Quote: Evenbob
I have two chargers. One of them will
start a car with a dead battery.
Nice
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 25th, 2016 at 2:22:46 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I'd defer to petro, but I'll toss some of my country hunchin' in the mix.

No, a batt shouldn't go dead like that, but while this certainly leans towards a battery issue, check it first before buying. That whole "click, click, then start" certainly has me thinking starter as well. Dead batteries typically don't gain charge from use, which is what you're doing when you attempt a start. My mail truck did the same thing. Click click click a hundred times until it caught just right and then it would fire. It was a starter problem. I do believe just about any parts store will do a batt check free of charge.

Don't waste money on a "stronger" battery. I can't see you driving something with 13:1 compression, and I know it ain't freezing at your house.

And remember, the alternator is there to power systems, not to recharge a battery. The battery starts the car, the alternator powers radio, windows, lights, etc. Using the alternator to charge the battery is like using the battery to run the lights. It'll work. And then it won't. And then you're out $X00.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 25th, 2016 at 3:05:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
It'll work. And then it won't. And then you're out $X00.

That's what I said. An alternator will
not charge a dead battery, it will burn
out the alternator instead.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 25th, 2016 at 3:15:44 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
That's what I said. An alternator will
not charge a dead battery

Mine did =)

Quote: EvenBob
...it will burn
out the alternator instead.

Mine didn't XD

I just had to spell it out because that is probably one of the most widely held convictions there is. Every single person experiences a low battery at some point. Every single person will then get it started and drive it. And viola!, they don't need a jump now! So must be it charges the batt.

I held it. For years I held it. Why you think I only drove stick? lol I never had a good battery because it was only a problem if I let it sit. Otherwise, "the alternator charges it". And it really did and really never burnt out.

But I got lucky. With the draw today's cars put on with their 200 watt Dolby and GPS and phone charger... did you know cars have multiple computers now? You're gonna burn up the alt. And you lose full electric to these modern cars and it could be game over. All sorts of stuff could cease to work.

And no one drives stick anymore, a dead batt turns into a whole thing. Who needs it.

What kind of jumper you have? I had a slick one for years that had the jump, air compressor, 12v cig lighter hole thing, and you could plug appliances into it. It's pretty much dead now so I'm in the market.
April 25th, 2016 at 4:09:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
This is the one that starts the car. I'm
a big Schumaker fan, they're indestructible.
The one I use the most is their 6-12
volt I bought in the 80's. I read guys
say their using a Schumaker they bought
40 years ago, using it in their shop a
few times a week.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 25th, 2016 at 4:42:07 PM permalink
Face
My mistake. That's a charger. I'm looking for a jump box. Looks like the official term is "battery booster".

You plug it in to charge it and take it with you. Jumps batteries, fills tires, charges phones, can run a box fan. ATV, boat, home power outage, I got a billion uses outta the one I had.
April 25th, 2016 at 5:18:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

So here's the deal - I have two batteries on my boat. Both are marine batteries, sealed, constructed similar to a car battery except (I assume) made to better withstand vibration.

IIRC Marine batteries are made to withstand longer idle periods of no use and no charging than a battery for a passenger car.
The President is a fink.
April 25th, 2016 at 6:28:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
IIRC Marine batteries are made to withstand longer idle periods of no use and no charging than a battery for a passenger car.

That's correct
They are designed to deeply discharge over a period and then can be recharged
Car battery is not designed for a deep discharge, they supposed to be mostly fully charged all the time.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 26th, 2016 at 12:55:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
This jump starter is the size of a smartphone:

April 26th, 2020 at 11:26:30 AM permalink
Face
F#$%ing batteries, man...

HOW do you tell when a battery is flat vs battery being s#$%? I don't f#$%ing understand how one can have so goddamn many problems with these Christing things...

Boat batteries are damn near new. I pulled them in Oct, charged them fully, then stored them in the basement all year. Last month I charged them all back up and reinstalled them last week. THEY'RE ALL F#$%ING SHOT.

Charger brings boat battery to full. Won't even lower the mf'ing motor without dying. Charge it back up, I get 3 revolutions on the starter and it's dead, not even strong enough to fire a brand new motor.

Deep cycle up front? They say they're full. Plug in the motor and kick it on, IMMEDIATELY drops to 25% charge. Stop using it and it quickly "refills" up to 75%. Start using it again and immediately back down to 25%. And dropping fast.

HOW?!?!
Page 2 of 3<123>