Donald's Mexican wall

Page 4 of 9<1234567>Last »
August 26th, 2019 at 5:35:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
I'm not sure what reliable source you have for that estimate.
I don't recall the source, it was from something I'd read several years ago.

Thanks for the correction.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 27th, 2019 at 2:17:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I stated in the beginning [years ago] that I don't support this wall project. My objection is because I support animal migrations. Build most of it if they must, but leave large enough sections open for dear, antelope, jaguar Javelina etc.

None of those animals migrate. They wander from place to place, that is not migration. If a wall goes up they will just move around on one side or the other. Birds migrate, but birds can just fly over a wall of course. Fish migrate, but that has nothing to do with the wall.
The President is a fink.
August 27th, 2019 at 6:25:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I don't recall the source, it was from something I'd read several years ago.

Thanks for the correction.

The numbers are important. If we see it as a drop from 12 to 10 million, and now under 5 million from Mexico with 2/3 of the people here for a decade or more, it looks a lot less like an invasion, and the wall is not as critical.

Since a greater percentage is coming from Central America, it might be possible to slow that down with ideas like the Republican proposed bill whose purpose of the bill is to make it easier for other countries to adopt the U.S. dollar as their official currency.
https://www.congress.gov/congressional-report/106th-congress/senate-report/354/1

The US Dollar is the official currency of 2 of the 7 countries in Central America. If all 7 countries adopted it, the monetary policy of the region would have to stablize. But poor countries cannot adopt the dollar without help.
August 27th, 2019 at 10:21:37 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Pacomartin
The numbers are important. If we see it as a drop from 12 to 10 million, and now under 5 million from Mexico with 2/3 of the people here for a decade or more, it looks a lot less like an invasion, and the wall is not as critical.

MIT/Yale study says 22 million, not 11 million undocumented immigrants in US.

The report is a year old. Make it 23 million.

Less of an invasion?

"Border authorities detained nearly twice as many migrants — 268,044 — in the first five months of the fiscal year that started in October than were detained in the same period the previous year."NYT
August 27th, 2019 at 10:48:29 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: AZDuffman
I stated in the beginning [years ago] that I don't support this wall project. My objection is because I support animal migrations. Build most of it if they must, but leave large enough sections open for dear, antelope, jaguar Javelina etc.

None of those animals migrate. They wander from place to place, that is not migration. If a wall goes up they will just move around on one side or the other. Birds migrate, but birds can just fly over a wall of course. Fish migrate, but that has nothing to do with the wall.
National Geo @ 4 minutes ; https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/magazine/focal-point/0000015e-10ab-db02-a9df-1ebf636a0000

https://medium.com/center-for-biological-diversity/5-animals-threatened-by-the-border-wall-3160a6bbfd85

https://www.foxnews.com/world/experts-warn-800-species-many-endangered-affected-by-border-wall

"Of the 800 species that will be affected by President Trump’s border wall, 140 are in danger of extinction, including the bald eagle, grey wolf, armadillo and jaguar, a big cat of which remain only 10 in the highlands of the Sonora Desert that straddle Arizona. Those animals whose range will be halved by the border wall’s construction will be impeded in their ability to reproduce with other members of their species, thereby creating a shallower gene pool and heightening the chance of inbreeding."

If the wall must be built, leave overpasses or bridges or open pathways for the animals. It's not that hard to add that part to the est. 20 billion dollar project.
August 27th, 2019 at 10:51:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman

National Geo @ 4 minutes ; https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/magazine/focal-point/0000015e-10ab-db02-a9df-1ebf636a0000

https://medium.com/center-for-biological-diversity/5-animals-threatened-by-the-border-wall-3160a6bbfd85

https://www.foxnews.com/world/experts-warn-800-species-many-endangered-affected-by-border-wall

"Of the 800 species that will be affected by President Trump’s border wall, 140 are in danger of extinction, including the bald eagle, grey wolf, armadillo and jaguar, a big cat of which remain only 10 in the highlands of the Sonora Desert that straddle Arizona. Those animals whose range will be halved by the border wall’s construction will be impeded in their ability to reproduce with other members of their species, thereby creating a shallower gene pool and heightening the chance of inbreeding."

If the wall must be built, leave overpasses or bridges or open pathways for the animals. It's not that hard to add that part to the est. 20 billion dollar project.

Bald Eagles being affected by a wall? Really?

I highly doubt that with all that open area an animal will not have sufficient range to thrive. Animals are not going to walk miles to find an overpass because they want better tacos. They will adapt.
The President is a fink.
August 27th, 2019 at 11:19:22 AM permalink
petroglyph

Bald Eagles being affected by a wall? Really?

I highly doubt that with all that open area an animal will not have sufficient range to thrive. Animals are not going to walk miles to find an overpass because they want better tacos. They will adapt.
I'm not worried about eagles. I've seen to many of them hanging out at the dump.

The problem for raptors is the windmills and solar.

I'm positive that no one involved with the construction of the wall cares much about my opinion, which is what my post is.

The nine eleven radical jihadi muslim terrorists did not come to America on foot. And seeing as how, we haven't even investigated the country where 15/19 originated from, it is impossible for me to get behind the fear mongering of the threat of monsters walking in.

As far as searching for work is concerned, that's what I did for most of my adult life. I don't blame the people, that's what I'd do, and that's what you would do.

The problem is not that we need a new fence. AFAIK, all the fence construction sans the last few weeks has been replacement fencing. How smart is that?
If you were a farmer and had x dollars for fencing, is that what you'd do is tear down existing fence and replace with new, or would you complete the opens, and come back to the existing to replace?
August 27th, 2019 at 11:29:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Tanko
MIT/Yale study says 22 million, not 11 million undocumented immigrants in US.

The report is a year old. Make it 23 million.

Less of an invasion?

"Border authorities detained nearly twice as many migrants — 268,044 — in the first five months of the fiscal year that started in October than were detained in the same period the previous year."NYT

Quote:
The researchers also noted if the undocumented population is twice as high as previous estimates, that means the incidence of criminality among undocumented immigrants is half as high as previously reported.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 27th, 2019 at 11:29:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman

The nine eleven radical jihadi muslim terrorists did not come to America on foot. And seeing as how, we haven't even investigated the country where 15/19 originated from, it is impossible for me to get behind the fear mongering of the threat of monsters walking in.

Ask an American Indian how well open borders worked out.
The President is a fink.
August 27th, 2019 at 11:38:17 AM permalink
petroglyph
Ask an American Indian how well open borders worked out.
https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall/story/tohono-oodham-nation-arizona-tribe/582487001/

Like that?
Page 4 of 9<1234567>Last »