a fink.
August 16th, 2019 at 3:39:26 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: ams288
Bill Maher said on his show last Friday that he's rooting for a recession.

Another reason not to subscribe to HBO.

Do you agree with him?

Only a sick, selfish and disgusting creature would make a comment like that. The last recession cost nine million jobs in the USA alone. It caused continuing damage to the global economy, and damaged the lives of billions of people.

We will never know how many suicides it caused.
August 16th, 2019 at 5:22:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Tanko

Do you agree with him?

As of now I'm indifferent. I have a good education so I'm not worried about how a recession would affect my career.

However, if I did some research and found that a recession would disproportionately harm Trump voters, maybe I would be on Maher's side. I like when people suffer consequences for their dumb actions.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 16th, 2019 at 6:16:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko

Do you agree with him?

Only a sick, selfish and disgusting creature would make a comment like that.

Chill out, he's a comedian.
People on the right have no sense of humor
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 16th, 2019 at 1:58:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Chill out, he's a comedian. People on the right have no sense of humor

Actually, I just got the same sentiment on facebook from a college friend who is a gay, very successful, real estate salesman in Brooklyn.

Some businessmen I know were very happy with the 2018 results as they want the Republican Presidency/Senate and the Democrat House to cancel out the efforts of the other side. It is called politicophobia .
August 19th, 2019 at 7:26:35 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

“The fundamentals of the economy are very strong.” - Kellyanne Conway, this morning

Gee, when have I heard that before???

John McCain said it in September 2008
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 2 of 3<123>