Woodstock 50th Anniversary

Page 2 of 3<123>
August 17th, 2019 at 7:16:44 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
There is a Trivial Pursuit question about some act, Hendrix I think, screaming the NYS State Thruway is closed. Even today I cannot imagine that area handling 1/10 the traffic.

Arlo Guthrie. It's on the album
August 17th, 2019 at 7:26:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mosca
Arlo Guthrie. It's on the album

Cool. When I heard the question I knew Woodstock as a bird.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2019 at 2:45:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Question. As we know, most of the bands at Woodstock are today huge names. I don't need to bother naming examples. However, they were paid relatively little by today's standards. I believe Jimmy Hendrix was paid the most at $18,000. My question is, was the low pay because:

1. Rock bands just didn't get rich back then, by today's standards.
2. The names were not so well known in 1969.
3. Their main motivation was royalties on record sales.
4. Their main motivation was the love of music.

Another question is did everyone know that Woodstock would be as huge as it was when tickets were for sale? Seems to me that if you hold a music festival on a farm with poor public road access, you're not expecting an enormous crowd.

I was four at the time, so have no first hand experience.

p.s. I hear it's a thing to lie and say you were at Woodstock. Would anyone believe me if I said I was there, as a four-year-old?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 17th, 2019 at 4:49:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Wizard
p.s. I hear it's a thing to lie and say you were at Woodstock. Would anyone believe me if I said I was there, as a four-year-old?

If we knew your parents were old hippies, sure.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 17th, 2019 at 5:42:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Question. As we know, most of the bands at Woodstock are today huge names. I don't need to bother naming examples. However, they were paid relatively little by today's standards. I believe Jimmy Hendrix was paid the most at $18,000. My question is, was the low pay because:

Another question is did everyone know that Woodstock would be as huge as it was when tickets were for sale? Seems to me that if you hold a music festival on a farm with poor public road access, you're not expecting an enormous crowd.

Second part first, lots more people did show up than expected. I saw once that they stopped even taking tickets the crowds were so large. IMHO, most of the crowd came from eastern PA and northeast. I doubt many traveled more than 400 miles for it. Remember, it was just a music festival. Marketing dollars would not be spent cross country, not when downstate NY would fill it up. They moved it to its actual location and notified the public by ads in the NY area papers. Again IMHO, 85% of the people there were from Westchester to Long Island.

To the first part, I think it was that entertainers were just not as well paid and had to more "work for a living." Celebs were not as celeb. Ever hear of how even in the mid-60s a person could be playing BJ next to Sinatra? So they had to do this kind of gig.

It also did build their brand. Record companies may have pushed some into it.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2019 at 5:58:44 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22

My mom took my sisters to see Bob Dylan in 1963. They were 9 and 11. Not quite four, but pretty young.
August 17th, 2019 at 6:20:05 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman
Second part first, lots more people did show up than expected. I saw once that they stopped even taking tickets the crowds were so large. IMHO, most of the crowd came from eastern PA and northeast. I doubt many traveled more than 400 miles for it. Remember, it was just a music festival. Marketing dollars would not be spent cross country, not when downstate NY would fill it up. They moved it to its actual location and notified the public by ads in the NY area papers. Again IMHO, 85% of the people there were from Westchester to Long Island.

To the first part, I think it was that entertainers were just not as well paid and had to more "work for a living." Celebs were not as celeb. Ever hear of how even in the mid-60s a person could be playing BJ next to Sinatra? So they had to do this kind of gig.

It also did build their brand. Record companies may have pushed some into it.
That's right no ticket necessary. My brother has his original three day ticket still perforated in mint condition. Six bucks a day eighteen for the weekend. My cheapo sister only bought Friday so she saved twelve bucks, but no memorabilia.
August 17th, 2019 at 7:06:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: pew
That's right no ticket necessary. My brother has his original three day ticket still perforated in mint condition. Six bucks a day eighteen for the weekend. My cheapo sister only bought Friday so she saved twelve bucks, but no memorabilia.

eBay it now! This is probably the peak price. As boomers age the market will crash same as older collector cars cannot find owners.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2019 at 7:07:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: pew

Had to laugh at someone selling pristine 69 tickets, advertising them as one of the few original Woodstock items not covered in mud.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 17th, 2019 at 9:23:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Woodstock was mostly word of
mouth, it was a phenom. And
yes, the performers were very
well known, that's why they
went to such lengths for
it to be recorded professionally
for an album. Ever hear the
record? It was a very expensive
production and it turned out
great.

This still gives me gooseumps.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 2 of 3<123>