Tulsi Gabbard

Page 3 of 38<123456>Last »
August 19th, 2019 at 6:22:48 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Gandler
Tulsi Gabbard is another candidate that I feel is strong.

Yeah uh...I love Tulsi and her positions, but she is only "strong" in your feelings. Sadly she has about 0% chance.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
August 19th, 2019 at 6:37:57 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AcesAndEights
Yeah uh...I love Tulsi and her positions, but she is only "strong" in your feelings. Sadly she has about 0% chance.

Well not zero, statistically she is slightly above the center of the pact. But, she is still not going to win you are right most likley.

But, yes I mean she is strong personality and politically. I feel that she has a lot of potential, and even though she will not win this election by all probability, she is certainly posturing to have a strong political future.

She certainly will continue to be strong presence in Congress for the foreseeable future which is a good thing. And, as others have said she may go on to run for governor (though personally I would prefer to have her stay at the federal level, and run for Senate).

"Big tech. Overreaching government. Our constitutional rights are under attack. As president, I’ll protect your rights to free speech, civil liberties and personal privacy because they’re essential to our American values and must never be compromised." —

I like this statement that she tweeted the other day. She is right that big tech companies are degrading both privacy and free speech. Yes, I know some will say private platforms have the right to ban anyone and do anything with data that they collect as they are private companies. But, with so many communications happening on modern social media, they are effectively becoming massive powerhouses.
August 19th, 2019 at 7:17:18 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Gandler
Well not zero, statistically she is slightly above the center of the pact. But, she is still not going to win you are right most likley.

But, yes I mean she is strong personality and politically. I feel that she has a lot of potential, and even though she will not win this election by all probability, she is certainly posturing to have a strong political future.

She certainly will continue to be strong presence in Congress for the foreseeable future which is a good thing. And, as others have said she may go on to run for governor (though personally I would prefer to have her stay at the federal level, and run for Senate).

Yeah a Senate run seems likely in her future. With Hawaii's small population and her local popularity, she could probably slide right in to one of those seats assuming one of the incumbents decides to retire.

Pretty crazy fact that I just discovered: since it was admitted to the Union, there have only been seven *total* people to represent Hawaii in the Senate. I guess it makes sense given how recently it was admitted (1959) and how long Senate terms are. Just seems weird.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
August 19th, 2019 at 7:53:23 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Put your hat in the ring. Be part of the problem, instead of a recipient. That could be your campaign slogan.

"Winchester surpasses Apple in Forbes Top 100"
"Thousands of Bills fans in 'reeducation camps' as new President cleans up the streets"
"BREAKING: Arkansas now Ecuadorian territory in a game of "First Biggest Most" gone bad"
"Amazon stocks crash: 'We can't cope with the Horseback Initiative; Bring back our trucks!'"
"Winnepeg, North Minnesota"
"President spends $400mm a year on vacation; 'You ever try to get a Nimitz class up the Erie Canal?' quotes one official"

At least I won't sell your grandkid's future to the .coms.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 19th, 2019 at 8:48:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
"Winchester surpasses Apple in Forbes Top 100"
"Thousands of Bills fans in 'reeducation camps' as new President cleans up the streets"
"BREAKING: Arkansas now Ecuadorian territory in a game of "First Biggest Most" gone bad"
"Amazon stocks crash: 'We can't cope with the Horseback Initiative; Bring back our trucks!'"
"Winnepeg, North Minnesota"
"President spends $400mm a year on vacation; 'You ever try to get a Nimitz class up the Erie Canal?' quotes one official"

At least I won't sell your grandkid's future to the .coms.

"Reservation Lands of I-86/Thruway Resurfaced!" ??????
The President is a fink.
August 19th, 2019 at 10:09:20 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
"Reservation Lands of I-86/Thruway Resurfaced!" ??????

We're talking becoming president, not a freaking deity LOL
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 19th, 2019 at 10:14:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Pretty crazy fact that I just discovered: since it was admitted to the Union, there have only been seven *total* people to represent Hawaii in the Senate. I guess it makes sense given how recently it was admitted (1959) and how long Senate terms are. Just seems weird.

Alaska only elected their 8th Senator in 2014.

Arizona has been a state since 1912, and until January 3, 2019 they only had 12 different senators including some of the longest serving men in the history of the Senate. Starting January 3, 2019 Sen. Martha McSally was appointed to finish McCain's term and Kyrsten Sinema (Democratic) was elected.
August 19th, 2019 at 10:34:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Sadly she has about 0% chance.

Odds maker have her below the top 6 candidates

Elizabeth Warren
Joe Biden
Bernie Sanders
Kamala Harris
Pete Buttigieg
Andrew Yang
Tulsi Gabbard

but higher than a number of long-shots

Cory Booker
Kirsten Gillbrand
Beto ORourke
Tom Steyer
Marianne Williamson

Considering her military background, youth, good looks, and the fact that she will almost certainly become a Senator or a Governor in two years this campaign is not hurting her in any way, and should help if she runs in 2024. At least then if she is elected she will be 47 days older than JFK when he took the office.

If recent history is any guide it normally takes two terms for the American people to get sick of one party and elect a POTUS from the other party. Reagan's extreme personal charisma seems to have broken the rhythm.

2 terms Republican - Eisenhower
2 terms Democrat - Kennedy/LBJ
2 terms Republican - Nixon/Ford
1 term Democrat - Carter
3 terms Republican - Reagan/Bush
2 terms Democrat - Clinton
2 terms Republican - Bush
2 terms Democrat - Obama
1 term Republican - Trump
??
August 19th, 2019 at 11:13:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

If recent history is any guide it normally takes two terms for the American people to get sick of one party and elect a POTUS from the other party. Reagan's extreme personal charisma seems to have broken the rhythm.

2 terms Republican - Eisenhower
2 terms Democrat - Kennedy/LBJ
2 terms Republican - Nixon/Ford
1 term Democrat - Carter
3 terms Republican - Reagan/Bush
2 terms Democrat - Clinton
2 terms Republican - Bush
2 terms Democrat - Obama
1 term Republican - Trump
??

Bush41 probably could have won reelection had he not rested on his laurels and played prevent defense after the Gulf War ended. Instead he let himself and the economy get defined by the other side. The whole Bush family seems to think they do not need to put in effort to win election. 43 nearly made the same error but rose far higher in approval and Kerry was too wooden. Jeb thought the field would clear for him but Trump took him behind the woodshed.
The President is a fink.
August 19th, 2019 at 12:51:28 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Bush41 probably could have won reelection had he not rested on his laurels and played prevent defense after the Gulf War ended. Instead he let himself and the economy get defined by the other side. The whole Bush family seems to think they do not need to put in effort to win election. 43 nearly made the same error but rose far higher in approval and Kerry was too wooden. Jeb thought the field would clear for him but Trump took him behind the woodshed.

Bush41 is complex, there are a whole host of reasons culminating in him losing re-election to an (at the time) relatively unpopular canidate. Ross Perot ran, and ended up taking a good 16% from Bush, Clinton won with a small minority (less than 50%).
Page 3 of 38<123456>Last »